Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Infiniti JX  (Read 9500 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Infiniti JX
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:06:39 am »

Infiniti created the JX to slot between their sporty FX and full-size QX, and it delivers the brand's unique styling in a luxurious and practical package.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: First Drive: 2013 Infiniti JX
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:39:31 am »
$49900 with the premium pkg seems like pretty agressive pricing to me. This looks like a good luxury people mover for people that don't want a van. Not sure if I'd be a buyer with the CVT but maybe that won't matter to most of their target market.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:18:43 am »
I quite like it overall - particularly the interior.  But I'd like it a bunch more with the 3.7l / 8 speeed auto drivetrain from the Infiniti lineup as opposed to the 3.5l / cvt.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:53:19 am »
The 3.7 L is mated with a 7 speed gearbox. But I agree, that's a great drivetrain

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:38 am »
Yep - my mistake.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:44:02 am »
Looks like good value, great choice for a well heeled family. I like the lines

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/6897346036/

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:53:03 am »
People like to rag on CVTs but I've driven a Maxima with this drivetrain and I was happily surprised at just how good it was. I'm sure it's fine in the JX too.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:26:05 am »
<div style="text-align:left">

Infiniti created the JX to slot between their sporty FX and full-size QX, and it delivers the brand's unique styling in a luxurious and practical package.

<a href=http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2013-infiniti-jx>Read More...</a></div>
The cheapest house for sale on non-Kia-wah Island currently...
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/42-Trumpet-Creeper-Ln_Johns-Island_SC_29455_M65141-38360?ex=SC545158118
Taxes ~$9k last year
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:27:16 am »
I quite like it overall - particularly the interior.  But I'd like it a bunch more with the 3.7l / 8 speeed auto drivetrain from the Infiniti lineup as opposed to the 3.5l / cvt.

Jaeger

Agreed as amended.

Too bad one needs to spend over $7k to get the oem video monitors in the back. If this was a stand alone option at a reasonable price the $44k base becomes a very good deal for families.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:39:49 am »
It has to have the 3.5L V6 and CVT, the engine is pointed the wrong way.

There is no Horizontally opposed application for the 3.7L V6 in the Nissan/Infiniti Lineup nor is there a FWD-based 7-speed transmission (or any speed actually, they are all CVTs).

For the JX to have anything but the 3.5L and CVT, either a whole new platform would have had to have been created, or an existing one heavily modified.

It makes more financial sense to base this rig off of a the stretched Murano platform like they did.  Plus, the new Pathfinder will be based off the same platform.  Yes...a Cross-over, CVT Pathfinder (with FWD options potentially)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:04:52 am »
People like to rag on CVTs but I've driven a Maxima with this drivetrain and I was happily surprised at just how good it was. I'm sure it's fine in the JX too.

I've driven the Maxima too - it was high on the intended purchase list to replace my '07 Altima.  It wasn't horrible by any stretch, and for the most part the CVT was pretty much "okay".  But I sure wouldn't choose the CVT over a DSG or a good 6 speed automatic.  Ultimately the CVT was a deal breaker - not because it was terrible, but because for my purchase dollars the drivetrain has to be better than just passably okay.  I have to actually like it.

I think the more sporting the vehicle's intention (or pretention) the less appealing I find the choice of a CVT.  It might be I'd find it less off-putting in something like this JX versus the Maxima.  But I still suspect my dollars would end up going to something with a conventional auto and a bit more power. 

Jaeger

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:28:10 am »
I also agree that the price point is really good for this vehicle, and the way those 2nd row seats fold forward is pretty amazing, even with a child seat installed. If I was in a market for such vehicle, this would be tops in my list.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 10:00:28 am »
Like everyone else here I was disappointed with the CVT and the 3.5L engine.  Both seem out of place in a luxury vehicle of this size.  They based this off the Murano platform, my question is why didn't they base it off something like the M?  That way you'd have the length and a much better driving dynamics with the option of having the much better 3.7L engine and 7 speed transmission.  That might have increased the price though so I guess there has to be come kind of give and take.

Personally I would go over to ford and get the Flex with the ecoboost V6 instead of this vehicle.  Plenty of room, much more refined powertrain, and a very good ride.  Only downfall is the resale value and the exterior styling.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:05:29 am »
Looks like a nice package and I wish it was available when we were shopping. I'm not sure if the second row would be limited due to the third row.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:10:50 am »
I really like this vehicle a lot!  The interior is gorgeous.  If I was in the market for this type of vehicle it would be at the top of my list.  I am pleasantly surprised with the pricing too. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 11:45:42 am »

I've driven the Maxima too - it was high on the intended purchase list to replace my '07 Altima.  It wasn't horrible by any stretch, and for the most part the CVT was pretty much "okay".  But I sure wouldn't choose the CVT over a DSG or a good 6 speed automatic.  Ultimately the CVT was a deal breaker - not because it was terrible, but because for my purchase dollars the drivetrain has to be better than just passably okay.  I have to actually like it.

I think the more sporting the vehicle's intention (or pretention) the less appealing I find the choice of a CVT.  It might be I'd find it less off-putting in something like this JX versus the Maxima.  But I still suspect my dollars would end up going to something with a conventional auto and a bit more power. 

Jaeger

I completely agree with the assessment re: Maxima & CVT - if Nissan is going to market that vehicle as the "4DSC" (flagrant false advertising IMO when no M/T is offered!), then the CVT - good as it is - is not the right transmission.  It doesn't make the Maxima a bad car at all, but other than the styling and a few features, why is it any better than a V6 Altima?  It certainly isn't "sportier", even with 19" wheels and a different suspension tune.

Now for the JX, I can't see how the CVT will cost Infiniti any sales.  It certainly hasn't cost the Murano any.  Could it be a problem for the upcoming Pathfinder, with its proud off-road history?  Maybe, but not for Infiniti's family luxo-barge.

I'd like to see a comparison of a top-of-line Quest against the base Infiniti JX.  Both would come in about the same price (~ 45K before tax).  Both are skewed towards the luxury/touring side of the driving spectrum.  Infiniti has AWD, Quest probably has more features at that price, and likely a little more space (though not as much as other minivans).  But I'm guessing Infinit will sell FAR more JXs than Nissan does Quests.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 12:02:24 pm »
Now for the JX, I can't see how the CVT will cost Infiniti any sales.  It certainly hasn't cost the Murano any.  Could it be a problem for the upcoming Pathfinder, with its proud off-road history?  Maybe, but not for Infiniti's family luxo-barge.

I'd like to see a comparison of a top-of-line Quest against the base Infiniti JX.  Both would come in about the same price (~ 45K before tax).  Both are skewed towards the luxury/touring side of the driving spectrum.  Infiniti has AWD, Quest probably has more features at that price, and likely a little more space (though not as much as other minivans).  But I'm guessing Infinit will sell FAR more JXs than Nissan does Quests.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the CVT will cost Infiniti sales of the JX - merely that I would prefer a conventional transmission and a bit more power.  The comparison with the Quest is interesting.  The short answer is that some people wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan.  But for those less image-obsessed, the Quest arguably offers "more" in a luxurious but completely non-sporty people mover, for less money.

Jaeger

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
I just finished a week in the Murano and I think the drivetrain is a great match for this segment. The CVT wasn't simply acceptable, it was good—throttle response is very immediate, and the engine has plenty of power to move the Murano from a standstill and the CVT makes it possible to dip into the power for highway passing with no delay and no lurch—just a steady shove that gets you going. The key to CVTs seems to be pairing them with sufficient power, sufficient sound insulation and/or an engine that will drown out any whine—the 3.5 is plenty enough in that capacity. Just as Grant says, this thing may not have the athletic chops of the MDX, but if it's anything like the Murano, it will make up for it with smoothness and efficiency that will definitely appeal to people that are already in love with this interior.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:31 pm »
saw it at the auto show..  i thought it was a very nice car.   ..but just ..maybe, the corporate interior may be becoming too common.  all infiniti interior look the same to me now..  they are nice, but too familiar, perhaps?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 08:49:03 am »
I just finished a week in the Murano and I think the drivetrain is a great match for this segment. The CVT wasn't simply acceptable, it was good—throttle response is very immediate, and the engine has plenty of power to move the Murano from a standstill and the CVT makes it possible to dip into the power for highway passing with no delay and no lurch—just a steady shove that gets you going. The key to CVTs seems to be pairing them with sufficient power, sufficient sound insulation and/or an engine that will drown out any whine—the 3.5 is plenty enough in that capacity. Just as Grant says, this thing may not have the athletic chops of the MDX, but if it's anything like the Murano, it will make up for it with smoothness and efficiency that will definitely appeal to people that are already in love with this interior.

The guys at InsideLine are similarly impressed with this drivetrain in the Quest - some said they actually prefer it to the conventional automatics in the Sienna and Odyssey.  Suprised the heck out of me - that definitley wasn't how I felt about the CVT in the Maxima.  Like I said, I may find it more appealing in a van / big crossover that doesn't have any sporting aspirations.

Jaeger