Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Cadillac ATS  (Read 20918 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Cadillac ATS
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:28:32 am »

The 2014 Cadillac ATS is as sharp as it looks.

Read More...

Offline amplitech

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Ford Focus Wagon, 2000 Olds Intrigue, 2013 Fusion Hybrid, 2002 Venture (all currently owned)
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Cadillac ATS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 07:16:13 am »
While I admit that my experience with manual-mode automatics is limited, pulling back on the shift lever to downshift seems intuitive to me. On every regular floor-shift automatic I've owned, pulling back downshifts. I would find pushing forward to downshift counter-intuitive. Maybe that is why I hated the manual-shift function of then2010 Mazda 3 I rented once....or maybe it is because the thing refused to do what I asked of it half of the time anyway. Like the author said...pretend bit of fakery.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:32:16 am »
Forward for up, back for down is wrong. So very wrong

You are sooooooooooooooooo wrong  :rofl2: Aussie are just backwards  ;D

Our 2000 BMW is that way , it works

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:52:47 am »
I've heard so much about the ATS and how competitive it is.  It looks like a great car.  However, and I'm not sure why, I don't think I'd ever consider buying one. 

Maybe it's the Caddy name or the interior design or a combination of both but with cars like the IS 350 F-Sport, Audi A4 Manual (with S-Line + Black Optics), Q50S AWD all going for about the same or less, it's really hard to but a GM product. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:09 am »
As much as I want to like the ATS – especially in 2.0T six-speed RWD trim – I just can't warm up to its looks. My main issue is vertical headlights, I really dislike those on cars.

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Cadillac ATS AWD
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:11:54 am »
I have a 2014 ATS AWD 2.0T and I agree with your criticisms about the overpriced sunroof and small trunk.

As far as the volume control and touch screen, it is a matter of getting used to the touch sensitivity.  All the touch controls work well for me.

Your fuel economy wasn't that good but probably expected for a 3.6L.  I get about 11.5L/100km driving in the city with AWD which is pretty good.

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:19:55 am »
I've heard so much about the ATS and how competitive it is.  It looks like a great car.  However, and I'm not sure why, I don't think I'd ever consider buying one. 

Maybe it's the Caddy name or the interior design or a combination of both but with cars like the IS 350 F-Sport, Audi A4 Manual (with S-Line + Black Optics), Q50S AWD all going for about the same or less, it's really hard to but a GM product.

The interior design was one of the reasons I bought the ATS.  I found the red leather interior with carbon fibre trim and multi coloured display way better than the drab monochrome interior of my Mercedes C300.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:00:07 am »
Forward for up, back for down is wrong. So very wrong

You are sooooooooooooooooo wrong  :rofl2: Aussie are just backwards  ;D

Our 2000 BMW is that way , it works
Nothing is wrong! The both and opposite direction comes from the manual transmissions. There were sticks with odds ahead and pairs back and opposite ones with pairs ahead and odds back. Almost the same applies to the rear position of the lever. And they coexisted years and years. For example my Fiats were with first choice always but Datsun Cherry was exactly opposite! So what?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:02:59 am »
As much as I hate GM, and still wouldn't buy this, the sole reason why I dislike this car is the interior volumes; it feels small in every respect.  Similarly, Jacob, you laud GM for having 10 media inputs, but I found it ridiculous that the glove compartment was so compromised by the CD player.

Other than its minuscule interior dimensions compared to its exterior (I don't find it a particularly 'compact' vehicle), I REALLY like it - the drive is better than current BMWs.  I don't mind the looks, I think the AWD system is good - as a driver's car, it is very good.

...but one does have to live with a car, and if I'm going to have a car bigger than a Civic (+600lbs min., +2.5in length, +2in width, it better have more interior space than a Civic (290L vs the Civic's 353?; 33.5in rear legroom vs 36.2in in the Civic?!).  I just don't think the ATS is packaged well.

Curiously, the ATS hasn't been tested by the IIHS?  ...and the CTS doesn't fare too well.
Seriously, a "moderate" for passenger intrusion space on the moderate frontal overlap?  On a 2014 full-size vehicle?
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/cadillac/cts

Look, I don't want to sit and GM bash here - I respect how far they've come in revamping their lineups.  Their cars just don't fit my needs, and that doesn't make them bad cars.  I will, however, point out areas where I think there needs to be improvement.  Some will complain about the CUE system, but I'm more concerned over packaging (the aforementioned volumes) and safety, myself.

In the same respect, I dislike the Lexus IS (the previous generation more so) for being such a large car, yet with minuscule interior dimensions and limitations.  The newer one is better, but not great.  I've always applauded BMW for the 3-series size, but I think the compact economy cars are just so much better and somehow all these 'luxury' items are bulking out these vehicles too much.  Look at the Sentra - the exterior is smaller than the ATS, yet it has a TON of room inside (rivalling the interior space of most mid-size cars that are a foot longer).  That impresses me.

Oh, and I agree that Mazda has the tiptronic right - up for downshift, back for upshift.

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:56 am »

The interior design was one of the reasons I bought the ATS.  I found the red leather interior with carbon fibre trim and multi coloured display way better than the drab monochrome interior of my Mercedes C300.

I love that interior. Black ATS with that interior would be the call for me.

Funny you say that because that's that exactly what I have ;)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:33:44 am »
...but one does have to live with a car, and if I'm going to have a car bigger than a Civic (+600lbs min., +2.5in length, +2in width, it better have more interior space than a Civic (290L vs the Civic's 353?; 33.5in rear legroom vs 36.2in in the Civic?!).  I just don't think the ATS is packaged well.

Are you forgetting that the ATS is RWD/AWD? Of course it's going to have a smaller trunk than a similarly sized FWD sedan.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 10:37:43 am »
It's not the trunk - it's the other interior dimensions.  The glovebox, legroom, etc.  Height I can understand, but there's no reason why the ATS should be so 'nose-y' and yet so snug width-wide inside compared to something that fares better in crash tests and is narrower.

It's my opinion, no need to defend the ATS against it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:41 am »
It's not the trunk - it's the other interior dimensions.  The glovebox, legroom, etc.  Height I can understand, but there's no reason why the ATS should be so 'nose-y' and yet so snug width-wide inside compared to something that fares better in crash tests and is narrower.

It's my opinion, no need to defend the ATS against it.

Didn't you just quote the trunk space?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:15 pm »
I dislike that interior a lot...the dashboard seems old school. This is one of my favorite interior in this class:

and this:

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 12:19:58 pm »
Most agree that the ATS is a good car (I do too). Seems like the buzz has died down quite a bit though, how are they selling?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:32:14 pm »
Most agree that the ATS is a good car (I do too). Seems like the buzz has died down quite a bit though, how are they selling?

Not terribly well as far as I understand.

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 01:11:36 pm »
I dislike that interior a lot...the dashboard seems old school. This is one of my favorite interior in this class:

and this:

I find my ATS dashboard more modern looking than the ones you displayed.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 01:17:20 pm »
ATS's dashboard is not nearly as classy as the lexus or bmw though IMO.

too many colors, silly touch buttons..

when i see red, blue and white color on SAME dials, it reminds me of cheap compacts.(of which i had one!)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 01:24:43 pm »
Thats a great looking car. The turbo 6spd manual would be my choice, but wow do I like these.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 01:31:30 pm »
ATS's dashboard is not nearly as classy as the lexus or bmw though IMO.

too many colors, silly touch buttons..

when i see red, blue and white color on SAME dials, it reminds me of cheap compacts.(of which i had one!)

There are high end cars like Porshes and Ferraris which have featured red, blue and white colours on the same dials.  Nothing to do with being classy.