Author Topic: The lowest of lows?  (Read 14433 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
The lowest of lows?
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:52:34 pm »
Well, since NoTo claims ownership of his parents' cars, I'll do the same :D

Bought a 2009 Odyssey Touring, for my mom. I think she should have done this years ago (my parents raised 3 kids with just a Corolla :p)

It's a wonderful rig. I honestly don't get the hate for minivans, when all people do is get CUVs/SUVs which have the disadvantages of a van (size, steering, handling, etc), similar fuel economy, with less space. But choice is good.

Driving: It actually drives rather well. While it's a behemoth, and parking is a huge pain, you'd be hard-pressed to realize you're driving a minivan and not a car except for the ride height. Steering feedback is rather good, perhaps even better than the focus (at the very least it's close), and streets ahead of the Rondo.

Passenger experience: It's a very nice place to relax. I look forward to road trips. And even though I'm not 10, I like having a rear-seat TV. However, this feature did not play into the decision at all. 6 people can travel in complete comfort, and 8 can travel in the van and feel no more cramped than 5 in a full sized car. Cargo space is huge. I'll probably take this van on bike trips, since it's easy to just put the bike in without messing with the seat and wheels.

Flaws: There's a tailgate rust spot, and the 2nd row jump seat cushion is missing. Both will be solved eventually, though the 8th seat isn't that big of a deal. Mechanically, there is absolutely nothing to be done.

Used car purchasing experience: Being in a smaller market, it's hard to find what you like. While we considered bringing a car from Ontario (since my dad lives there and all), it adds a level of complication that didn't seem worth it. However, what was initially intended to be a $10 000 purchase doubled in cost :P (partially due to lack of selection, though this van's price was competitive to others across Canada). However, I think it makes a lot of sense, since this van will be kept a while, and will be used a lot for GTA-NB road trips. The need for mechanic inspections, and potential flaws you don't see (such as the ones with this van) make the process much harder. It would have been incredibly difficult to execute this purchase if we didn't have 2 other cars.

While I still prefer having a manual transmission car, I'd rather a minivan than most SUVs/CUVs. And that's very strange for someone my age.

It was really cold outside, and it's just a minivan, so the photos suck.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: The lowest of lows?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 04:00:56 pm »
Also, DKaz, if you were wondering, this van won't be lowered  :rofl:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 04:12:09 pm »
Well done!...and like VMan bonus points for calling NoTo out.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:23:30 pm »
Nice Odyssey. The steering feel on the Odyssey is amazing, and is not what you expect from a minivan.

My parents have an 05' (same generation as yours), and my biggest complaint is wind and road noise.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
The lowest of lows?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:48:04 pm »
Nice!  I share the same sentiment as you in having a minivan over a CUV/SUV and my purchase of my Odyssey reflects it.  Way more usable space.  And the Odyssey is a great handler.  I've done cloverleafs at a rather high clip and not a squeal from the tires.

With Blizzaks, I drove up an icy slope (freezing rain) without any issues.  Pretty much tells me I don't need AWD.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 06:55:12 pm »
NoTo deserves it! Though he's probably enjoying the Palm Springs weather while I'm going to have to deal with 30 cm more snow tomorrow  ::)

Nice Odyssey. The steering feel on the Odyssey is amazing, and is not what you expect from a minivan.

My parents have an 05' (same generation as yours), and my biggest complaint is wind and road noise.

The wind noise is definitely more than I'd like but it's not that bad. The upgraded sound system solves that problem ;)

Nice!  I share the same sentiment as you in having a minivan over a CUV/SUV and my purchase of my Odyssey reflects it.  Way more usable space.  And the Odyssey is a great handler.  I've done cloverleafs at a rather high clip and not a squeal from the tires.

With Blizzaks, I drove up an icy slope (freezing rain) without any issues.  Pretty much tells me I don't need AWD.

I've not driven the new gen odyssey, but I'm sure it's great. I think this is about as good as handling gets for something this versatile, except for the Diesel AWD Manual Transmission wagon under 30 k ;). Steering feel is definitely what stands out.

You're going into AWD  vs FWD territory there :P. If someone needs AWD, the 2011+ (and and  particularly the 2015) Sienna XLE AWD is an awfully nice rig ;).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 07:14:09 pm »
NoTo deserves it! Though he's probably enjoying the Palm Springs weather while I'm going to have to deal with 30 cm more snow tomorrow  ::)

The wind noise is definitely more than I'd like but it's not that bad. The upgraded sound system solves that problem ;)

I've not driven the new gen odyssey, but I'm sure it's great. I think this is about as good as handling gets for something this versatile, except for the Diesel AWD Manual Transmission wagon under 30 k ;). Steering feel is definitely what stands out.

You're going into AWD  vs FWD territory there :P. If someone needs AWD, the 2011+ (and and  particularly the 2015) Sienna XLE AWD is an awfully nice rig ;).
True.  The Sienna with the updated interior for 2015 would definitely make the decision tougher.  The mouse fur of the previous model years was gross.  Even at the higher trims, the interior was off-putting versus the Odyssey.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 07:42:47 pm »
Congrats on the van from a fellow Ody owner  :)

You'll need membership here: www.odyclub.com

I owned a Gen2 for 9.5 years, then replaced it with a Gen4. Flawless so far, great on gas (highway), and incredible in the snow - that long wheelbase really helps stability.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:25 pm »
First I imagined the thread was about someone's depression. Then I noticed "Show and shine" and of course this has to be the subject. Just doo it  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:13:41 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »
First I imagined the thread was about someone's depression. Then I noticed "Show in shine" and of course this has to be the subject. Just doo it  ;D

... what is this intriguing monstrosity?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:11:04 pm »
First I imagined the thread was about someone's depression. Then I noticed "Show in shine" and of course this has to be the subject. Just doo it  ;D

Came up in the search... Edited for Pi314 inspiration  :D 
Maybe a Pontiac?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:15:08 pm by EV Dan »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 07:14:42 am »
Congrats, nothing beats the utility of a minivan, speaking as an two time Odyssey owner.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 08:17:26 am »
Grew up with a second-gen Odyssey in the family. Absolutely great rig and ran almost problem-free until it had to go because of fist-sized rust holes in the unibody. There really is no better option for hauling people and things.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »
It's a great van, but unfortunately has already been in an accident.  >:(

I was driving to get an autostart remote, and a pickup driver didn't stop at a stop sign and I couldn't stop in time to avoid the crash. I am pleased with how it handled the crash. We'll see what happens.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 12:45:21 pm »
Still driveable?

Regardless, now you can get that rust bubble or whatever it is sanded down and re-sprayed for peanuts.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:22 pm »

So you wrecked your mom's new van...

That sucks, hope it wasn't too serious.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »

I was driving to get an autostart remote, and a pickup driver didn't stop at a stop sign and I couldn't stop in time to avoid the crash. I am pleased with how it handled the crash. We'll see what happens.

That sucks buddy....is it bad??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 01:26:42 pm »

Late-model JDM Odyssey, with cleaver nose job.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 01:29:02 pm »

Late-model JDM Odyssey, with cleaver nose job.

I think you mean the most reliable BMW....in the world.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:53 pm »
Well, since NoTo claims ownership of his parents' cars, I'll do the same :D
I DID NO SUCH THING!  I've always been forthcoming about ownership, mostly always, at least  ::)

Nice! Also, glad you called out NOTO.
:stfu:

Not for another 10 days ;D