Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Subaru Forester  (Read 43591 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Subaru Forester
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:31:22 am »

The 2014 Subaru Forester sticks to the compact SUV formula, offering convenience, practicality, and a bit of extra oomph for upgraded XT models.

Read More...

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: First Drive: 2014 Subaru Forester
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:30:21 am »
Can't see any reason so far that one of these won't make it to our driveway in 2015 when our current one is due to be replaced. Interesting to see how folks respond to the slightly larger size.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:04:52 am »
 ??? ::) Wot Foresters ONLY LAST 4 YEARS.... :stick: :think: :shuffle: :banghead: >:D .

Inco give us the GOOD and the BAD of your years in the FOREST..if a tree drops does it reduce your desire for checkered Bold RED shirts????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:45:26 am »
When your lease is up, it's up and time to move on. ;D  Three Foresters and one Legacy later kinda indicates that the other half is going to stay with the Subatoy family. Can't fault the decision - they have all been good for us.

Offline Ravenorxs

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 Suzuki Aerio, 2007 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:59:44 am »
Can't say I'm a fan of that front fascia :p

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:05:00 am »
..FOUR SUBATOYS...wot dating service ya using,,,,, ;) :stick: .....quite the LEGACY :P ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:55 am »
Can't say I'm a fan of that front fascia :p

fixed that for ya...................oops why NOT walk in front of it with a RED FLAG....... :light: :shuffle: ..

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:12:14 am »
That was the longest First Drive I have read on Autos.ca.  Longer than most test drives, and the last page looks like a copy and paste from a Subaru source, the details for each trim rivals your Buyers Guide.

Hopefully we can see a new comparo this year, with the new engine in the Mazda CX-5, the new Rav4, the new Subaru Forester, the Escape, and Honda CRV, and the Tiguan (I assume this is the class it competes in.  I've been told the Equinox is too big against some of these other CUVs.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:19 am »
That was the longest First Drive I have read on Autos.ca.  Longer than most test drives, and the last page looks like a copy and paste from a Subaru source, the details for each trim rivals your Buyers Guide.

Hopefully we can see a new comparo this year, with the new engine in the Mazda CX-5, the new Rav4, the new Subaru Forester, the Escape, and Honda CRV, and the Tiguan (I assume this is the class it competes in.  I've been told the Equinox is too big against some of these other CUVs.

+1. The review is quite lengthy but useful. A comparo is in order. I'd be very interested in a Rav4/Forester/CRV shootout.
This Forester looks like I might want to visit my local Subaru dealer for the first time.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:39 am »
"SOLSTICE" is happening March 21st...GIVES U  10 days to drive them all and report back ... ;) :stick: >:D :light: :banghead: :banana: :skid: :drive2: :bow2: :cp2: :flowers: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline CAS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta VR6, GTI 1.8T, 330ci, RSX, SAAB 9-3 2.0T, '13 Accord 6-sp, '15 GTI 4dr w/6-sp
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:08:31 am »
Finally, the Forester is getting with the times. Though some may dispute me, I like the new design.

Offline seale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2L turbo AWD
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 11:13:57 am »
 The front is , well, rather strange looking. Then again, I don't think looks are high for most Subaru buyers so it probably really doesn't matter much.

I looked at a Subaru when I bought my 2012 santa Fe ( V6 AWD ) and, like the article says, they don't seem to deal much on list price ( at least in my area ).

Subara seems very astute in knowing their particular market segment. They don't try to appeal to everyone-smart of them.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:19 am »
   It sounds good. The CVT seems to get a favourable report, which is not ordinarily the case so I suppose the Crosstreck version is also acceptable. Anyway, I remember the original two box wagon style which I seem to think was raised to the Outback version and became the preffered transport for Crockodile Dundee. I liked that model year and since it became a more rounded CUV vehicle my interest seemed to wane a bit. It was like all of the others. Now though it seems to have moved on and become more a mainstream SUV? and hopefully still as capable. The capitals are confusing to me...would the original Outback Forrester be a CUV and this one an SUV? I think this is nice and suppose that it is a bit larger than the Crosstreck which possibly is more the descendent of the Crock. Dundee model. Lost track.
   The dash seems to be un-cluttered and I like that. Quiet also.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:20:33 am by Rupert »

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:27 am »
Nice review (first drive?) Jonathon.  I actually prefer the look of the 2009 - 2013 Foresters, but you can't argue with the other improvements Subaru has made for this generation.  Question for JY - I know they aren't direct competitors, but in your opinion how did the driving dynamics of the new (M/T) 2.5L Forester compare with your Mazda5 long-term tester?  Were they broadly similar (reasonably entertaining family haulers), or was one significantly different from the other?  Those are my two primary "next vehicle" candidates - the 6MT Forester Touring is the likely favourite right now, primarily due to the increased ground clearance and improved interior.  But I still want to give the Mazda5 a shot as well (I'd consider CX-5, but M/T only with the base model rules it out).

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:33:15 am »
I had placed an order for a 2014 XT touring as in February they had sky high residuals which meant a lease payment of $350/month ALL in nothing down for me.  (no PST here and I get loyalty discounts).  After going to the dealer a few times to do paper work etc I switched my order to a 2013 STI instead.  :rofl2:  I think I'll be a lot happier this way.  Neither is in yet though.  Soon I hope.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:15 am »
I had placed an order for a 2014 XT touring as in February they had sky high residuals which meant a lease payment of $350/month ALL in nothing down for me.  (no PST here and I get loyalty discounts).

Damn, that's a fantastic deal. How long was the lease and how many KMs per year?

After going to the dealer a few times to do paper work etc I switched my order to a 2013 STI instead.  :rofl2:  I think I'll be a lot happier this way.  Neither is in yet though.  Soon I hope.

Great choice, congrats.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:20 am »
Finally, Autos.ca has reviewed my reasonable dream!  (Oh come on, if you know me even remotely, you'll know that I'll be all over this thread)

Mr. Yarkony, beautiful review.  It's not long - but specifying the trim levels does take up some space.  Still, I appreciate that you went through the effort!!!  If you don't feel like reading it, skip it - wouldn't detract from the review otherwise.

Styling to me is a moot point.  Unless the vehicle has a bum that only GM could love (I'll still never forgive you for making the Aztec), styles change over time.  It's hardly a deal breaker.  I will miss the hood scoop, though, and only accept its omission because of aerodynamic benefits (helping to lower the cd to 0.33 from 0.37) and NOT because of outward visibility thanks to the higher bonnet.  I'd rather my hood scoop and an around-view monitor :P

I'm very impressed and happy with this redesign.  I do like the styling of my 2011 Fozzie XT, but I'm sure the new one will grow on me.  I don't love that the new bumper reduced approach angle by a degree though.  The ground clearance drop from 8.9in to 8.7 is trivial.

The review points out the best attribute of this vehicle -

"No, the purpose of this vehicle is to be the best balanced SUV (capability and practicality wise, not weight distribution) in a highly competitive segment and to offer the best value for those looking to go anywhere and do anything."

It's great to drive, gets highly competitive real world fuel economy (12L/100km with spirited driving in SportHash on a hilly road on Vancouver Island?  Hardly something to gawk about), has true utility, easy to use instrumentation (and quite frankly, that GPS unit doesn't matter to me because it's bundled with Eyesight for $2500, and I, personally wouldn't opt for either), and its AWD has proved to be unstoppable during the recent snowpocalypses.

My love affair continues.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:25 am »
I had placed an order for a 2014 XT touring as in February they had sky high residuals which meant a lease payment of $350/month ALL in nothing down for me.  (no PST here and I get loyalty discounts).  After going to the dealer a few times to do paper work etc I switched my order to a 2013 STI instead.  :rofl2:  I think I'll be a lot happier this way.  Neither is in yet though.  Soon I hope.

Went for a Forester....came home with an STi.....a hardy cheers to you!! Yes, much better decision, as nice as the Forester is, it cant hold a candle to a homologation rally car  ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:20 pm »

Nope, my Mazda6 review was longer  :rofl2: The trim/prices section is a cut/paste/delete the BS. After I had gone on for that many pages and realized I hadn't even begun discussing trims and prices, I just wanted to make sure the information was available, without bulking the review up even further. I thought it would be nice and short, but this car has a rather long and impressive list of features that really surprised me... but none so much as the leap in interior quality.

The comparo will come as soon as the Outlander hits press fleets - RAV4, CX-5 2.5, are already available and Forester will go on fleet soon, I'm sure, but Mitsubishi is a smaller operation, so they are the wild card, but I still want to see how they compare in this mix.

And as to the Buyer's Guide, we're working on that finally, so we won't need to do this again...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 01:24:35 pm »

Nope, my Mazda6 review was longer  :rofl2: The trim/prices section is a cut/paste/delete the BS. After I had gone on for that many pages and realized I hadn't even begun discussing trims and prices, I just wanted to make sure the information was available, without bulking the review up even further. I thought it would be nice and short, but this car has a rather long and impressive list of features that really surprised me... but none so much as the leap in interior quality.

The comparo will come as soon as the Outlander hits press fleets - RAV4, CX-5 2.5, are already available and Forester will go on fleet soon, I'm sure, but Mitsubishi is a smaller operation, so they are the wild card, but I still want to see how they compare in this mix.

And as to the Buyer's Guide, we're working on that finally, so we won't need to do this again...

Thanks for the article.  I am very much interested in the Forester to replace my current car too.

I think Santa Fe w/ 2.4 L NA engine should be in the comparo as well, if possible.