Author Topic: Window dark tint features: buit in features or film layer?  (Read 3923 times)

Offline picard

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Window dark tint features: buit in features or film layer?
« on: January 04, 2006, 03:08:54 am »
I have seen some luxury cars have builted in dark tint windows. Is the tint built into the glass itself ? or Does it have a film layer add on to the glass?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Window dark tint features: buit in features or film layer?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:26:45 am »
There is a legal limit for tints in various parts of North America.  In Ontario the rear may be darker than the front.

I think that mostly dark tint is a film applied
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

weebl

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 10:27:29 am »
Dark tint can only be built into the glass on vehicles not classified as a "car."  This means SUVs, pickups, vans/minivans and some cars that automakers have convinced regulators that it's not a car (i.e. PT Cruiser) can have this from the factory built into the glass.

Cars have this applied as a film.

sterling

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:05:12 pm »
Dark tint can only be built into the glass on vehicles not classified as a "car."  This means SUVs, pickups, vans/minivans and some cars that automakers have convinced regulators that it's not a car (i.e. PT Cruiser) can have this from the factory built into the glass.

Cars have this applied as a film.

Close. Most jurisdictions allow any amount of tint on the windows to the rear of the driver. And most also prohibit any amount of tinting on the windshield and the front side windows.

Online Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 03:14:26 pm »
My sunroof on 2000 Accord is tinted. It is so darkly tinted it lets little sun in. This is silly seeing as I have a shade I can use if it to bright. I assumed that the glass is tinted. If it is a film can I get it off?

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

barrie1

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 03:24:41 pm »
If its a film then you should be able to remove it. If its in the glass then replaceing the window isthe only thing you can do. Factory tints are generally in the middle of the glass when they produce it.   :)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 03:28:30 pm »
We went through this when we bought our Sienna.

On the 04, it came with "regular" windows if you bought the CE 7 passenger, step up to a CE 8 passenger ($1,000 more) then you got factory tinted windows from the rear doors back.

We bought the CE 7 passenger and had the dealer tint them (they farmed out to some one in Kamloops) as we did not want 8 passenger and did not want to go for the LE at $5,000 more.

So could be either but I would think that on a newer mid to high end model the tint is factory.

Now the question becomes, is the factory tint in the glass itself or applied as a film as part of the process?    ???
2016 Subaru Forester XT

barrie1

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:32:04 pm »
Usually with a vehicle that has Air Conditioning as a option it is in the glass between the 2 layers when they make it. You could try with a very sharp pointed item to see if you can remove it but will know very quickly if it will come off or not. You'l see the scratch marks on the material if it is applied on the outside of the glass.  :)