Author Topic: Suggestions/thoughts appreciated on future possible purchase  (Read 12960 times)

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
Suggestions/thoughts appreciated on future possible purchase
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:36:43 pm »
With the Altima getting annoying problems now that it may be a good time to possibly trade it in. I would like to get used again but in all through the years I progressively got newer cars (15 years old to 10 years old to 6 years old). I might take a gamble on a car just as old if it can provide me reliability and durability for a few years.

I was looking at Lexus ES and RX and these cars keep their value...or are they often overpriced? I've seen 2005s for $8000 with 170k! Then newer Hyundai cars which are a bargain and they don't seem to do that bad. Also looking at Accords again, but they seem to have problems constantly with burning oil and brakes I heard. But my mind is not solid on a vehicle yet. This is what I want:

- comfortable seats
- decent on gas (13L or less in city, 10 or less hwy)
- FWD or AWD
- heated mirrors and seats
- sunroof
- leather is nice too have but I can sacrifice it if need be
- reliability
- comfortable ride, can be stiff ride but not punishing and not too noisy (punishing example: Scion FR-S)
- legroom must not be the same size as a toaster
- crossover, SUV accepted provided they come with parking sensors/camera or very good visibility

I want to reward myself with luxury or luxurious (loaded with goodies) enough car this time and I can DIY some repairs to save money. The car is good for now but certain aspects of it makes me want to dump it soon as possible. Budget is around $15k. Do you guys have any suggestions or insight? Is it wise to consider an older higher mileage Lexus/Toyota (provided they pass inspection, below 200k) over newer regular loaded cars with less mileage?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Suggestions/thoughts appreciated on future possible purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 02:31:35 pm »
A Q5 2.0 or 3.0 hits all your buttons  but a fairly new certified one might be well past your budget and the older ones are not scored high for reliability and  have either the unreliable 3.2 or an earlier oil burning 2.0.  2009 is the year of introduction so that would be an 'old one' there was a facelift in 2012.

The equivalent Lexus is probably a much better buy 2nd hand.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 01:05:00 pm »
I forgot to mention only automatic, my bad. I can't drive manual :(

Q5 is out of my budget.

I considered the Fusion but I was told these cars have lots of transmission issues. But I will look this up in detail to be sure. Those Fusion Sports look very nice but without the colored seat inserts. And can you believe some of the Sport's were rentals? No joke, I was looking at one a few weeks ago until I found out it was a former rental (Enterprise/National had them) and it had a $2800 accident claim. Needless to say I passed.

There is a 2006 Lexus with close to 170k on it that was originally sold by that dealer. If it has the maintenence records with it, is it worth a look?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 01:43:35 pm »

There is a 2006 Lexus with close to 170k on it that was originally sold by that dealer. If it has the maintenence records with it, is it worth a look?

It will go 3x that mileage without much difficulty.  One of the most solid cars ever built.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:33:30 pm »

It will go 3x that mileage without much difficulty.  One of the most solid cars ever built.
While I agree Lexus makes great cars doesn't the IS250 get a bad rap for something about the engine. Only saying because he didn't mention which model.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »
I forgot to mention only automatic, my bad. I can't drive manual :(

Q5 is out of my budget.

I considered the Fusion but I was told these cars have lots of transmission issues. But I will look this up in detail to be sure. Those Fusion Sports look very nice but without the colored seat inserts. And can you believe some of the Sport's were rentals? No joke, I was looking at one a few weeks ago until I found out it was a former rental (Enterprise/National had them) and it had a $2800 accident claim. Needless to say I passed.

not sure where you heard about the transmission issues in the Fusion...it's not a common issue at all - if you were referring to the Focus, then for sure!...that transmission is crap.

$2800 is a small claim...if you were talking about $7000, then I'd be concerned.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:53:00 pm »

unfortunately the engine in the IS250 is crap...sludge problem is widespread with these engines. 170k might be trouble...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:26:08 pm »
In the original post he states he's looking at ES Lexus models - they're not exciting cars, but pretty near one of the most reliable cars ever sold.  So I assumed an ES.

And I'd too stay away from the IS250, not only because of carbon issues, but because the IS350 is SO SO awesome and I'd spend the extra time to find one of those rare birds.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 04:25:44 pm »
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/Charger/SCARBOROUGH/Ontario/19_9070434_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=3_15_18

stretching your budget... but just a thought.
^
^^ Assuming he lives in MTL, a full size sedan will be a pain to drive!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »
didn't even notice the ads were all from france jr.... whoopsie. meh... would likely have camera's/sensors like the suv/cuv category... you can all ignore this guy in the corner...

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 11:04:16 pm »
In the original post he states he's looking at ES Lexus models - they're not exciting cars, but pretty near one of the most reliable cars ever sold.  So I assumed an ES.

And I'd too stay away from the IS250, not only because of carbon issues, but because the IS350 is SO SO awesome and I'd spend the extra time to find one of those rare birds.

See what happens when I don't proofread sometimes... <_< Yes, its the ES 330 not the IS.

And for Tauri13, yes I am in Montreal. When you gotta deal with the crappy roads here, you need something that won't break your back in two. Comfort is a big factor for me as long as it's not too punishing. I am driving a full size car right now so it is not a problem for me.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 01:19:23 pm »
I saw a 2013 Sonata Limited for $13k. It has the navi option and Carproof shows a page full of entries that it has regularly visited the dealer in Amos, QC since new but the only downside is it has over 100k so the warranty on it is gone. On a 2 year old car with no warranty left, would you still consider it or pass?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »
I saw a 2013 Sonata Limited for $13k. It has the navi option and Carproof shows a page full of entries that it has regularly visited the dealer in Amos, QC since new but the only downside is it has over 100k so the warranty on it is gone. On a 2 year old car with no warranty left, would you still consider it or pass?
Tell them you want a extended factory warranty add on at no charge

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »

What do low mileage examples sell for?  Is it a good deal?  I usually buy cars with little or no warranty left as the prices are low.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 10:17:44 pm »
Tell them you want a extended factory warranty add on at no charge

I thought it was not possible to add any manafacturer extended warranty if the original warranty is expired or am I wrong? Keep in mind this is not sold by a big brand dealership.

What do low mileage examples sell for?  Is it a good deal?  I usually buy cars with little or no warranty left as the prices are low.

Lower mileage models of the same trim and year sell for about $15k and up.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:19:39 pm by MD1987 »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:43 pm »
So $2K difference in price?  Not bad, but perhaps there's some room to move in the price - lean heavily on the mileage and try to get as close to $10K as possible, if not below.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 11:02:18 pm »
So $2K difference in price?  Not bad, but perhaps there's some room to move in the price - lean heavily on the mileage and try to get as close to $10K as possible, if not below.

My bad, I should have mentioned this is one of those used car places that offers one price with no negociation possible. Next time, I should mention if it is a one-price place or not, my fault sorry.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Suggestions/thoughts appreciated on future possible purchase
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 12:05:43 am »

Pass...a page full of entries might be a concern too, is this a lemon? It should have 5-7 entries max, otherwise the car spent too much time at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk