Author Topic: Why do motorcyclists do the things they do?  (Read 18768 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Why do motorcyclists do the things they do?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 05:06:59 pm »
When I lived in smaller towns I drove bike as much as I could, makes an ordinary drive special. Good for making trips more interesting too, as well as the commute to work and getting groceries. And not particularly dangerous. In 30 years of driving I was hurt only once.

But in Edmonton now, where traffic is heavy, it's just not the same. The fun goes way down and the danger goes way up. Rush hour in Lethbridge is like a quiet Sunday morning here.

I suppose so.  I'm not near any major town....my mind would likely be changed is I was in a bonkers city.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 05:16:51 pm »
When I lived in smaller towns I drove bike as much as I could, makes an ordinary drive special. Good for making trips more interesting too, as well as the commute to work and getting groceries. And not particularly dangerous. In 30 years of driving I was hurt only once.

But in Edmonton now, where traffic is heavy, it's just not the same. The fun goes way down and the danger goes way up. Rush hour in Lethbridge is like a quiet Sunday morning here.

I suppose so.  I'm not near any major town....my mind would likely be changed is I was in a bonkers city.

If I were to buy a bike, no way would I commute on it, weekends, sure, rush hour in the south of Edmonton.....no spank you very much!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »
I actually enjoy commuting on a bike, along with the weekend rides and road trips too.  To me it's the same as driving a nice roadster to work, it just makes the commute that much nicer. +1 on a bike.

My commute is about half an hour, not too many curves, but still good fun.  It gets the adrenaline going in the morning, and is a nice way to end the day too.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 05:23:56 pm »
I actually enjoy commuting on a bike, along with the weekend rides and road trips too.  To me it's the same as driving a nice roadster to work, it just makes the commute that much nicer. +1 on a bike.

My commute is about half an hour, not too many curves, but still good fun.  It gets the adrenaline going in the morning, and is a nice way to end the day too.

I particularly like my ride home, Bob.  When I go to work..it's HOT.  But on my way home...at 4-5am...it's 70-75 out with empty roads and just a beautiful ride!

However...today I'll be riding home in thunderstorms...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 07:26:26 pm »

But street bikes?  The imperative to perceive every other vehicle on the street as a lethal weapon under the control of a dimwit takes much of the fun out of it.
Let's see, the list of my favourite activities:
  • Sport bike
  • skiing. Hurt my knee badly once.
  • DH MTB.....around the world. This is similarly risky, if not moreso than street bikes
  • scuba diving.....admittedly have not had time to do this except once in South Africa. But licensed, and would do it again
Not to mention that I designate certain secteurs of autoroutes as "autobahns without restriction". 160, 180, 200....what I feel like is appropriate. And there's nothing that puts you quite on the edge as driving 160+ on the A5 near Frankfurt am Main right on each others' bumpers.....because that's what the Germans do (I don't mind, I jump on the bandwagon  :P )

There is risk, and participation of such things implies acceptance. However, I do what I can to mitigate, and the rest is...well, acceptance that things can happen. It's not like people don't die in automobile accidents.

I don't live in a big urban area and my commute is short, 10km one way. On occasion l ride the bike, but I prefer to keep it as a weekend enjoyment toy. I leave the car at home and go out and enjoy the mountainside and all it has to offer on my bike. But in crowded areas, or if I'm running errands weekdays, it's not unlike driving a car in the sense that you predict others' behaviour and prepare in advance- as mentioned in the article, looking for an escape route. All in all, riding is much more enjoyable and to me, cannot be experienced at a similar level on 4 wheels.

I don't live near a big urban centre (CLT is 2h away, why would I ride there? ) so don't have too many issues with severe congestion. Locally, I filter if the queue is very long though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:30:55 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 08:54:41 pm »
Your advantage in Germany at least is people are required to take some form of driver training before actually driving a car.  :)
Watch out for the PL (Poland) drivers. They don't use mirrors. :shuffle: This means they will change into the left lane on the A2 even if there's a massive speed differential.

Would be interesting to ride a motorbike in another country (not Asia). I've driven 8 countries incl once on the wrong side- I have the most trouble in the US but generally it is manageable. When I was in BC, it was cool to see all the different bikes they rode there ("Oh look it's another R3"). But insurance is hugely expensive in Canada.  :(

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 11:17:00 pm »
Why do motorcyclists move around in their lane?

I also move around in my lane to avoid objects, imperfections, potholes, cracks, manholes, etc.

So you might add that to the list.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 12:29:59 am »
I usually ride slightly left of center in the lane if possible.  Off the center crown and not too close to either side.  I like to "protect" my lane space.

If you can't keep completely within your lane in a corner then you're riding too fast.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 09:26:56 am »
^ That's a good point. Fredericton had 60k people or so and Regina is a bit over 200k. Riding in the GTA? I'm not so sure if I would.

Which brings up a point, why on Earth would anyone live in a metropolis? ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 09:43:26 am »
^ That's a good point. Fredericton had 60k people or so and Regina is a bit over 200k. Riding in the GTA? I'm not so sure if I would.

In Toronto, the appeal is the quality professional hockey team.   :rofl2:

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:57 am »

Heres hoping Toronto gets an NHL team soon.....I heard their Wednesday night, beer league team...what are they called, the Leafs, aren't doing that well  ;D

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 10:36:03 am »

I thought the Leafs were a quasi-professional golf team. Am I wrong after all of these years seeing them out as soon as the courses open?

Heres hoping Toronto gets an NHL team soon.....I heard their Wednesday night, beer league team...what are they called, the Leafs, aren't doing that well  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2016, 10:57:35 pm »
Recently a friend was lucky he wasn't riding near the center line, a truck coming in the opposite direction pulled out to pass a car and didn't care my friend was on a bike meeting him, his truck mirror broke off my friend's clutch lever and cut his finger.   

Didn't stop either.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 11:58:54 am »
At the risk of prolonging the derailment of Jacob's thread, I will share this:  Got up early both days over the weekend to exercise.  Each morning there were separate news reports of local motorcycle deaths.  Made me think of this thread.

Also, on the same days, lots of biker went out and had a fun day.  But it wasn't in the news.

About 200 motorcyclists die in Canada each year, about the same that die from boating.  So hey, I'll just stay out of the water.  ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 01:21:07 pm »
At the risk of prolonging the derailment of Jacob's thread, I will share this:  Got up early both days over the weekend to exercise.  Each morning there were separate news reports of local motorcycle deaths.  Made me think of this thread.

Also, on the same days, lots of biker went out and had a fun day.  But it wasn't in the news.

About 200 motorcyclists die in Canada each year, about the same that die from boating.  So hey, I'll just stay out of the water.  ;D
+1 I was going to say. Last weekend I went out and rode another 200-250km without incident. It was a nice bright spot to my days. I focused on my turn-in points, worked on descending steep (>9%) gradients, and enjoyed the scenery.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 11:48:45 pm »
I commute everyday on my scooter. I loathe driving in traffic. On days when I can't take my scooter, I'd rather take the bus than drive. And that speaks a lot since I'm not a huge fan of taking transit anymore. In Vancouver, there was a bigger benefit of riding to work since motorcycles are allowed on HOV lanes and pay half the tolls. In Kelowna, it's just my love of being on two wheels.

Being a defensive rider is the best way of preventing accidents -- even the ones that aren't your fault. I'll never stick around in a vehicle's blind spot (thus the slingshotiong past cars in the article), my focus is on making myself visible on the roads, and I expect that people can't see me anyway. Kelowna drivers are a lot more attentive to motorcyclists, maybe because there are some many of us here. I do find Okanagan drivers more aggressive though especially with the Albertan influence, whereas Vancouver drivers are more incompetent. Jacob mentions making wide sweeping left or right turns and while that goes against what my riding school in Vancouver taught me (left turns from lane position 1, right turns from 3), wide turns is something I've adapted in the Okanagan because of the tailgaters. Speaking of tailgaters, while I am a fairly confident rider, nothing freaks me out more than tailgaters. Dear drivers, please do not tailgate us.

One thing I've learned from riding school that I practice and advocate is maintaining dominant lane position. If you're in the left lane, stay in lane position 3 (to the right of centre) to maintain dominance of the lane and prevent drivers for squeezing into your lane. If you're in the right lane, stay in lane position 1. If you're in a centre lane, you will probably have to figure out which position is best to take based on the drivers around you and you may have to switch around from time to time. To you new riders at least in BC, you do not have to signal to change lane positions but you need to shoulder check, your road test examiner will be looking for that. If you're approaching a blind crest in the hill or you're going through an intersection where cars in the other direction are waiting to turn left, go to lane position 3 (right of centre). You'll be more visible there and out of harm's way. Also by being in lane position 3, you prevent motion camouflage especially with those waiting to turn left. A motorcyclist who appears to be moving sideways to a driver is a lot more visible than a motorcyclist who's coming straight at the driver.

Green good, red bad:

The only thing I don't agree with is lane splitting, except in California. Until it's legal, I have no temptation to try it. And even if it were legal, I'd probably only do it in the worst of traffic when it's over 30 Celsius.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 08:17:32 am »
I was thinking yesterday.   Do any riders.   Weave around in their lane when approaching an intersection with somenone waiting to turn onto the road or cross it?

I'm thinking a weaving object is much more visible in a quick scan that a driver would do then a bike driving straight and smooth.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 08:35:51 am »
I wouldn't because it would potentially confuse a driver but also because then I run the risk of being out of shape should I need to brake or swerve for any reason . I spend my time approaching intersections scanning the waiting cars and setting up to stop/escape.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48:18 am »
Probably best to hang a Pokemon on the top of your helmet.   They will wait there for it

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:18 am »
Any of the resident bikers wear fluorescent safety vests?

Nope.  I draw the line at flouro gear.