Author Topic: "Replace the GLI" Thread  (Read 5373 times)

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
"Replace the GLI" Thread
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:14:02 am »
The wife has expressed interest in replacing the GLI with something that has AWD. I've not studied up on the various systems, all I know is that she doesn't want a part-time 4WD system like the Wrangler which has a manually actuated transfer case, so it's a toss-up between a FWD-biased slip 'n grip AWD or a full-time AWD (Subaru, others?). The wife gets discounts at certain manufacturers (off the top of my head Nissan/Infiniti, Kia, GM, FCA) due to working for one of the big banks.

Her criteria : "AWD", same size as GLI (the Outback is getting too long in comparison). She has to test-drive "SUV" vs. car to get a feel for the difference.

Current list is:
Subaru WRX with CVT (no discount)
Forester XT Touring (no discount)
Infiniti QX50 (Nissan VPP Plan C price)

How bad is the AWD in the QX50? I seem to recall some members on here saying neighbor's got stuck with either the G37 or EX37 on the local roads despite having it. The wife is not impressed with Ottawa's lack of plowing local roads during the winter months. Yes she has gotten stuck in the GLI despite it having a dedicated set of winter tires. I'm thinking the Fozzie with better clearance and Subaru's AWD would be the better candidate.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: "Replace the GLI" Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:29:44 am »
Yup, I understand, different people experience different things.

She gets stuck. Our local roads are not cleared in a timely fashion, after the heavy snowfalls it's a 1-2 day wait. The school parking lot isn't cleared by the time she has to drop the boy off at school, neither are the roads around it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:13:07 am »
The school parking lot isn't cleared

No kidding.  One of the cuts here (of the many!) has been to snow removal for staff parking.  Lots of teachers now have AWD vehicles just so they can get in and out of the parking lot.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:05:27 am »
I'm pretty surprised you could get stuck with any modern AWD system and half decent tires (not even winters necessarily) unless the snow/ice is really awful. AWD is usually enough to get you moving...its the stopping/turning that you really need winters for.

Anyway - I'd add the TLX to the list. SHAWD is pretty awesome. It is about 10in longer than the Jetta tho.

The Nissan system I think I read somewhere only engages front wheels up to some lowish 40km/h or so. Otherwise it is RWD. Its fine to get moving though and the platform is pretty good in neutral handling situation.

Although I do like the QX50 I would avoid it unless you can get a stonking discount or really like the car - it is very long in the tooth at this point.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:11:19 am »
I would go with one of your two first Subaru options. Even if there's no discount. If you're wife's been stuck with winter tires before, you may want to go straight to the most tried and tested AWD systems. Personally, if AWD were a prime consideration for me, Subaru and quattro would be my first considerations.

I'd probably pick the WRX, but that's just me.  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:14:16 am »
The exit of my cul-de-sac is right at the school, and so parents often come into our street to turn around.  There was this woman with an MDX - the pre-SHAWD ones, and she got stuck all the time.  She'd end up high-centered and her lousy all-seasons just couldn't cut it.  May times I yanked her out with the Scoob.  Then one morning, after telling her repeatedly to buy snow tires, I just drove up the windrow around her - buh bye.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 11:52:04 am »
I'd guess that getting stuck on winter tires and FWD was due to low ground clearance of the GLI. Any CUV with slip and grip type AWD and AWD lock button will likely do the trick. Sure, I'd myself prefer a Subie AWD too, but not if the car/CUV costs an extra 5-10 grand over Kia (with her discounts) for example. New Tucson is around the corner btw.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 12:33:53 pm »
Audi Q3.   Or an A3 if she can live with a sedan.  Quattro on both is technically slip and Grip but there is so little slip  ( 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the shaft) with the latest Haldex type system that she'd not notice.    I mention them as they are the right size if rather more expensive that the others.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 01:08:45 pm »
Might be excellent deals available on the A4 right now since it is on its way out too.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 01:27:48 pm »
Ford Fusion Titanium (std awd), often ignored but pretty nice.

Buick Regal awd (if deal is significant)

Chrysler 200 awd is in the size/price range, but that 9-speed box doesn't seem sorted-out yet. Great-looking sedan, though.

...but Audi A3 quattro is about as close to an awd GLI as you're gonna get!

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 01:29:44 pm »
Forester XT if she needs space and versatility. WRX if she wants more fun.  ;D ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 06:45:23 pm »
I would say that everyone on here is rather biased to Subaru products, not that they aren't excellent vehicles, in fact they offer one of if not the best AWD systems on the market.  Of course you and her should try them.

But because of your original post, how much you'll need to use the AWD system, and factoring in discounts, I'm going to make the suggestion of the new Nissan Murano.  I think your wife might find the interior a little lacking in the Subies.  The new Murano offers some great value, a very upscale interior with a luxury car ride.  It'll offer the AWD and ground clearance you need and it's still a reasonable size.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 08:30:12 pm »
Reviews and sales have been good for the Cadillac SRX.  Probably a good option with the discounts, runs on regular grade gas.  Uses the same Haldex AWD that Volvo, VW, and Saab use.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 10:15:26 pm »
AWD really enhances the WRX's driving experience and performance in the dry.  It's awesome in all conditions.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:12:23 am »
I would say that everyone on here is rather biased to Subaru products, not that they aren't excellent vehicles, in fact they offer one of if not the best AWD systems on the market.  Of course you and her should try them.

But because of your original post, how much you'll need to use the AWD system, and factoring in discounts, I'm going to make the suggestion of the new Nissan Murano.  I think your wife might find the interior a little lacking in the Subies.  The new Murano offers some great value, a very upscale interior with a luxury car ride.  It'll offer the AWD and ground clearance you need and it's still a reasonable size.

But it has a slip and grip system so not truly AWD.  And between you and I, I think that Nissan's CVT transmissions are the worst on the market.
Seriously Cadure?  Sure the AWD in the Subaru is one of the best but a "slip and grip" type of AWD system is by far the most common system on the market.  There is generally a fuel economy advantage to this system.  Your opinion of their CVT doesn't match what others have reported.

I noticed you didn't mention the sizeable difference of interior appointments and the discount she would get.  The Murano has shown to be a reliable and value holding vehicle.  I think it should definitely be on the list along with the others listed.

The reality is if you get the Murano stuck with winter tires on it's either because of driver error or a case of you-should-have-stayed-the-f-home syndrome.

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 08:56:34 pm »
Sounds like ground clearance is also a factor if she is getting stuck with winter tires?

I would look at the Tiguan & Q3 (same motor as the GLI), A4-Allroad, as well as Merc GLA & GLK.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 01:22:24 pm »
Another update:

She tested out a Foz XT limited today. Neither of us care for leather, so we would actually be going for an FXT Touring if we did it. This is at the max of our price range for a cash purchase ($2K off from Subaru right now helps). New the Q5 is way over budget, the A3/Q3 would really take a couple more months of saving up.

She likes the open greenhouse of the FXT versus the closed one in the QX (more windows, better visibility, less blindspot). She prefers the driving position too, higher up and better visibility over the hood. I forgot to mention, she's almost 5'2", or 5'3"; seats can be raised but the physical structure of the vehicle helps out a lot.

I found the FXT louder than the QX from the back seat, but she mentioned it still seems quieter than the GLI. Two adults her size plus a child in the backseat will be no problem, like the GLI, but unlike the QX.

One thing we forgot to do was to check if there's plenty of heat at the feet; she really hates that about the Jetta, lack of heat out the footwell ducts during the dead of winter. I thought she was exaggerating until I drove it a couple of times this winter, it really is terrible until the fan speed is at >75%.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
"Replace the GLI" Thread
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 02:59:34 pm »
Didn't read the whole thread, is the WRX still in the mix?  For sure it would be sufficient for an Ottawa winter.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 02:55:28 pm »
Well, it looks like both Ottawa area Subaru dealers use the "Trade Rev" online bidding system for trade-ins. The GLI received a maximum bid of $13,900 so Subaru's out. Honda dealership opened up local to us so might go check out the CRV... Or try to private sale the GLI...

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 05:34:40 pm »
My wife tested out a Mazda CX-5 AWD with the 2.5L. She was less than impressed with the power, she can tell the difference at highway speeds between it and the GLI, same with accelerating from a stop. I informed her the Nissan Rogue will be similar, feel underpowered compared to the GLI.

She didn't like the Tiguan, power-wise it was "ok", the ride was smooth and the handling was good. However it felt small inside, the drivetrain and cabin were noisy under low throttle conditions around local roads (the best I can describe it is as a sewing machine sound, it just sounds different that the GLI).

She still likes the Forester XT, adequate power, more space/larger greenhouse, good visibility...