Author Topic: Monday Rant: Clear the Snow From Your Carberg, You Goon  (Read 16478 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Monday Rant: Clear the Snow From Your Carberg, You Goon
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:26:31 am »
Yes, you have to clear ALL the snow off your crapwagon, you muppet.
Read More...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:40:59 am by JacobBlack »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Monday Rant: Clear the Snow From Your Carberg, You Goon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 08:39:16 am »
I like how Jacob can turn our top driving pet peeves into an article that's amusing and humourous  :)

Seriously, it takes all of maybe an additional 60 seconds to reasonably clear the snow off one's vehicle.....if you're in a rush, you should have factored that extra 60 seconds into your decision-making.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:51:31 am »
 :winner:

I don't know how many times I've seen idiots run out their car after stopping at a light because all the snow on the roof falls to cover the windshield.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:55:41 am »
I've got to say that I agree. In my neighborhood, only the older crowd seems to actually clear off their cars. The yuppie types and younger kids just can't be bothered. Yet, most of them also elect to park on the street as opposed to their driveways - opposite each other on the side of the narrow streets such that passing them in the snow is next to impossible (nor can they even be bothered to clear their driveways). Makes me wish for an old beater with concrete bumpers!

Offline ArtW

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:28 am »
"You, my friend, are an idiot. Worse: You’re an inconsiderate, selfish, lazy and dangerous road user. You should be sidelined. With force. By a snow plow."

Same applies to those idiots driving blind (lights off) at night relying on DRL's only!!! Where the hell is the police when you need them?

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:48 am »
Very common around here, Ive started calling them tank drivers as the little slit of vision that they scraped with their Air Miles card kind of looks like a tank drivers slit. Plus we get the carbergs, I park my truck outside, if I am taking out after it snows I have a really long, extendable brush that can get the whole roof, no problem.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:00 am »
Years ago I saw a police car trying to pull over an oblivious Celica that had a ton of snow on the roof, hood, rear window, and mirrors. Of course, the Celica driver didn't have a clue there was a cop behind her.

Last week we got a lot of snow and freezing rain and my 3 was completely encased in ice and snow. I cleaned it off as best as I could but there was a good inch of ice on the roof that wouldn't budge. Later that day it flew off the roof as I went around a corner. Oops.   :-[

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:52 am »
Years ago I saw a police car trying to pull over an oblivious Celica that had a ton of snow on the roof, hood, rear window, and mirrors. Of course, the Celica driver didn't have a clue there was a cop behind her.

That is so funny! I would have loved to have heard the conversation that occurred when they eventually did pull over. Wonder if they would have been brave enough to trot out the "How may I help you, Constable?" card!!!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:23:51 am »
So many people don't realize the HVAC system enters the car at the base of the windshield.  The hockey pucks don't clear their car and then the inside of their windows frost up!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:26:19 pm »
so agree with your final statement....

i don't know if people think they are just so great behind the wheel that they can handle the added difficulty level or what. i feel bad when i leave little bits of snow in places.

though i will say that there have been times where i either couldn't clear every bit off the roof or it was ice... i think we have all had that happen at some point (if you park your car outside at least)... that kind of thing is something to be prepared for on the road. all that can be asked is a certain level of effort. i don't expect pick ups to sweep out their bed for example, but a compact sedan should be pretty damn clear.

clearing your car off is not something done 100% for the driver... it is for the safety of other people on the road as well. and don't forget to clear your lights, front and back!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 12:27:21 pm »
I like how Jacob can turn our top driving pet peeves into an article that's amusing and humourous  :)

Seriously, it takes all of maybe an additional 60 seconds to reasonably clear the snow off one's vehicle.....if you're in a rush, you should have factored that extra 60 seconds into your decision-making.

Aw! Thanks buddy!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »
for those with trucks and no box cover - anyone ever shovel the snow out???

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »

I have a few times when the snow was taller than the box sides, otherwise, tailgate down for a few minutes on the backroads I travel in the morning means the box is clear and I didn't blind anyone.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 12:53:59 pm »

I have a few times when the snow was taller than the box sides, otherwise, tailgate down for a few minutes on the backroads I travel in the morning means the box is clear and I didn't blind anyone.

I will have to try that!
 ;)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »
Last week we got a lot of snow and freezing rain and my 3 was completely encased in ice and snow. I cleaned it off as best as I could but there was a good inch of ice on the roof that wouldn't budge. Later that day it flew off the roof as I went around a corner. Oops.   :-[

This.

The roof of my SUV will become ice encrusted on occasion, either due to fluctuating temps around the zero mark or possibly from heat escaping via the sunroof.  It happened this weekend where I had cleaned the roof of all the snow but had left some ice.  During the visit, temps rose slightly.  On my way home from visiting family, I hit a bit of a bump in the highway surface and snap, crackle, pop, ice chunks flew backward.

I cringed inwardly, knowing how much I hate it when others do the same.   :-[
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 03:32:49 pm »
$20 gets you a good one with extendable handles for doing your roof. The total time taken to clear the snow is less than the time it takes your car heater to reach temperature, so you can even do it while you wait for the seats to thaw out.
Another good word of advise to all (based on what I did for Lady Noto):

If you're not using them, remove the roof rack crossbars if your vehicle is so-equipped.  Having them in place makes clearing off your roof much harder, and they kinda suck for fuel economy reasons, too.  If you otherwise use them, then still be diligent and try and get as much snow off as you can.

I agree re timing, as well, that 1) clear snow around the driver's door with your sleeve, 2) start the engine, 3) turn on front defogger/rear defogger/window heaters (and windshield de-icer if so-equipped), 4) seat heater, 5) close doors and start clearing away.  Start by clearing off the roof and work your way down.  The last thing you should do is the windshield/hood of your car.  By the time you're done clearing the snow, your car will be warmer, your bum will be heated, your windshield won't need scraping, and all will be clear and good.  The heat from inside the cabin will keep new snow from forming on the exterior windows as well while you clear off the rest.

So many people don't realize the HVAC system enters the car at the base of the windshield.  The hockey pucks don't clear their car and then the inside of their windows frost up!
and this -- Lady Noto just clears the windshield by pushing all the snow down to the base.  I told her that's where the intake was and she's like, "then how does air get in if I'm covering it with snow?"  ..."OHHHHHHH, ok, I'll clear that, too."

AND PEOPLE, CLEAR YOUR HEADLIGHTS AND TAIL LIGHTS...KINDA IMPORTANT!

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 03:35:23 pm »
I've borrowed deicing fluid at times, works like a hot damn for icy windows  ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »
Saw this while reading a Maclean's magazine today.  Canada's new method for testing roof crushing standards (photo is actually from New York).  I mean, at least his windows are clear, right?  ;)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:43:43 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 03:42:41 pm »
Stupidity has no boundaries.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »
Saw this while reading a Maclean's magazine today.  I mean, at least his windows are clear, right?  ;)

Holy crap.....I would love to see the insurance form for the inevitable rollover....what a moron.  :o :o