Author Topic: Monday Rant: Motorbikes Could Solve Traffic Woes  (Read 26611 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Monday Rant: Motorbikes Could Solve Traffic Woes
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2015, 06:41:07 pm »
Contrary to what car drivers think, lane splitting speeds up the traffic for everyone, not just the bikes.  And if you have a car and don't like bikes getting there first, get a bike.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2015, 07:05:15 pm »
I'd call that line-jumping.  The only way it isn't is if there are no further stops for miles down the road.

Cheers,
John M.

So what's your issue with that?  Someone comes past you, waiting in line.  They accelerate away, you never see them again.  So what, it didn't interrupt your journey or inconvenience you in anyway, why would you have an issue with someone else getting to their destination faster if it didn't affect you?  Or should we all just wait in line because that's the way it's always been done?

Lane splitting (slowly) in slow moving or stopped traffic is very effective, doing it fast (as on youtube) is just plain stupid, and most motorcyclists wouldn't be that stupid, they value their lives too.

I'm for it, but if the law changed I would be very careful doing it.

If there is open road ahead, then there is no problem.  If there is a stoplight ahead and I end up behind you, then you just pushed me and everyone else back.  That is line jumping.  Same as using the merge lane to jump a bunch of cars.  Very slimy.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2015, 09:40:33 pm »
People line jumped me every minute when I had a scooter. *shrugs*

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2015, 09:42:15 pm »

They weren't line jumping you.  You scooter was just too slow and they were merely driving.   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2015, 09:47:47 pm »

They weren't line jumping you.  You scooter was just too slow and they were merely driving.   :rofl2:

Haha yup. But my point to JohnM is, it's the same thing.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2015, 09:53:26 am »
I'd call that line-jumping.  The only way it isn't is if there are no further stops for miles down the road.

Cheers,
John M.

So what's your issue with that?  Someone comes past you, waiting in line.  They accelerate away, you never see them again.  So what, it didn't interrupt your journey or inconvenience you in anyway, why would you have an issue with someone else getting to their destination faster if it didn't affect you?  Or should we all just wait in line because that's the way it's always been done?

Lane splitting (slowly) in slow moving or stopped traffic is very effective, doing it fast (as on youtube) is just plain stupid, and most motorcyclists wouldn't be that stupid, they value their lives too.

If there is open road ahead, then there is no problem.  If there is a stoplight ahead and I end up behind you, then you just pushed me and everyone else back.  That is line jumping.  Same as using the merge lane to jump a bunch of cars.  Very slimy.

Cheers,
John M.

If the motorcycle is decently quick, you either won't see it again, or it will overtake you at some point anyways.  It's not the same as using the merge lane at all.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2015, 10:09:01 am »

Cheers,
John M.

Cheers,
John M.

He's not pushing you back at all.  Don't forget, he'll be lane-splitting the light up ahead, and the one after that, too.  So the impact on you personally is nil.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:37 pm »
Is that just it? People take things personally?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »
I think people do, yeah. Last night I had to shoot a gap again to avoid being rear-ended by a muppet on the 401. The honking started immediately.
Canadians will wait for 35 seconds at a door so they can hold it open for you, but ask for a brief hesitation of any kind on the road and we all lose our minds. It's wild, the world's friendliest, most polite people are also among the most road ragey.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2015, 01:37:57 am »
I'm ok with lane splitting if it's done between cars and trucks that aren't moving but are not stopped for a traffic device such as a traffic light.  So this would apply to let motorcyclists get past traffic jams.

I'm not understanding. Traffic jams are usually slow moving but not completely stopped. The only reason traffic usually comes to a complete stop is for a traffic light. What you are describing means you are ok with lane splitting only when traffic comes to a complete stop for something like a serious crash / road closure.   Or just a spontaneous "hey let's all come to a complete stop for no reason" scenario.

I gather you don't live in the Vancouver area.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2015, 12:06:15 pm »
Traffic jams are slow moving with little lane changing - hence why lane splitting is very effective in those instances.