Author Topic: Preview: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

It's the crossover so nice, Hyundai designed it twice: the 2013 Santa Fe will be offered in two distinct models, one with five seats and another with up to seven.

Read More...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 05:31:18 am »
Needless to say another Hyundai hit in the making, very nicely done.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:01:19 am »
Being an owner of the current model (2010 Limited) I think I should weigh in on this subject.  Personally I think this is a great vehicle.  The reason me and my wife bought this vehicle is because it was the best all arounder.  Meaning that it wasn't the winner in any one category but was very strong in all the categories that truly matter.  This new one seems to be a step up from our vehicle.

This article completely missed the mark though because they didn't mention the most important part of this redesign.  It's significantly lighter than the previous model.  I've heard that it's in the 200 pound range lighter.  That's huge because that will help in all aspects.  I love that they made the base 4 cylinder more powerful, and that should have been done a long time ago with the engine out of the Sonata available.  Personally I would rather have a V6 than a turbo 4 cylinder but I understand the thinking of it (fuel economy).  I am disappointed that they are basically scrapping their 3.5L V6 that they just made back in 2010 for the refresh of this model.  I thought for sure that they would have gave it direct injection and class leading fuel efficiency and power with over 320 hp.  Instead they took the engine out of the new Azera (which I love but for some reason isn't sold in canada) to give it better fuel economy but only average power with the Explorer and Durango (both that I feel are direct competitors with the longer Santa Fe).

I fully predict that this vehicle will do very well and keep the Santa Fe sales in the top 10 in Canada.  A clever thing is that by axing the Vercruz and basically replacing it with a longer Santa Fe that should increase the sales automatically.

Offline jaman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +43/-573
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:12:06 am »
I hope they no longer install fake wood interior trim in the base model (from the pics I've seen that seems to be true). That was one thing that really turned me off from the previous model, otherwise I might have pulled the trigger back last Sept.

The 200 pound weight loss mentioned seems promising, only good things can come from that.

Offline DarkHelmet

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '10 Golf 2.5 5-spd, '06 X-Trail BV
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:42:09 am »
I hope they no longer install fake wood interior trim in the base model (from the pics I've seen that seems to be true). That was one thing that really turned me off from the previous model, otherwise I might have pulled the trigger back last Sept.

Ditto on the fake wood.  I test-drove the 3.5L and absolutely loved everything, but couldn't get past the trim and decided to wait it out. 

Can't wait to see the new model(s)!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:45:27 am »
The 7-passenger looks like a cross between an Explorer and Sienna.

The style for both Santa Fe's are a big step in the right direction from the previous gen. I wonder if there will be confusion between the 'Sport' and the 7-passenger model.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12351
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:10 am »
They'll do real well with this.  I like the engine options and the fact that you can choose 5 or 7 seats.  And that the 7-seater is actually a stretched long wheel base version - they didn't just stuff two rumble seats in the cargo bay of the 5 seater.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:15 am »
Agreed that Hyundai will do very well with this new one.  That is an extremely nice looking CUV.  And like Jaeger mentioned, I think it was very smart of them to actually extend the wheelbase on the 7 seater.  Well done Hyundai!
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:25 am »
Incorrect the current Santa Fe 4 cylinder is a 2.4, not a 2.5 Canadian Driver.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:40:17 am »
:banghead:

Thanks!
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:36 am »
I like that 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe offers a 4cycl in both turbo and non-turbo versions (albeit different sizes) and a V6. As much as I like the Hyundai 4 cylinder turbo which does not have to use premium fuel, I'm not assured about turbo I.C.Engines and longevity. If I were leasing this vehicle 3-4 years I would go with the turbo. If I was planning to keep it longer or do high mileage I would go with the non-turbo, if mostly city driving I'd choose the 4 cyl and if highway or hauling some weight the 6 cyl would be my choice.

I can see Hyundai doing well with this new style and engine options. With each sound product they produce the public becomes more confident with the brand.

Based on pictures I'm liking this over the new 2013 Ford Escape. Understanding that pictures are nothing like the real thing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:00:41 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:45 am »
Wow. I'm liking that extended wheel base version and its 3.3L DI engine. I definintely will put this vehicle on my list of if it's got good cargo room when its rear seats are folded down. Any idea on price yet?

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:54:36 am »
IMHO, I think the 5 seater looks a little Murano-ish from the side.  I really like the look of the longer 3 row version.  4 captain's chair available?  Can't wait to see that!  The front looks great.  I'm looking forward to seeing this one in person.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 10:27:08 am »
  A clever thing is that by axing the Veracruz and basically replacing it with a longer Santa Fe that should increase the sales automatically.

I was wondering about this as I read the article. If true, it really should be mentioned in the article that the LWB model replaces the Veracruz.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:30:37 am »
very limited info on the Hyundai website http://santafehyundai.ca/index.php it says the 5-seater available fall this year and the 7-seater early 2013

nsmyhte

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 11:17:43 am »
Wow, the extended wheelbase version looks identical to the Maxda CX-9.  Thats a pretty nice vehicle to copy, though.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 02:37:04 pm »
They both look good to me. However, the Sport, having such a huge C pillar, should be the one with the available blind spot monitor imo.

Offline SMMN

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 03:05:55 pm »
As the owner of a Veracruz, Hyundai has lost me as a customer unless they field a Genesis or similar replacement for it.

While the long wheelbase Santa Fe is made to fill the gap of the departing Veracruz, I don't want to drive a Santa Fe. They are as common around here as Cavaliers and it was always nice to drive something that was differentiated from the Hyundai line-up.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 03:43:06 pm »
As the owner of a Veracruz, Hyundai has lost me as a customer unless they field a Genesis or similar replacement for it.

While the long wheelbase Santa Fe is made to fill the gap of the departing Veracruz, I don't want to drive a Santa Fe. They are as common around here as Cavaliers and it was always nice to drive something that was differentiated from the Hyundai line-up.

SMMN, what don't you like about your Veracruz? 

I like both models, but I would like an option to have only 5 seats in the extended wheelbase model for more storage w/o added weight of the 3rd row seats.
That would also provide some sort of hiddle storage compartment under the floor too.

Great job on Hyundai with their nice designs as of late :)

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 05:12:34 pm »
they know what they are doing, i'll give Hyundai that. Dropping the manual (who bough that?), and making the LWB model a V6-only (so the journos cannot complain about another big, somewhat underpowerd CUV...and (thankfully) instead of making both versions entirely different models (which they easily could have  :-\), they bucked the industry trend and kept the the 2 vehicles under 1 nameplate instead of just trying to market "niche vehicles", i am a fan of this.

Imho i think the LWB version is the nicer looking of the 2 (hate the C-pillar on the short one) but both are much better looking than the previous generation...which was just toyota highlander levels of bland.

Of all the technological knickknacks in cars nowadays, i'm intrigued by the "DSSM" feature. If it turns out that this system can legitimately make a difference in steering feel to suit the preferences of different drivers then i am so ready to see that feature trickle down into many other automaker's offerings. I like the idea behind this because i find that the helm in many new/newer vehicles i drive to be ridiculously over-boosted to the point where it may as well be a video game and i plug my xbox controller into a port where the steering wheel should go