Author Topic: Purchasing 2016 Mazda 3 - Questions About Additional Charges  (Read 9707 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Purchasing 2016 Mazda 3 - Questions About Additional Charges
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 06:32:31 pm »
I ordered my Mazda3 back in 2014. Aside from knowing exactly what I wanted, I also then didn't have a silly dealer sticker on the tailgate, no add-on accessories, and was able to get proper summer RF tires installed.

I wouldn't pay extra for something I didn't ask for, and that includes things like wheel locks, tint, "nitrogen fill"  :rofl:
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:34 pm »
supply and demand...

do your homework and see what kind of supply is anywhere near you... if there is nothing, all you can do is put in offers of what you are comfortable with and go from there. they can say no, you can say no and so on....

this time of year is tricky. 2016's are pretty much done. not sure what the current incentives are on the 3, but i'm sure it's better than what would be on the 2017 model. the question becomes are they good enough to warrant buying the car that will be "last years model" at that discounted price, plus have to add on the features they are speaking of.

me, i'd say i'm not happy with that and will order a 2017 without the added "features" they are installing. likely the increase in msrp from year to year will be minimal, so the actual price will be less for the year newer, but rates, etc. might be worse. when they see you are a real buyer and not willing to put up with goofy costs, they can either take a deposit and put you in the books for a 2017, or look into how much they want to move the '16 and give you a price more suitable.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 03:31:19 pm »
I find it strange that the rust protection was already done, I haven't heard of a dealer doing that unless the car had been previously sold and the deal unwound.  One of the main reasons is dealer trades,  if they needed a X from another dealer and they wanted the 3 in exchange, no way they would pay for the treatment.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 04:14:43 pm »
This is all typical stealership BS, move on

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 04:34:09 pm »
hard to move on sometimes out east... not going to dealer trade from 1000kms away or something on a 20 grand car with less than a grand in profit.

dealership is playing it risky doing things like the rust ahead of time for sure... i wonder what type of rust protection it is?

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 09:28:39 pm »
Like everyone said, walk away unless you like getting ripped off.
I got nitrogen and wheel lock nut charge waived when I got my first new car years ago.  Just told them they can remove them if they want.
Good luck with the purchase.  I hope you get a fair deal at the end.

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 10:53:40 pm »
hard to move on sometimes out east... not going to dealer trade from 1000kms away or something on a 20 grand car with less than a grand in profit.

dealership is playing it risky doing things like the rust ahead of time for sure... i wonder what type of rust protection it is?

Can't remember the rust proofing, like I said it was more an undercoating.

This dealer does lots of crap. Tint and wheel locks were added to every vehicle - no option to remove. They had cargo trays and bumper cards added to all the hatchbacks too. I also recall a number of Mazda 2's with decals - that cost ~$800! - added before they were sold. Not surprising they've rust proofed the car.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:37 am »
A Hyundai store i used to work for after I left mind you, began adding a $1299 'Prairie Package' that included a block heater, wheel locks, mud flaps and a set of winter mats. They also claimed to change all the fluids, including differentials, to a 'harsh climate' grade fluid. They didn't of course, it was just a scam. The coolant change had to be done anyways after a block heater install. 

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 08:35:08 pm »
Read the sticky on the buying and leasing on Etching and nitrogen. Not sure about NFLD but in Ontario a dealer can not make you buy unsolicited add ons. If its not on the window sticker they can not charge you for anything they have added themselves  other than taxes and registration .  $600 for PDI seems high. I feel sorry for consumers who get sucked in because they don't know any better.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 03:33:45 pm »
they don't have omvic out in nfld... so no true rules there other than

as for the add-ons, even in ontario, they can make you take actual items that are on the car. they can't force you to add them, but if they are there already, it is within omvic rules to charge.

also, it is their advertised price that things are based on... so they can't advertise one price, then force you to take more things... but they can advertise a price that includes a million add-ons and then they are allowed.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 08:23:55 am »
I think the other valid question here is why are their accessories (namely wheel-locks) more expensive than the already marked up price on the Mazda website?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 11:11:11 am »
A Hyundai store i used to work for after I left mind you, began adding a $1299 'Prairie Package' that included a block heater, wheel locks, mud flaps and a set of winter mats. They also claimed to change all the fluids, including differentials, to a 'harsh climate' grade fluid. They didn't of course, it was just a scam. The coolant change had to be done anyways after a block heater install.

Wow, what a ripoff.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 01:49:54 pm »
I think the other valid question here is why are their accessories (namely wheel-locks) more expensive than the already marked up price on the Mazda website?

That's really simple, their a stealership  ;D

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 02:34:24 pm »

Because the new car dept. get charged by the shop for the .25 hour shop rate for the installation.  Many lay people don't understand how car dealerships work, just because the work is done "in-house" doesn't mean the New Car Dept doesn't have to pay the Service Dept to do the work.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 02:42:38 pm »

Because the new car dept. get charged by the shop for the .25 hour shop rate for the installation.  Many lay people don't understand how car dealerships work, just because the work is done "in-house" doesn't mean the New Car Dept doesn't have to pay the Service Dept to do the work.

Fine, but customer should not have to pay for that IMO. If the sales dept is making profit off of the wheel lock nuts, they should eat the labour charge needed to install it.
As mentioned before, I got the dealer to waive the charges for the wheel lock nuts that were already on my car when I got it, along with Nitrogen that was already in its tires.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 03:05:57 pm »

Fine, but customer should not have to pay for that IMO. If the sales dept is making profit off of the wheel lock nuts, they should eat the labour charge needed to install it.
As mentioned before, I got the dealer to waive the charges for the wheel lock nuts that were already on my car when I got it, along with Nitrogen that was already in its tires.

I hear ya, just explaining why $64 locks are $100.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 03:13:01 pm »
We all more than understand how thy work,,, there is no rocket science involved here

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2016, 03:23:23 pm »
We all more than understand how thy work,,,

You would think so, but this question was asked, and you replied to it as just "stealership"

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2016, 03:32:36 pm »

The sales department doesn't make the profit.  Most of it is the service and separate parts department.  The sales dept probably makes a ten spot on the whole thing.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 03:43:16 pm »
I don't understand why the industry changed to have parts and service as a separate business unit from car sales. It seems to promote an unnecessarily antagonistic relationship.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken