Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500  (Read 9379 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spin: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 01:26:25 am »
IF, as universally claimed for fancy sports cars, an even weight distribution on the wheels is a GOOD THING, then the poor weight distribution of every pickup truck simply puts them at a inherent disadvantage.  ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, they simply cannot handle as well as better balanced vehicles.  Case dismissed.

I disagree.  Just to be sure, I went and checked the weight distribution of several 4x4 pickups to see how "poor" the weight distribution is.  I found a low of 58/42 to a high of 62/38.  At first glance this seems bad.  Until you look at the weight distribution of most FWD cars.  About the same.   ::) The 2012 Camry, which I know is very capable in the winter (for a FWD car) scales in at 61.5/38.5.  Again...about the same as most any 4x4 truck.  And I'm sure you've driven a FWD car in the winter and have gotten along just fine when driven sensibly.  BTW,  neither of these will outhandle a sports car with 50/50..but equipped with good winter tires and driven sanely, they will handle winters just fine.  In general terms, there is no way you can exploit a car's "handling" in the winter anyways.  The limiting factor is not the car/truck's weight distribution, it's the road conditions and tires.

You've packed a lot of fallacies and illogical arguments into remarkably few sentences.

You are mistaken to suggest I was comparing the weight distribution of large pickups to fwd cars.  So that part of your argument is irrelevant. 

Your statement about being unable to exploit a car's handling characteristics in the winter probably would make little sense to rally drivers, for instance.

You say this vehicle and that vehicle do fine in the winter if driven sensibly.  Once again, that is not a response to anything I said.  Note I used the term "ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL"... a vehicle with an even weight distribution will handle better than one with an uneven weight distribution.  This means the vehicles being compared are driven with equal skill, in the same conditions, with equivalent tires etc. etc.  Surely you've heard of comparing apples to apples.

Yes, I've driven fwd cars in the winter.  All else being equal, a balanced awd does far better.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 01:30:49 am »
This how all Grand Vitaras come from the factory...right...right?

Presumably this was meant as humor.  But as a moderator you must know it carries the baggage of introducing yet more irrelevancies to the discussion, and fans flames already causing some to resort to insults.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 03:50:37 am »
IF, as universally claimed for fancy sports cars, an even weight distribution on the wheels is a GOOD THING, then the poor weight distribution of every pickup truck simply puts them at a inherent disadvantage.  ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, they simply cannot handle as well as better balanced vehicles.  Case dismissed.

I disagree.  Just to be sure, I went and checked the weight distribution of several 4x4 pickups to see how "poor" the weight distribution is.  I found a low of 58/42 to a high of 62/38.  At first glance this seems bad.  Until you look at the weight distribution of most FWD cars.  About the same.   ::) The 2012 Camry, which I know is very capable in the winter (for a FWD car) scales in at 61.5/38.5.  Again...about the same as most any 4x4 truck.  And I'm sure you've driven a FWD car in the winter and have gotten along just fine when driven sensibly.  BTW,  neither of these will outhandle a sports car with 50/50..but equipped with good winter tires and driven sanely, they will handle winters just fine.  In general terms, there is no way you can exploit a car's "handling" in the winter anyways.  The limiting factor is not the car/truck's weight distribution, it's the road conditions and tires.

You've packed a lot of fallacies and illogical arguments into remarkably few sentences.

You are mistaken to suggest I was comparing the weight distribution of large pickups to fwd cars.  So that part of your argument is irrelevant. 

Your statement about being unable to exploit a car's handling characteristics in the winter probably would make little sense to rally drivers, for instance.

You say this vehicle and that vehicle do fine in the winter if driven sensibly.  Once again, that is not a response to anything I said.  Note I used the term "ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL"... a vehicle with an even weight distribution will handle better than one with an uneven weight distribution.  This means the vehicles being compared are driven with equal skill, in the same conditions, with equivalent tires etc. etc.  Surely you've heard of comparing apples to apples.

Yes, I've driven fwd cars in the winter.  All else being equal, a balanced awd does far better.

I still dont get what point youre trying to make?? That my truck is dangerous and I should quit driving it in the winter??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 11:34:50 pm »

I still dont get what point youre trying to make?? That my truck is dangerous and I should quit driving it in the winter??

My first comment was: "These huge pickups, in 2wd, are as clumsy as beached whales.  At considerable cost in money and hardware 4wd makes them better, but they're still fairly useless in slippery/snowy conditions."

That you have concluded I said: "my truck is dangerous and I should quit driving it in the winter?? suggests that you would better approach the disagreement as an interesting exploration of a proposition, rather than a confrontation.

I will agree I understated the winter capabilities of big pickups.  (And in so doing turned a sacred cow into road kill.)  It's just that where we recreate in winter, the big pickups with 2wd don't even make it, and as kindly pointed out by rrocket, the 4wd versions do as well as fwd cars. Which isn't very impressive.

All the bluster and irrelevancies and insults won't change the fact that, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, 2wd pickups really are poor in snow and on ice, and while the 4wd "solution" makes them better, they can never be as good as something with better weight distribution.   The weight distribution numbers provided by rrocket are actually pretty dismal.

As for the shot of the totally modified Grand Vitara on Pikes Peak, a more relevant reference would be the performance of Grand Vitaras in the first Trans-Siberian Rally.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 12:43:31 am »

Ok, since I can see where this is going, in light to moderate snow:

50f/50r > 60f/40r distribution
AWD (foresters, SX4s, escapes, etc) > 4X4 (Pickups, Grand Vitara, Wranglers, etc) > FWD (most cars) > RWD
Winter Tires > All Season tires > Summer tires

Now, back to whether or not the Silverado HD 2500 is a good heavy duty work truck?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 12:32:40 pm »
The general thinking from what I understand is that the diesel Chev has an excellent transmission and a very good engine. The suspension is the best riding although more complicated.

Ford sells a ton of Superduty's (something like a third of US 'F-series' sales)  I believe because the base gas version is not much more than a F-150 and an F-150 doesn't have much of a payload. But they ride like lumber wagons.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »
The general thinking from what I understand is that the diesel Chev has an excellent transmission and a very good engine. The suspension is the best riding although more complicated.

Ford sells a ton of Superduty's (something like a third of US 'F-series' sales)  I believe because the base gas version is not much more than a F-150 and an F-150 doesn't have much of a payload. But they ride like lumber wagons.

The base F250 engine is now the 6.2L with either 385hp and 405ft-lb (Super Duty <10k GVWR) or 316hp and 397ft-lb (Super Duty >10K GVWR).

It's a different tune of the 6.2L from the F150 Raptor.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken