Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec  (Read 8138 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:02:36 am »

The Genesis R-Spec is an impressive machine, with good looks, credible performance and excellent value, says Jonathan Yarkony.

Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:10:02 am »
I really like this vehicle overall.  It's crazy that the 5.0L V8 makes more HP than the 5.0L in the Mustang GT.  When this first came out it was such a bid deal for Hyundai and now only 3 years later we've all come to expect this kind of vehicle from them.  For sure the value for dollar is there but in the future I hope that Hyundai can offer more style, an AWD option, and hopefully better handling characteristics.  As it stands today it's a very compelling package that offers a lot of luxury for $55,000 and gives people the option of buying something different than the typical German/Japanese competition.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:28:14 am »
Agree with JohnnyMac...............I think Hyundia can bring up the "WOW" factor in the near future, not that its a ugly vehicle.
They done it with the Elantra, Genesis Coupe, etc so maybe......    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:28:19 am »
It's crazy that the 5.0L V8 makes more HP than the 5.0L in the Mustang GT. 

But less torque. When the 300 was first resurrected it's V6 made more hp than the same year Mustang's V8 but also less torque.

And when you compare same displacements between the "domestic" and the "imports" the former tended to have less power/size as the latter. But the former offered that power in a different, lower priced segment than the latter.

I think its time that Hyundai got out of the shadows and did more with their design. Made it more distinctively their. I bet that is what Schreyer is working on too.

I would like to see this with AWD too.

I wonder how the luxury:sport ratio in the Genesis R compares with, say a Jaguar?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:31:11 am by nlm »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:41 am »
Good write-up.  "It’s not a sports car. It’s a luxury car."  I think that sums the car up exactly.  It's certainly the sportiest of the Genesis Sedan luxury line, but not a pure sports sedan by any stretch.

Which brings up what I think is a problem for Hyundai:  Isn't this thing going to make the up-level Equus an even harder sell?  I was just at the dealership yesterday for an oil change and tire swap and sat in both (not an R-spec, but a loaded V6 sedan) - I actually liked the interior better in the Genesis than the Equus.  No question which of the two I'd rather have in my driveway.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:22:49 am »
I bet that is what Schreyer is working on too.
Schreyer is with Kia, not Hyundai...yes, i know Kia is owned by Hyundai, but they still do their own things...Schreyer has nothing to do with Hyundai vehicles...their "fluidic sculpture" design language comes from their California design center.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:24:40 am »
Good write-up.  "It’s not a sports car. It’s a luxury car."  I think that sums the car up exactly.  It's certainly the sportiest of the Genesis Sedan luxury line, but not a pure sports sedan by any stretch.

Which brings up what I think is a problem for Hyundai:  Isn't this thing going to make the up-level Equus an even harder sell?  I was just at the dealership yesterday for an oil change and tire swap and sat in both (not an R-spec, but a loaded V6 sedan) - I actually liked the interior better in the Genesis than the Equus.  No question which of the two I'd rather have in my driveway.

Jaeger
agreed...a great review, and points to the "luxury car" aspect, not an M5 competitor.

i haven't seen an Equus, so i can't really say anything about it, but personally, for my money, if i was looking at one of these, i think the V6 Premium package ($45k) is where i would lay the money down...gives me pretty much everything i want, and that 333HP V6 is no slouch either.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:25:23 am »

Jaeger
I would agree to some point but I think the Equus is for those who want more luxury in the backseat for either themselves or their clients.  What they should have done is just offer the Genesis in L (long wheel base) format instead (which is basically what the Equus is anyway) and brought the price down to reflect that and maybe even offer it with the V6 option.  Personally I'd rather drive the Genesis but I'd rather be driven in the Equus.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:27:11 am »
I bet that is what Schreyer is working on too.
Schreyer is with Kia, not Hyundai...yes, i know Kia is owned by Hyundai, but they still do their own things...Schreyer has nothing to do with Hyundai vehicles...their "fluidic sculpture" design language comes from their California design center.
I assume he is saying that is what Schreyer is trying to do with Kia, not that he's trying to do it for Hyundai.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:41:16 am »
Like their other cars, this is A LOT of car for the money.  I was expecting the R Spec to be more expensive.

I wouldn't complain if someone thought my Hyundai was a Benz...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:53:07 am »
Most luxury car buyers are brand driven and don't care as much about price or performance numbers

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:54:36 am »
I would agree to some point but I think the Equus is for those who want more luxury in the backseat for either themselves or their clients.  What they should have done is just offer the Genesis in L (long wheel base) format instead (which is basically what the Equus is anyway) and brought the price down to reflect that and maybe even offer it with the V6 option.  Personally I'd rather drive the Genesis but I'd rather be driven in the Equus.

There's no question the Equus offers a more spacious limo-like back seat - and probably a softer, quieter ride as well.  It's just that the Genesis gets closer in both categories than the price premium of the Equus reflects.  I know they're only selling a handful of (Equi?) anyway - I just think the Genesis is doing to the Equus what they hope the Equus will do to Mercedes and Lexus:  deliver something nearly as good for a bunch less.

To dj's point - the V6 in this sedan is all anyone really needs - plenty of power to move it along quite briskly.  But up-level V8 offerings aren't about need so much as want. I have to admit I have a bit of a want for this V8.  Could make for a sweet off-lease purchase.

Jaeger

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:50 am »
No AWD = No Sale

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 11:25:05 am »

I wonder how the luxury:sport ratio in the Genesis R compares with, say a Jaguar?

It's been years since I drove the XF, but it had a poise and balance with really light but accurate steering that the Genesis doesn't come close to. However, the Genesis (even the R Spec) is more oriented towards luxury and it pays off with a smoother ride—like I said, it's been years, but i vaguely recall that the XF sacrificed some of its comfort for that poise and suffered for it on rough roads, where it was a bit jarring.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 11:26:35 am »
Considering how much I enjoyed the Genesis V6 rental I had last week, the V8 version would be over-the-top fun.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 12:23:19 pm »
Do you think they were going after luxury and sporty and came up short (hence the general feeling that it is more luxury than sporty)?

Or were they intentionally aiming for more luxury than sporty, but then why the "R-Spec" label?

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 12:33:53 pm »
Nice car.  Understated elegance.  Very price competitive.  I wouldn't question anyone buying this.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 12:50:24 pm »
Genesis Coupe in all but the R-Spec trim is a G37 competitor if you ask me.

I don't know if there's a G37 equivalent to the R-Spec, but it's legit. Maybe a 370Z competitor? The R-Spec is legit though. I'd love to drive that and compare with the Scion FRS. I hope Hyundai fixed the clutch and shifter feel I've heard complaints about.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
Do you think they were going after luxury and sporty and came up short (hence the general feeling that it is more luxury than sporty)?

Or were they intentionally aiming for more luxury than sporty, but then why the "R-Spec" label?
I think they had the R-Spec label because in the US they still offer the old 4.6L V8 and their top model is called the R-Spec.  So when it comes to Canada in top trim it's called the R-Spec.  I think they were more about offering a more aggressive looking Genesis than about offering more performance.  That being said the Coupe R-Spec has more performance parts than the other trims and it more about performance than about luxury.  Seems like a mixed bag to determine what Hyundai considers a R-Spec vehicle.  I wonder if the Veloster turbo will be called the Veloster R-Spec?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 12:51:28 pm »

i don't believe it was ever intended as "M/AMG/RS" fighter...perhaps a luxury car with some sporting intentions...perhaps the "R-Spec" was simply to garner some attention, so people would take a look at it...i saw a black one driving in the parking lot at Costco about a month ago and had to look a few times to figure out what it was...it looked really nice, and those LED eyebrows kept me thinking Audi (although, I knew it wasn't an Audi)...once i ruled out Audi, MB and Lexus, i kind of thought of Hyundai as it has no insignia on the grill and i don't think any other car really does that (barring some rare high end stuff).

it is also why i think the V6 Premium package is the sweet spot for this car...i can't realistically see anyone wanting an M5 getting the R-Spec (not even close in comparison), however i could realistically see some looking at base/mid trim 5/7 Series, A6, and perhaps some nicely equipped Japanese and domestic brand cars who don't mind exchanging some driving dynamics in exchange for a full size, fully appointed car that is $20k less...while some are willing the pay the extra for the badge, i would imagine quite a few would at least consider it...the Genesis is really only 3 model years old, so for a company's first offering of a "upper tier" product, one still has to give credit where credit is due, as the Genesis is still a pretty decent car with lots of great equipment at a price that is quite attainable for most...the V6 Premium package model is $45k...that's a lot of car for what competing brands offer, in an often smaller package, with less power and much less features, albeit in exchange for premium badge and likely better driving dynamics.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:54:01 pm by dirtyjeffer »