Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 BMW 528i  (Read 15208 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 BMW 528i
« on: December 07, 2010, 03:07:56 am »

With an engine of "unparalleled smoothness" and a "silky-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission," the new 528i "is a total pleasure to drive," says Paul Williams.  His only quibble is the accelerator, "which on occasion either doesn't give enough or gives too much."

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Test Drive: 2011 BMW 528i
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:14:57 am »
An excellent review.

A refined car with rear wheel drive and ample room.
The reported sensitive throttle control is probably something one could get used to. I found my 3.5 L had the a similar problem and it took a while to adjust to.

Too bad about the premium fuel requirement, but if you can afford the car the few extra dollars should not matter too much.

Black seems to be popular. This car would fit perfectly between these 2 I spotted recently

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5236531041/

Roy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:29:32 am »

Too bad about the premium fuel requirement, but if you can afford the car the few extra dollars should not matter too much.

Here's an anecdotal survey: most owners/buyers of luxury brands prefer/want to pay for premium fuel as it provides another confirmation of prestige. 

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:32:28 am »
The BMW 5-Series is a very nice car.

I won't go near one until: 1) BMW resolves more of its reliability issues, 2) Allows CAMVAP to arbitrate owner disputes, and 3) makes conventional tires and a proper spare tire and jack a no-cost option.

In view of our very good experience with our Infiniti FX an Infiniti M will be our next car.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:58:18 am by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

que

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:00:38 pm »
I would suspect that the 3L NA engines should be able to run on regular?  I own a BMW E39 with a M54 engine, and have been running it on regular for over 100K km since I bought it, no fuel, black plugs, or any other problems associated with it.  It will not perform at its peak power on regular fuel, and I can feel the timing retard at the mid to top end, on regular gas, but it does have Dual VANOS, so it will adjust.  How often does one punch the car to run at it's peak power?  Yes I will put 91 V power with no Ethanol on days I want to experience the rush, but on day to day, when the car runs below 3K RPMs, works just fine for me.

But there are folks who feel need to feel the prestige, and pay extra  when they don't need too.  Yes BMW recommends premium, but I suspect it would not be necessary, the car will adjust. On the Turbo Bimmers, Premium all the way!

Sdb

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »
I recently purchased a slightly used 2011 BMW 528i (sport,navi, premium) - I was looking for a fairly luxurious, well equipped, nice riding, good handling car with enough space for a big family as a 2nd car. I compared this against a number of cars: m37 (wanted more lux), a6 (recent consumer report showed problems with 3.0T), s4 (too small +3.0T issues), Mercedes 350 (felt like it was for an 'older' person,)  last years 535 (fuel injector issue still scare me.) I was concerned that the 528 would not have enough power before I drove it. The comparison between the 528 (6.4-6.6 C&D) and the 535 in 0-60 is about a 1 second delay, and about 0.9 on the 1/4 mile. Considering the new speeding laws, and of course safety, I started to question whether I needed more power than the 528; the answer was a definite no.

As the reviewer mentioned the 528 has plenty of power - especially when you use the manual shift mode. I am still getting used to the electronic steering that is a bit numb, but it is not as bad as some reviewers would have you think. The throttle tip in is easily adjusted to. The major selling point for me was the looks of the car. I love the lines of the new design outside and the interior is outstanding. Now i just need a few hours to become friends with the idrive.

335inTO

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 01:53:43 pm »
Great car - love the specs and the elegant yet understated styling.  Frustrated by the fact that no manual transmission is offered on the 528i yet one is available on the 535i.  If they can't offer manual for both models, I would like to see manual in the 528i and auto in the 535i.  The 528i has a higher revving engine that would see significant performance gains from a manual not too mention higher "fun-to-drive" factor.  The 535i does not need it as much since there is so much torque available at low revs. 

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »
Frustrated by the fact that no manual transmission is offered on the 528i yet one is available on the 535i.  If they can't offer manual for both models, I would like to see manual in the 528i and auto in the 535i. 

given a choice, how would people choose between a 6-speed manual or 8-speed auto?

Having an extra 2 forward gears provides:

• better acceleration due to closer spacing between gears
  • better economy due to better/more overdrive ratio(s)
  • potentially smoother transitions between intermediate gears

Rowing your own gears would provide no benefit other than the satisfaction of doing so.  knowing BMW, it probably wouldn't even save money on the transaction price if you opted for the manual.  in fact, some companies charge more for the manuals these days.  at best, bmw would probably offer the manual as a no-cost option.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 02:49:32 pm »

Frustrated by the fact that no manual transmission is offered on the 528i yet one is available on the 535i.  If they can't offer manual for both models, I would like to see manual in the 528i and auto in the 535i. 
Back in 2003 when I looked at a 5-er ( E39) before buying a 330xi. The 530 was available with both transmissions but getting one with a manual had to be ordered.  545's on the other hand were easily available with either transmission from stock.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 02:52:17 pm »
Great car - love the specs and the elegant yet understated styling.  Frustrated by the fact that no manual transmission is offered on the 528i yet one is available on the 535i.  If they can't offer manual for both models, I would like to see manual in the 528i and auto in the 535i.  The 528i has a higher revving engine that would see significant performance gains from a manual not too mention higher "fun-to-drive" factor.  The 535i does not need it as much since there is so much torque available at low revs. 

Well, it kind of makes sense... Those who buy a 535i are likely bigger car enthusiasts than those who buy 528i's, and as such, there's a bigger chance that someone might want a manual 535i than a 528i. A good proportion of 528i owners bought it because it was a BMW, while a good proportion of those who bought a 535i bought it because of the engine. Big difference in mindset, IMO.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:55 pm »
my friend owned a 540i touring (wagon) with a 6-speed manual.
had to be special-ordered.  if i recall, he had to pay a bit more to make it happen.

he was told by the dealer that it was the only one in the country at the time, maybe the only one ever.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 03:11:51 pm »

Well, it kind of makes sense... Those who buy a 535i are likely bigger car enthusiasts than those who buy 528i's, and as such, there's a bigger chance that someone might want a manual 535i than a 528i. A good proportion of 528i owners bought it because it was a BMW, while a good proportion of those who bought a 535i bought it because of the engine. Big difference in mindset, IMO.

With respect, Shnak, I think your statement is pure conjecture, and not at all supportable by facts. I don't disagree that offering a manual tranny choice in all 5 Series should be the norm (regardless of how few manuals BMW would sell), but I do not think that 528i owners buy for the label, and 535i owners buy for the engine. I think one wants a 5 Series because of it's merits, then decides which engine they want. It's the power vs dollars tradeoff.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 03:12:37 pm »
my friend owned a 540i touring (wagon) with a 6-speed manual.
had to be special-ordered.  if i recall, he had to pay a bit more to make it happen.

he was told by the dealer that it was the only one in the country at the time, maybe the only one ever.

Manual wagons in the 3 Series are hard to find also.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 03:20:39 pm »
You can get a 535i in manual? Thank goodness I thought manuals disappeared from the 5 series forever.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 03:37:07 pm »

With respect, Shnak, I think your statement is pure conjecture, and not at all supportable by facts. I don't disagree that offering a manual tranny choice in all 5 Series should be the norm (regardless of how few manuals BMW would sell), but I do not think that 528i owners buy for the label, and 535i owners buy for the engine. I think one wants a 5 Series because of it's merits, then decides which engine they want. It's the power vs dollars tradeoff.
I am pretty sure that you are both correct.  Mr 535 6mt owner's wife wants a 5-er as well but with a real transmission and so on.  Same as #1 son gets Daddy to buy him an M3 but #1 daughter is happy with an Auto 328 vert.   Some is the car and some is the name and the car.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 04:14:43 pm »

I never said any of what I wrote were facts... it was my attempt at explaining BMW's decision to only offer the 535i in manual, and not the 528i. No big deal if you don't agree with me.

Also, I don't see what the big deal is with assuming that most people who buy cars with the base engine don't buy it because of the engine, but because of the car itself, whereas most people who go with the bigger engine do it because they appreciate the added power, refinement, etc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:16:27 pm by Shnak »

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:14 am »

given a choice, how would people choose between a 6-speed manual or 8-speed auto?

Having an extra 2 forward gears provides:

• better acceleration due to closer spacing between gears
  • better economy due to better/more overdrive ratio(s)
  • potentially smoother transitions between intermediate gears

Rowing your own gears would provide no benefit other than the satisfaction of doing so.  knowing BMW, it probably wouldn't even save money on the transaction price if you opted for the manual.  in fact, some companies charge more for the manuals these days.  at best, bmw would probably offer the manual as a no-cost option.

Agreed on all the points.  No way I'd pick a manual over an 8 speed auto.  I had a 2006 3 series with a 6 speed and actually found it wasn't all that great.  The clutch delay valve was annoying and the throws were too long.  The 6 speed S2000 trans/shifter combo is a joy to work compared to the BMW one IMO.

IslandBimmerer

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 08:19:01 pm »
Just bought the 2011 528i in Imperial blue with beige Dakata leather plus all packages except the self-park/lane change system. If I cannot park it I shouldnt be driving eh?
It has a lot of the 7 series engineering, if not most and I like the dash layout which is slightly different. It is sold and great to cruise on the expressways yet can meander along our Island country roads with no fuss. Economy so far is excellent. Throttle can be a little touchy occasionally with it giving a little more acceleration than expected but nothing significant. For the money, it has all we need.

If it is as good as my last Bimmer --2006 325i, I will be happy.

cheers

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:57 am »
You can get a 535i in manual? Thank goodness I thought manuals disappeared from the 5 series forever.

The 5-series, to my knowledge, is the only one of its segment to offer a manual transmission which is great, but what I don't get is why opting for a sport package on a 535i deletes the manual transmission. That's really disappointing and nonsensical.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:01 pm »
I was in one of these the other day, I found the 8-speed auto to be overactive at low speeds. I get that more gears = more optimization of fuel economy, engine power, etc. But then why not just get a CVT which is ALWAYS in the right 'gear'? With 8 speeds, the car had made 3 shifts by the time we were moving at 30 km/h, it's never really in gear but always between them.

And for those complaining about BMW offering the 'choice' of a manual, get over it. Enthusiasts are well aware that there is little performance benefit to this transmission, that's not the point, it is just more fun. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it. BTW, I see a lot more used BMW's with manuals than nearly any other luxury or near-luxury cars, obviously there is a demand.