Author Topic: CTC Review: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD  (Read 13983 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:40:44 am »

2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Click Image to Enlarge

I drove the Toyota Matrix XR back in January, so getting behind the wheel of the Pontiac Vibe so soon afterwards was a great opportunity to determine if there are really any differences between these models besides a few option packages and styling.  My Vibe tester had the same 2.4-litre engine as my Matrix tester, but instead of powering only the front wheels the Vibe was an all-wheel drive version -- perfect for some of the winter weather I had while testing.   More...

Offline dkerr24

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
RE: CTC Review: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:35:08 am »
I agree that of the two vehicles, the '09 Vibe has the Matrix beat in the looks department. 

As an owner of a 2003 Matrix XR, I have appreciated the great fuel economy and interior load space of the Matrix.  For me, the 1.8L engine with 5 speed manual has more than enough power for my driving.  On highway trips to New Mexico, I have logged over 38 mpg.

I wish they would offer a fully loaded Vibe with the 1.8L engine instead of the 2.4L.  I like the options, but don't want or need the added power and lowered fuel economy of the 2.4L.

Cortina

Re: CTC Review: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:27:00 am »
Isn't this too late for this model. Who is Pontiac anyway.  :P The Vibe was GM best car that Toyota makes.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:32:20 am »
Pontiac? I remember those from when I was a kid....didn't they go out of business or something? ;)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: RE: CTC Review: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:47:51 pm »
I agree that of the two vehicles, the '09 Vibe has the Matrix beat in the looks department.

The Vibe has always looked better than the Toyota version, imo.  And with better pricing and more incentives because it's a GM, why would anyone buy the Matrix anyway?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:55:14 pm »
we doan need no stinkin' BADGES on similar cars isn't that wot Pontiac/Gm/Obamobile decided.........overpriced minis CUV's whose daze have passed..but there is "ONE" born every minute.............Buy them 2nd hand if U must they are dropping like "cold cakes"!!!........that is sh*t mileage ...buy the Rav 4.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:33:10 pm »

As an owner of a 2003 Matrix XR, I have appreciated the great fuel economy and interior load space of the Matrix.  For me, the 1.8L engine with 5 speed manual has more than enough power for my driving.  On highway trips to New Mexico, I have logged over 38 mpg.

I wish they would offer a fully loaded Vibe with the 1.8L engine instead of the 2.4L.  I like the options, but don't want or need the added power and lowered fuel economy of the 2.4L.

I'm with you. The 2.4 is a very thirsty engine compared to the 1.8, but I don't think it feels powerful enough to offset that. For its fuel consumption, the 2.4 should be making at least 170 hp, not the 158 it makes in the Matrix/Corolla.
I used to work here.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:14:27 pm »
I suspect the Matrix AWD version is going to be relatively short lived in it's current form.  The 2.4 is a carry over from the Camry and the 4 speed auto is out of date.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 05:05:16 pm »
I'd be interested, but the fuel economy is disappointing.  Same money as the Impreza, inferior AWD and less power but the same fuel consumption.

The only real advantage of the Matrix/Vibe over the Subaru is the lower service costs if you go by the book.  (Subaru has costly "inspections" every 6K, where Toyota has simple/cheap oil/filter changes every 8K)

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:52:46 am »
As a former owner of a 2004 Vibe, I can tell you that the cost-cutting in the current model is evident throughout.  In fact, I was so disappointed that I ruled it off as a replacement when the lease on my 2004 model was up. 

For example, the rear hatch glass no longer opens seperately, a feature which was actually very useful for long 2x4's.  The fabric and plastic quality in the interior was clearly inferior than the first-generation model, and for safety considerations, the rear hatch base now has a "lip", which makes it difficult to slide heavy objects in and out.   The roof bars and the fog lights are no longer standard options.  The front passenger seat on the base model no longer fold forward all the way down, as it did in the first generation, unless you pay for it as an option.  This was a veryuseful feature for loading long objects, or as a temporary platform for the laptop when working on the road (not while moving of course).   

In fact, the only noticeable improvement I saw was the inclusion of standard Stablitrak and ABS, both of which were options on the earlier model.  There are now also standard side airbags, which were also not available in the first generation Canadian models (oddly, it was always available as an option on the US models).

In sum, very little mechanical improvement, but considerably downgrade in terms of quality of the trim bits and other features.

I think for my money, I'll look at an Impreza.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:54:45 am by infinitime »

goonboy

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:53:47 am »
Why would anyone want to buy a Pontiac Vibe over a Toyota Matrix?  Try resale value.  Your Vibe will be worth a pile of doodoo in 5 years when they stop making parts, let alone right after you take the car off the lot.  I can't believe how short sighted people are. 

TCO= total cost of ownership is something that is sorely overlooked by car buyers.  Edmunds.com is a great site for telling you which car will be the cheapest to run from a reliability, depreciation, maintenance and operation point of view.

goonboy

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:59:09 am »
The Pontiac Vibe = the best car Pontiac never made. 

If you can't beat 'em (the imports), let your competition make 'em. 

Pontiac should have let Toyota make all of their cars, then maybe they wouldn't be going out of business (and Chrysler for that matter as well).

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 07:59:12 am »
goonboy, parts don't fall off the face of the earth when Pontiac goes away that is short sighted IMO.  Plus it is a matrix, Toyota will stock the parts.  Aftermarket always has parts available as a last resort (or first as they are always cheaper anyways)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 08:59:23 am »
I have a hard time getting my head around buying a car based on how much money you will lose selling it. I suppose if you know that you will sell your car every 5 years becuase you want a new car every 5 years . But with todays cars the LIFE of the car is much longer than 5 years. If you keep the car for 10 years the difference in depreciation between a Vibe and a Matrix is likley not relevant.

Deprectiation is theoretical until you actually sell the car.

As for the Vehicle itself the high fule consumption and 4 speed auto make it pretty unappealing . I'd take an Impreza any day.

Offline dkerr24

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 11:07:20 am »
The reason I bought the Matrix over the Vibe in 2003 wasn't price.  At that time, the models were almost identical in price.  The biggest reason then was the ugly Pontiac plastic cladding on the Vibe was a huge turnoff for me.  I've seen how that cheap plastic ages in the sun and is hard to keep clean.  The Matrix on the other hand, didn't have that plastic.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 01:39:16 am »
I have a hard time getting my head around buying a car based on how much money you will lose selling it. I suppose if you know that you will sell your car every 5 years becuase you want a new car every 5 years . But with todays cars the LIFE of the car is much longer than 5 years. If you keep the car for 10 years the difference in depreciation between a Vibe and a Matrix is likley not relevant.

:iagree:  You always lose buying new, so if resale is such a big deal, you should not be looking at new cars, period.  When I bought my Fit, that Honda has high resale was a plus, but it wasn't a defining reason for my decision.  If GM had offered something as good or better, I would have chosen it, inferior resale value or not.  I buy cars based on what I want to drive, not based on what will be worth the most in five years.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:37:41 pm by Demosthenes X »

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 01:14:52 pm »
To anyone who thinks that the Vibe is the best Pontiac, obviously hasn't driven any other models.  The G8 is clearly the best Pontiac, and the best large car under 50K, period.  Don't believe me, pick up a Car & Driver, Motor Trend, or Automobile magazine once in a while. The Vibe should have been offered with the 2.2 or 2.4 ecotec engines.  More power and similar, if not better mileage. That 1.8 might be okay for a lightweight Corolla, not a heavier wagon like the the Matrix and Vibe.

irony

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »
^^ Interesting that the G8 is an imported vehicle but the Vibe is build in North America.  The Global Village indeed.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 09:14:52 pm »
The Pontiac Vibe = the best car Pontiac never made. 

I'd far, far, far sooner have a G8 than a Vibe. ;)

Or a Matrix for that matter.

Speaking of the G8....there must be some decent discounts on them now that Pontiac is walking dead. Hats off to someone.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 07:25:44 pm »
Hats off to someone.

Solciting donations for the "Buy mmret a G8" fund, are we?