Author Topic: Cycling Gear  (Read 30238 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Cycling Gear
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
Picked up some new road bike shoes as my old ones are now for my CX

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Cycling Gear
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:02:25 pm »
Bought some new mtb shoes recently. Didn't much consider anything beyond fit and price, but now that I have them I'm really noticing that they're black. Maybe it's just me, but any kind of black athletic shoe (especially when worn with shorts) just looks hopelessly dorky to me.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »
Good looking shoes, Snowman. Is that Boa closure system, how do you like it?
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:42:22 pm »
I know you didn't ask me, but my new shoes have a Boa closure. :)

It works just fine, but seems needlessly complicated to me. My old mtb shoes had laces with three Velcro straps over top and that worked great. Can't beat laces for a snug and even fit, IMO.

My road shoes have a ratcheting strap closure, which also works fine. Less precise adjustment than the Boa, but it's precise enough.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:16 pm »
Good looking shoes, Snowman. Is that Boa closure system, how do you like it?

Yes its the Boa system and I think it great. I have it on my winter MTB boots as well.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Cycling Gear
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:34:20 pm »
My daughter has a pair of ski boots (yes, ski boots, not snowboard boots) and the liner has a BOA system. She likes it as it's super quick but I think it looks complex and would be impossible to field repair. And as the boots can be used in the backcountry that's a little troubling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:42:14 pm »
Not sure how I feel about BOA system lacing on my MTB shoes. It's fine on my snowboard boots, but the three velcro straps on my MTB footwear works great and makes for easy removal if I need to wade through a deeper creek with the bike on my shoulders.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:12:06 pm »
Picture from last year, but nothing's changed for now.

I'm on flat pedals; that may change the latter half of this season.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 03:23:07 pm »
So, my Keen MTB shoes crapped out after two seasons of moderate wear.  The screws for the clip-thingy as well as the plate had fallen off one shoe, and the metal shank was floating around under my insole.  I expect a lot from Keen, and a lot from a $140 purchase, plus I had driven all the way to the Toronto MEC store to get them, as they weren't stocked anywhere else.  So, I headed to MEC in Burlington this morning to try on some other shoes, and I brought the old ones with me.

They refunded my Keens, which gave me a net cost of zero for these new ones!  Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro IV.  They are even more comfortable than the Keens, and I really like the ratcheting mechanism on the top closure.  I will be throwing some Loc-Tite into the screws this time around, as I have no plans for clipping.

So, then I sez to myself I sez, "Self, what about a new helmet, since we're here?"   ;D  So, I bought a new helmet, as my inexpensive old Giro always bothered me.  It never fit quite right.  This one allows for better cooling, and the straps are far more comfortable against my face.  Feels lighter, and it even has a blinky on the back!  Love the high-vis colour, too.  Met 20 Mile helmet.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 04:00:33 pm »
So, my Keen MTB shoes crapped out after two seasons of moderate wear.

That is seriously disappointing. Bike shoes get very little wear and tear especially compared to hiking shoes and should last 10+ years easily. My road bike shoes easily have over 20,000 kms and my commuter bike shoes have 10,000 kms and both are still are like new. I use to be one of the biggest Keen supporters but I have moved on to other brands now due to their lack of quality.

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro IV.

These look great. I find it hard to find a shoe with flat soul and no laces. I'll have to check these out as the Mrs is looking for a new pair.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 05:41:35 pm »
Thought I'd a review of some new biking gear I bought.

First up is a new bike light...Planet Bike Blaze 650 XLR
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3052.html

My previous bike light (Light & Motion) but it just stopped working so back to MEC it went and I picked up this one. Was torn over 650 XLR  model and the one below it, 500 XLR.

Specs:

Model: 650 XLR ($80 at MEC)
Low: 220 lumens / 10.5 hrs
Mid: 350 lumens / 6 hours
High: 650 lumens / 2.5 hours

Model: 500 XLR ($60 at MEC)
Low: 250 lumens / 4.5 hrs
High: 500 lumens / 2.5 hrs

After seeing how much better the 650 is, it seemed like a no brainer to spend the extra 20 bucks for the better model.

Gave it a good test on a group night ride from Paris to Cambridge on the rail trail. The majority of people just had cheap(er) bike lights that made them seen and would help them see some of the trail in front of them. Then I would turn on my light and it would completely wash their light out and show them the way. The would quickly respond with comments like, the sun just came back out, my ass is on fire from your light or just a simple WOW!

I only used the lowest setting and when riding solo I had no issues seeing everything on the trail. It worked so well that I forgot to try to med and high settings. The beam pattern is great, wide enough to cover the whole width of the trail (and beyond) plus far enough out ahead where I could easily ride 30 kph without any fear.

When riding besides somebody with a weaker light I just made their life easier.

While riding beside somebody else with an equivalent light it was like have my car lights on the trail. Really amazing.

I use to do night riding 25 years ago when light systems (mostly due to large batteries) were really heavy. My BLT lights had the battery shaped like a water bottle so you could just put it in the bottle cage then wire up the lights. I can’t remember what I paid for them back then but I’m sure it was easily more than 100 bucks. The lights today are more powerful, smaller, lighter, last much longer and a lot cheaper.

Second item is a base layer for cycling. I can’t remember when I started to wear a baselayer cycling but for some reason I really like it. Obviously when it’s cold it helps a lot with keeping you warmer but when it’s warm/hot out, it also helps with keeping you cooler….believe it or not. I’ve been using the same ones for the last 20+ years and figured it was time I could use some new ones. Saying that, they never fell apart or have any holes in them. Let hope the new ones are just as good in quality.

So I picked up a couple of DeFeet UnDShurt Tees ($40 each at MEC).
http://defeet.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=ADFE62A1E1D94071B329D346B1F38AC7

The large size fits me perfect which makes me happy because some cycling clothes are sized for a pro cycling body which I don’t have. Its almost skin tight (which you want) and doesn’t sag or bunch up anywhere. Tucks in well with either bike short or bibs and I don’t feel like I’m wearing anything under my jersey. Rarely do I get such a perfect fit from cycling clothes.

I’ve now tested it on training, fast, slow and recovery rides in cool, warm and hot/humid conditions. Plus wore it on a hard training ride on a hot sunny day, hung it to dry then a few hours later put it back on to go for a ride with the Mrs which for me is a recovery ride.

Love these tees. Fit great, dry quickly and work like they should. You can drop a lot of money on cycling clothes, for example getting a Rapha wool base layer can set you back $200 or more so these seem like a bargain. I notice on their website you can get these in wool but MEC doesn’t carry that version so I’ll have to keep an eye out for them somewhere else.

Highly recommend both the light and baselayer.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 06:18:25 pm »
These look great. I find it hard to find a shoe with flat soul and no laces. I'll have to check these out as the Mrs is looking for a new pair.

So far, so good.  Did a quick 60-minute ride with them today, and they are great.  Even more comfortable than the Keens for just plain walking when you need to. 

I must say that it's really tough to find MTB shoes like this, for women, in stock at a store, as opposed to those that look like slacker sneakers/Vans or are unisex.  I'm sorry, but unisex for shoes is just a bad idea.  :shake:  These were one of the few models that were actually stocked (but limited) in Burlington.  Most of them are only in Toronto or Vancouver, it seems.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 06:21:37 pm »

First up is a new bike light...Planet Bike Blaze 650 XLR
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3052.html

My previous bike light (Light & Motion) but it just stopped working so back to MEC it went and I picked up this one. Was torn over 650 XLR  model and the one below it, 500 XLR.

Specs:

Model: 650 XLR ($80 at MEC)
Low: 220 lumens / 10.5 hrs
Mid: 350 lumens / 6 hours
High: 650 lumens / 2.5 hours

Model: 500 XLR ($60 at MEC)
Low: 250 lumens / 4.5 hrs
High: 500 lumens / 2.5 hrs

After seeing how much better the 650 is, it seemed like a no brainer to spend the extra 20 bucks for the better model.

Gave it a good test on a group night ride from Paris to Cambridge on the rail trail. The majority of people just had cheap(er) bike lights that made them seen and would help them see some of the trail in front of them. Then I would turn on my light and it would completely wash their light out and show them the way. The would quickly respond with comments like, the sun just came back out, my ass is on fire from your light or just a simple WOW!

I only used the lowest setting and when riding solo I had no issues seeing everything on the trail. It worked so well that I forgot to try to med and high settings. The beam pattern is great, wide enough to cover the whole width of the trail (and beyond) plus far enough out ahead where I could easily ride 30 kph without any fear.

When riding besides somebody with a weaker light I just made their life easier.

While riding beside somebody else with an equivalent light it was like have my car lights on the trail. Really amazing.

I use to do night riding 25 years ago when light systems (mostly due to large batteries) were really heavy. My BLT lights had the battery shaped like a water bottle so you could just put it in the bottle cage then wire up the lights. I can’t remember what I paid for them back then but I’m sure it was easily more than 100 bucks. The lights today are more powerful, smaller, lighter, last much longer and a lot cheaper.

Second item is a base layer for cycling. I can’t remember when I started to wear a baselayer cycling but for some reason I really like it. Obviously when it’s cold it helps a lot with keeping you warmer but when it’s warm/hot out, it also helps with keeping you cooler….believe it or not. I’ve been using the same ones for the last 20+ years and figured it was time I could use some new ones. Saying that, they never fell apart or have any holes in them. Let hope the new ones are just as good in quality.

So I picked up a couple of DeFeet UnDShurt Tees ($40 each at MEC).
http://defeet.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=ADFE62A1E1D94071B329D346B1F38AC7

The large size fits me perfect which makes me happy because some cycling clothes are sized for a pro cycling body which I don’t have. Its almost skin tight (which you want) and doesn’t sag or bunch up anywhere. Tucks in well with either bike short or bibs and I don’t feel like I’m wearing anything under my jersey. Rarely do I get such a perfect fit from cycling clothes.

I’ve now tested it on training, fast, slow and recovery rides in cool, warm and hot/humid conditions. Plus wore it on a hard training ride on a hot sunny day, hung it to dry then a few hours later put it back on to go for a ride with the Mrs which for me is a recovery ride.

Love these tees. Fit great, dry quickly and work like they should. You can drop a lot of money on cycling clothes, for example getting a Rapha wool base layer can set you back $200 or more so these seem like a bargain. I notice on their website you can get these in wool but MEC doesn’t carry that version so I’ll have to keep an eye out for them somewhere else.

Highly recommend both the light and baselayer.

Good stuff!  Love your gear reviews.   :)  Don't even get me started on sizing for cycling clothes.   :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »
I arrived at a trailhead one midnight with the plan to ride the first bunch and then hike.  I rigged my climbing headlamp to my bike helmet and off I went.

OMG - It was terrifying.  Despite having 130lumens (which is great for a normal headlamp) I could barely see where I was going - trying to miss rocks, roots, etc, was nearly impossible.  I made terrible time, but persevered 'cause I really wanted to have my bike for the descent in the daylight.

I'm going to get that 650 bike light!!!  Thanks for the review!!!!

One thing that kills me on some rides is the overnight pack - I can't believe how much extra energy it takes to grind my already-way-way-too-heavy bike up a grade with even just 20lbs on my back.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 07:03:37 pm »
One thing that kills me on some rides is the overnight pack - I can't believe how much extra energy it takes to grind my already-way-way-too-heavy bike up a grade with even just 20lbs on my back.

Dude.  If anyone needs a lighter bike, it's you.  Do it. 

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 08:12:14 pm »
I've a 17kg DH bike, which is actually par for its class. So you all have lighter bikes than I do.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 08:15:41 pm »
Nope - mine is an even 50lbs!  But it's taken me on some really cool adventures and now I'm kinda fond of it.  And for the $139 original investment, it just seems ridiculous how robust the stupid thing it.  Now it's almost a game to see how long it will last...!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:21:09 pm »
Nope - mine is an even 50lbs!  But it's taken me on some really cool adventures and now I'm kinda fond of it.  And for the $139 original investment, it just seems ridiculous how robust the stupid thing it.  Now it's almost a game to see how long it will last...!
That's like my friend's ancient KHS DH bike he inherited from a friend!  :o I picked that thing up and said "Wow, no wonder you hate pedalling."

Canada still uses pounds? Even I don't even use pounds.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 08:52:33 pm »

Good stuff!  Love your gear reviews.   :)  Don't even get me started on sizing for cycling clothes.   :rofl2:

Thanks and no kidding. I'll admit that being a guy its not as bad as it is for women. Check out the brand Terry, the Mrs has bought a few of their items and loves them. Being a real woman (hips and curves  :)) she has no issues with fit. They have a store somewhere (I'll try to find a link for it) but they do setup a small booth at local events. I'm sure they will be at the Tour de Grand in Cambridge on July 14th as they have been for the last 4 years.

Found the place...
http://www.cyclechic.ca/

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54:20 pm »
That's like my friend's ancient KHS DH bike he inherited from a friend!  :o I picked that thing up and said "Wow, no wonder you hate pedalling."

Canada still uses pounds? Even I don't even use pounds.....

You guys haven't picked up anything until you have picked up a Jeep bike. Had a friend with one because she just loved everything Jeep. I actually think it weighs as much as a real Jeep.