Author Topic: Discussion: Would this be a terrible engine?  (Read 4423 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Discussion: Would this be a terrible engine?
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:01:14 am »
I was having a discussion with a friend.  He seems to think that a great engine would be a 2.4L (or smaller) turbo engine.  But not any engine.  Here are the specs:

-No DOHC
-No VVTI
-No 4 valves
-2 valves, pushrods.
-Turbo

His reasons were as follows:  "May as well go pushrod, tune it for low to mid range favoring low end and let the turbo handle mid range and above, any of the minor loss in efficiency in flow can be made up in boost pressure anyway..... seems pointless to go with all of the added complexity.  Much less complex, cheaper to build, lighter, better weight distribution and more reliable"

I disagreed immensely.  His idea sounds good on paper.  But reality is a different matter IMO.  First of all, this engine wouldn't meet CAFE fuel economy standards.  While I agree that it would be lighter and less complex, it would suffer greatly in efficiency...particularly when off boost.  The advantage of the 4 valves and VVTI combo is primarily for efficiency and off boost performance when combined with a turbo.  Second, I think the drive ability of his engine would be just horrible.

He also seems to think that no company "wants to take a chance" on an engine like this.  I said the reason no one would take a chance is because they've already simulated such an engine in the design lab and it sucked.  If carmakers could make an engine that was cheaper, more reliable, same power, same fuel economy and lighter...they would have done so long, long ago.  I said they would have done it long ago for the greater profits alone....let alone everything else.

What does everyone else think?  And yes,...this is a real convo I had. 

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Would this be a terrible engine?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:46:48 am »
 ... so how many cigars were smoked?

Not a techie, but did read on Car&Driver when everybody switch their 4 cylinder engines to DOHC / multi valve designs. The advantage of DOHC have over ohv is less friction, and the valves themselves are smaller, its related component system is smaller and less weight, can operate efficiently at much higher rpm. Together with a turbo charger, seem like the obvious logical choice. Not even sure if an ohv engine can rev smoothly at high rpm, like 6500+, let alone be reliable and produce high horse power.

For a high output engine, your friend's idea would suck. For a car that is the equivalent of a small tractor, it might work well. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:52:42 am by initial_D »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:32:17 am »
  Most modern cheap and simple cars are the equivalent of a tractor.   Turn on, drive relatively slowly from a to b turn off. repeat a zillion times.  No high speeds, no stresses.  Over 90% of these engines have an automatic transmission.  So a simple reliable engine with sufficient torque will always do the job.   Why do you need to rev to 6500 rpm in the real world?

Isn't the current Corvette engine still OHV cam in block?     The DOHC, VVTI, 4 big valves is useful for good breathing at high rpm but with a turbocharger why bother with the high rpm? 
Direct injection not mentioned but I think that IS a step forward for economy and emissions.

If you were prepared to have some complexity, Desmodromic valves, 2 per cylinder, controlled directly by the ECU might be the way to go but complexity and reliability both are good reasons that has not been employed in a modern road car. Same goes for  the electric motor assisted turbo  F1 style, it would work in a road engine... but the complexity comes back again.

I suggest that the truly modern gasoline engine would be configured like a modern diesel...lots of low down torque and let the transmission do the work either with lots of DCT gears or even a CVT.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:36:50 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:49:51 am »
Would of like to be part of that conversation as this is the best car engine:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 09:57:44 am »
AHA!  Your picture is obviously of a device that uses the energy of the vacuum to produce rotation at the output shaft with no fuel required.  Your pic is just a small one that only manages 100,000 lbs/ft at 1000 rpm.   Useful and I don't think anyone has patented it yet... Maxwell's Demons are natural phenomena and cannot be patented.   8)  ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:16:44 am »
Your buddy sounds like he wants the old 2.5 Iron Duke GM 4 banger put back into production. While maybe that would be ok in the 3rd world, I mean look at cars like the Tata, there would be no way to make it worthwhile here. Yeah, it will run forever and if kept simple enough it would cost pennies to fix, but since every has a hard on for mileage and crap, I doubt you could sell it on the cheap and reliable pitch.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:55:22 am »
It sounds like a redneck engine.  Would be harsh, great for relaibility, simple to maintain, but low revving and crappy fuel economy.  It would have been a great engine 50 years ago.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:58:50 am »
It sounds like a redneck engine.  Would be harsh, great for relaibility, simple to maintain, but low revving and crappy fuel economy.  It would have been a great engine 50 years ago.

What does your average driver of an appliance need revs for??

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:24:18 am »
I don't think he's necessarily wrong. A long stroke, slow reving engine would have lower pumping and mechanical losses, but would need a turbo to maintain manifold pressure, to maintain efficiency. I'm not sure it those lower losses would be offset by the higher losses with a OHV arrangement.

A decent explanation regarding keeping engine revs down:

http://www.hddeo.com/DownsizingandDownspeedingofDieselEngines.html
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:51:51 am »
RR's buddy was describing  a 'simple' engine.     Doesn't need to be like the Iron Duke just needs to be a basic efficient powerplant. 
As Sir O says, a turbo to overcome the less good breathing of just two valves per cylinder.  Pushrods and OHV work perfectly well up to 5-6000 rpm but I ask: How often do you rev out to 6000 rpm on the street?  Not often I bet so a long stroke is ok.   Single cam in block and push rods work well enough.   Now this engine should be of modern construction for lightness, strength and good thermal performance. Should have Direct injection for economy and a good torque and power curve.    While you are at it have the water pump, cam and oil pump all external and driven by an easily accessible chain.  Careful design should make for a very short and light engine...sort of a 4 cylinder version of Fords 3 cyl eco boost.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 11:56:16 am »

I'm just not a fan of low revving engines, I prefer high revs.

Admittedly I don't drive like that all the time, but I used to hit 8,500RPM in the Exige about 30-40 times a day on my commute.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Discussion: Would this be a terrible engine?
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 11:57:58 am »

Admittedly I don't drive like that all the time, but I used to hit 8,500RPM in the Exige about 30-40 times a day on my commute.

Yeah, but you drove an Exige, not a Kia Rio, you are an "enthusiast" ;D

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:15:07 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Exactly, I can only comment from my needs/wants.

Would this be a terrible engine for me, yes.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 12:18:38 pm »
...didn't exige have Toyota Celica engine?   no wonder you rev'ved to 8500 rpm!  you needed all those revs to make any power!  ;D  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Discussion: Would this be a terrible engine?
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 12:21:50 pm »
Regular people rarely see above 4000.   Heck my co-worker says he never goes higher than 3000 in his 4cyl mazda6    I look at him funny when he says this.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 12:22:37 pm »
...didn't exige have Toyota Celica engine?   no wonder you rev'ved to 8500 rpm!  you needed all those revs to make any power!  ;D  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Yep, different cams though.  190bhp ain't to be sniffed at in a 1,000kg car.  The kick in the back when the second cam came on at 6K was delicious! My hour long commute was like driving at Le Mans.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:31 pm »
 ??? Geez..perhaps the people who actually design, build, and comply with standards in the automotive industry might know what they are doing

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 12:38:56 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Exactly, I can only comment from my needs/wants.

Would this be a terrible engine for me, yes.

I agree, I regularly rev all the vehicles I drive to the redline....why....because I can.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 01:01:54 pm »
  Most modern cheap and simple cars are the equivalent of a tractor.   Turn on, drive relatively slowly from a to b turn off. repeat a zillion times.  No high speeds, no stresses.  Over 90% of these engines have an automatic transmission.  So a simple reliable engine with sufficient torque will always do the job.   Why do you need to rev to 6500 rpm in the real world?

Isn't the current Corvette engine still OHV cam in block?     The DOHC, VVTI, 4 big valves is useful for good breathing at high rpm but with a turbocharger why bother with the high rpm? 
Direct injection not mentioned but I think that IS a step forward for economy and emissions.

If you were prepared to have some complexity, Desmodromic valves, 2 per cylinder, controlled directly by the ECU might be the way to go but complexity and reliability both are good reasons that has not been employed in a modern road car. Same goes for  the electric motor assisted turbo  F1 style, it would work in a road engine... but the complexity comes back again.

I suggest that the truly modern gasoline engine would be configured like a modern diesel...lots of low down torque and let the transmission do the work either with lots of DCT gears or even a CVT.

Back to the original topic at hand, why does it have to be OHV Cam-in-block?  Why can't it be a single overhead cam?

One of the reasons why corvette engine is still and OHV push-rod engine is for compactness.  You have smaller heads and therefore an overall smaller engine which can fit under a low hood easier than a DOHC V8 can.  THAT and OHV is still king for low-end torque.

ANYWAY, back to the question at hand, instead of just doing cam in block, why not just do a SOHC with no VVT?  You get rid of the complexity of having a pushrod and rocker arm valvetrain, replace it with an overhead cam and a timing chain, and you don't have the complexity of a VVT system.  it's the best of both worlds, and functionally, wouldn't have too much different from a cam-in-block 4-cyl.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 01:11:05 pm »
Sure.   SOHC works.   The Corvette engine surely is a perfect example of:  if it works don't mess with it.