Author Topic: Feature: More hybrids on the way  (Read 8731 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: More hybrids on the way
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:03:08 am »

A recent survey of Gen Y consumers explains why automakers are bullish on hybrids.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Feature: More hybrids on the way
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:23:51 am »
Certainly the hybrids are becoming more numerous as manufacturers feel their way into this market.

Toyota is still the clear leader and I'll be looking at the Prius C.  However, I read somewhere that the C gets lower mileage on the highway than the regular Prius.  If so, this is a deal killer.

Maybe the IQ Hybrid.

The Jetta hybrid brings the Jetta ratings down to the range where most compact (non-hybrid) cars reside.

I'm still waiting for the killer app of hybrids - a small vehicle designed to get great mileage on the highway.  Maybe this was the original Honda Insight and since that flatlined in sales out of the gate no other manufacturer will touch that approach.  Pity.

From my point of view though, a required application of hybrid technology is the ability to shut off the engine while going down a hill at any speed or with a tail wind at light throttle.  This kind of embedded hypermiling would certainly boost efficiency on the highways and secondary rural roads.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:48:11 am »
If a hybrid already has electric steering assist then the only thing that is needed for your proposal would be electric brake assist. With the engine off there will be no vacuum for a brake booster.  Nothing new or difficult about this, Citroens had hydraulic brake assist for years with a reservoir of pressure which was part of the steering assist and the suspension. Carefully done so that if there was a lack of engine power or a leak the brakes were available until the last drop of fluid even though the car would be nearly scraping the ground by then. 
With a Hybrid with that huge battery, which of course can be recharged while rolling down the hill should be much easier than Citroen's 1950s solution.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:52:39 am »
my point of view though, a required application of hybrid technology is the ability to shut off the engine while going down a hill at any speed or with a tail wind at light throttle.  This kind of embedded hypermiling would certainly boost efficiency on the highways and secondary rural roads.
2010 Prius does that now,

Offline The Face

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:07:39 am »
I don't know who they survey about hybrids, because if they had asked me I would tell them that I'm not buying the BS about hybrids or supposed gas shortages. It's just a scam to make the price of gas stay artificially high and to make even more obscene profits for oil companies. Now the car manufacturers are getting in on it, too, by building these hybrids that are priced in some cases 30 or 40% percent higher than similar gasoline models! Taking advantage of the gullible and easily panicked public, these things have no travel range, and batteries that cost almost as much as the car to replace! It's time for the sheep and lemmings to wise up. There will NEVER be one of those electric stupidities in my driveway, that's for sure!
old enough to know better, too young to care!

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:01:05 am »
The Jetta hybrid brings the Jetta ratings down to the range where most compact (non-hybrid) cars reside.

At the Detroit auto show, Volkswagen announced an estimated 45 MPG rating on the US EPA for the Jetta hybrid which would put it on par with the 2012 Civic Hybrid (4.5 L/100 km according to Natural Resources Canada) and a lot better than all non-hybrid compacts.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:08:11 am »
"I'm not buying the BS about hybrids or supposed gas shortages."

The reason for the move to higher efficiency is two-fold. 

The first is climate change and the need to reduce carbon emissions.

The second is the peak or short term plateauing of world oil production. 

Either one of these is enough to justify decisive efficiency improvements.

A large topic but if you don't buy into both of those, your life will be a blur of blindsides over then next several decades.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:32:01 am »
I really thought that VW would be the first to introduce the worlds first diesel hybrid. Would've made sense too with the Jetta name brand being synonomous with diesel.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:59:19 am »
"I'm not buying the BS about hybrids or supposed gas shortages."

The second is the peak or short term plateauing of world oil production. 

Cheers,
John M.

That is the big one.  Basically 1/6 of the entire worlds population (China) is just beginning to buy up cars at the rate Europe/N.A./S.A./East Asia already have been.  The strain on the world's oil resources is about to get a lot worse in the next few decades if over all vehicle consumption is not lowered.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:43 am »
Hmmm...if gas is going to get expensive in the future, methinks I am going to buy the cars/trucks I actually want right now.  This way I can at least reminisce on the glory days when we are all ultimately driving the plain vanilla golf carts JohnM promotes. ;D

I agree.    Anyway, Canada has enough oil for a century or so and after that we can make coal into synthetic gasoline for another century or two...why should we care if the rest of the world has to drive hybrids or walk.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:56:29 am by tpl »

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 11:41:10 am »

At the Detroit auto show, Volkswagen announced an estimated 45 MPG rating on the US EPA for the Jetta hybrid which would put it on par with the 2012 Civic Hybrid (4.5 L/100 km according to Natural Resources Canada) and a lot better than all non-hybrid compacts.

Who are the idiots out there to spend so much money to invest in the Jetta Hybrid which has the same if not WORSE  ;D fuel efficiency than a Jetta TDI  ??? ???

If VW are going to produce Hybrid, should they try to combine TDI with Hybrid together ;) Anyone can comment on about Diesel Hybrid as I am not sure if it is technically possible/feasible?

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:02 am »

Who are the idiots out there to spend so much money to invest in the Jetta Hybrid which has the same if not WORSE  ;D fuel efficiency than a Jetta TDI  ??? ???

If VW are going to produce Hybrid, should they try to combine TDI with Hybrid together ;) Anyone can comment on about Diesel Hybrid as I am not sure if it is technically possible/feasible?

Here you go Peugeot is doing it. It is possible. Other factors may be at play here. http://www.treehugger.com/cars/peugeots-60mpg-diesel-hybrid-crossover-taking-orders-now-video.html
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:28 pm »
...I'm gonna get my KICKS en route sextexty sex (66) in this...........on my way to Barstow and hot desert chix's... ;D :stick: :bounce: :banana: :banana: :banana: :light: :iagree:.............

Oh my gawd it's a Man Hole cover................and i'm in the OUT _BACK... :think: :nono: :hello: :hide: :spam: :spam: :spam:

who'd drive an HYBRID..it sWITCHES off at every OPPORTUNITY :stick: :eye:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 02:51:57 pm »
Motoring TV had a nice review of the Infiniti M35h last weekend.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 04:46:36 pm »
Just two points on the supply issue.

1.  It doesn't matter how much we in Canada do or don't have because we'll be paying world prices for it.  The oil companies aren't here to subsidize our comfort.

2.  "Using it up before it's gone" is exactly like running up your credit card debt before you die and leaving your children to pay for it.  These are debts that can't be written off.

On the less grim side, hybrids offer a slew of interesting technologies and driving style options which the ICE simply can't.  Reduction of noise, elimination of local pollution and (one of my favourites) reduction of brake wear are all positives.

Plus it may give keeners the opportunity once again to gainfully modify their cars.  Once in-wheel motors become a common design option, the life of the shadetree mechanic will become whole again.  Just don't be lying in a puddle when you are doing the mods.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:23 pm »
Hmmm...if gas is going to get expensive in the future, methinks I am going to buy the cars/trucks I actually want right now.  This way I can at least reminisce on the glory days when we are all ultimately driving the plain vanilla golf carts JohnM promotes. ;D

:fiver: Live now die later....

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 05:58:36 pm »
"So, I say again, use it while you can afford it."

Position yourself and your family for higher and for several generations, ever-increasing energy costs.  Leave something for the kids.  Your parents did.

This is about how we face the future and the party-on attitude simply doesn't fly unless you think this is the last generation.  Personally, I don't think it is time to drink the Koolaid and await transport to a higher plane so we will have to look after what we have.

Embrace the horror of a new approach to personal transport.  There are some aspects that can be enjoyed.  I even like CVTs.  Who knew?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline The Face

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 07:46:23 am »
Well, I've read that oil is, in fact, NOT a fossil fuel, but actually a natural fuel that is reproduced deep in the world's crust. Scientists are currently investigating ways in which to draw this oil from the ground to make the supply virtually un-ending. This oil is found at much deeper depths than where fossils are found, at depths of a mile or two below the surface. This "secret" is closely guarded by governments and oil companies for obvious reasons - to keep the gullible public thinking that the world's oil supply is threatened - and then turning that panic into artificially higher prices for oil, and the lemmings paying more money for hybrids than regular vehicles.  >:(

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 07:54:45 am »
 :laugh:

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:56 am »
Either way your dire predictions of exhausted supply come true.  The only difference is that I drive a crappy car as of right now if I listen to you.   

A hybrid, electric or otherwise fuel-efficient car doesn't have to be a crappy car. As this article indicates, more choices are coming to market.