Author Topic: Long-Term Test Uodate 1: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring  (Read 15340 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Arrival: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 10:18:01 am »
I have never tried a car with a CVT but no automatic is perfect 'you have to go with the flow'. This long term test will better outline the perameters here. The orange is not a color that I would choose but there are other colors available. I wonder if the black trim detracts from the appearance and maybe body color 'shiny' trim might be better.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:22:15 am by Rupert »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 10:19:23 am »
update article is now fixed

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:55 am »
"Besides the ‘what makes it different than the Impreza’ question, I have also been asked quite a few times if the vehicle is worth its price point over a 5-door Impreza.  Starting at $24,495 for the base Touring model, the XV starts at $3,600 more than an Impreza 5-Door.  However, to get the same level of equipment in an Impreza 5-Door as the standard XV Crosstrek, like 17-inch alloy wheels, a front armrest/storage bin, fog lights, infotainment screen and upgraded gauge cluster, you need to purchase the $24,895 Sport model.  The Impreza Sport 5-Door does include features not found in the XV, like leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, sunroof, and the sport appearance package.  But, the XV also has equipment that the Impreza Sport 5-Door doesn’t have, like roof rails, tinted windows, its own ground effects package, and of course the ability to tow.  So basically it is a wash between the two content-wise as well as price-wise and it is up to the consumer to decide which one better fits their wants and needs."

That may be the most useful paragraph I've ever read (for a prospective consumer) in any car review, period.  Other XV reviews (not on autos.ca of course!) have danced around the fact that the vehicle is slightly modified Impreza, and give no indication to the reader of the relative strengths/weaknesses of each one.  Good job, Mike. 

Now if you're still in LA, take some really nice pics of the new Forester, and see if the Canadian trim levels/pricing  have been sorted out!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 10:47:20 am »
"Besides the ‘what makes it different than the Impreza’ question, I have also been asked quite a few times if the vehicle is worth its price point over a 5-door Impreza.  Starting at $24,495 for the base Touring model, the XV starts at $3,600 more than an Impreza 5-Door.  However, to get the same level of equipment in an Impreza 5-Door as the standard XV Crosstrek, like 17-inch alloy wheels, a front armrest/storage bin, fog lights, infotainment screen and upgraded gauge cluster, you need to purchase the $24,895 Sport model.  The Impreza Sport 5-Door does include features not found in the XV, like leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, sunroof, and the sport appearance package.  But, the XV also has equipment that the Impreza Sport 5-Door doesn’t have, like roof rails, tinted windows, its own ground effects package, and of course the ability to tow.  So basically it is a wash between the two content-wise as well as price-wise and it is up to the consumer to decide which one better fits their wants and needs."

That may be the most useful paragraph I've ever read (for a prospective consumer) in any car review, period.  Other XV reviews (not on autos.ca of course!) have danced around the fact that the vehicle is slightly modified Impreza, and give no indication to the reader of the relative strengths/weaknesses of each one.  Good job, Mike. 

Now if you're still in LA, take some really nice pics of the new Forester, and see if the Canadian trim levels/pricing  have been sorted out!

Thanks!  :bow2:

I have the pics and details and will be posting a forester preview next week.  Trims and prices won't be known until closer to launch

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »
"But, the XV also has equipment that the Impreza Sport 5-Door doesn’t have...and of course the ability to tow."

Can you elaborate on that? The Impreza Sport can't tow or has a lower tow rating compared to the XV even when properly equipped?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 06:47:52 pm »
"But, the XV also has equipment that the Impreza Sport 5-Door doesn’t have...and of course the ability to tow."

Can you elaborate on that? The Impreza Sport can't tow or has a lower tow rating compared to the XV even when properly equipped?

Impreza is not rated to tow in Canada

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »

Impreza is not rated to tow in Canada

Let me guess.... it tows fine everywhere else in the world?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
Re: Long-Term Test Uodate 1: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 11:14:59 am »
I love it, the orange colour is stunning.Seems like a nice vehicle all around. does anyone know what the fuel consumption is?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 11:29:03 am »
I love it, the orange colour is stunning.Seems like a nice vehicle all around. does anyone know what the fuel consumption is?

Click the link on the first post of this thread.  IT was sending you to the wrong update, but is fixed now.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 11:53:10 am »
Ugly wheels? Check.

Odd paint? Check.

Agricultural, thrashy engine? Check.

CVT? Check.

Must be a Subaru.

GM Fanboy's are a pathetic bunch.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 03:53:21 pm »

Nothing approaches the Subaru Slappies. :)
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 05:51:38 pm »

Subaru does not require bailouts from several levels of government to survive. If it weren't for tax dollars GM would not exist today  :)

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:33 pm »

Subaru does not require bailouts from several levels of government to survive. If it weren't for tax dollars GM would not exist today  :)

How do you know that on either count? Do you know what subsidies the Government of Japan has provided to Fuji Heavy Industries? Your slappiness is showing...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 09:15:46 pm »

That they are.  Not as populous on the forum as they once were, but those remianing do their darndest to pick up the slack.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 08:55:30 am »
Mike, I'm finding it hard to get past those rims.  Have you heard anything "official" about the rationale for that design?  Other than that, I really like this vehicle.  What tires are on it right now?*

*Edit: Never mind - just noticed from the pics that you're on Blizzaks.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:00:09 am by Brigitte »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 09:16:18 am »
Mike, I'm finding it hard to get past those rims.  Have you heard anything "official" about the rationale for that design?  Other than that, I really like this vehicle.  What tires are on it right now?*

*Edit: Never mind - just noticed from the pics that you're on Blizzaks.

Good question Brigitte. I'm with you on the rims. The first time I saw one this fall I thought it had winter steelies on a little early. It's kind of a "WTF were they thinking"  sort of thing.  :think:

Subaru builds some pretty good, well engineered cars.  On the other hand, they have never been held up as a shining example of sophisticated good taste or restained and elegant interior design work. When I see some Subaru design choices I think  "Manga" or "Pokemon"and...... I still remember the vinyl seats with the blue plaid fabric inserts in my '82 wagon.  ;D ::)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 10:01:53 am »

...GM used to own a sizeable share of Subaru, which it had to sell under the terms of the bailout (or maybe just for milk money). Toyota picked those shares up quickly.

So Subie fans owe a bit to GM for the fact that Subaru is still here  :stick:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 04:52:07 pm »

HA HA , big thumbs up. Now toyota will destroy all that's good with Subaru :'(

...GM used to own a sizeable share of Subaru, which it had to sell under the terms of the bailout (or maybe just for milk money). Toyota picked those shares up quickly.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »

Well, step one of the collaboration is the BRZ.  I would call that a great start

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »

Well, step one of the collaboration is the BRZ.  I would call that a great start

Agreed, GM's idea of collaboration was to take an Impreza and put a SAAB logo on it. That took real smarts!  ::)