Author Topic: Any reviews for Arctic Claw winter tires?  (Read 198713 times)

curls

Any reviews for Arctic Claw winter tires?
« on: September 19, 2008, 10:06:16 pm »
I'm looking at a group-buy option for a set of Arctic Claw winter tires.  They are made by Cooper and look decent but I've yet to see a true review by anyone, let alone a professional.  Does anyone have experience with these tires on their car and care to share it?  They've been out for at least 3 years from what I can tell.

Also if anyone is interested in getting in on the group buy, and you're in the greater Ottawa/Gatineau area, PM me and I'll pass your info along.

For what its worth, I am able to get my 205/60-16 size for a maximum of $93/tire which is really good for any winter tire in all honesty.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Any reviews for Arctic Claw winter tires?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:36:07 am »
Had them for 3 seasons on my XTrail, they were excellent.  I think I would have got another seasons if I would have kept the XTrail.

pwilson

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:28:33 pm »
just had these tires,245/70/17 installed on my 2008 gmc sierra, interesting to see how they perform over the winter, paid $171.95 each installed

c11666

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:47:29 am »
Hi.  I am interested in these tires.  My size is P215/60R16.  Where are you buying these tires at such a good price?  My e-mail is dennis.mcmullen@ocdsb.ca. Thanks.

brou

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:25 pm »
I have them on my RAV4, Excellent traction in snow, but very noisy, worse if studded. Seller told me that while these tires have good traction, they wear fast. I've had them 2 years, I didn't notice any unusual wear.

lcw

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 07:40:38 am »
FYI, i've read that there has been safety recalls for both Cooper tires and for the other brand they make, Dean tires. :nono:

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 02:02:57 pm »
The Arctic Claw TXI placed fourth of four winter tires tested in the following link (braking distance from 80kmh was like 25 feet behind the winner):

http://www.dynamictire.com/Triangle-SnowTire-Brochure2007web.pdf

I just got a set of four TXI's installed on my 1996 Mazda pickup yesterday. Got them studded and they are somewhat noisy. I didn't have much choice since budget winter tires are getting scarce locally. My other option was the Hankook I*Pike RC01 tires at CT (has the same tread was the Kingstar W411)....I have read that the RC01's had been discontinued. The Kingstar W411 placed at the bottom of 11 studded tires as tested by a Finnish magazine (see below).

Here are the exact results from that 2007 Snow Tire (Finnish car magazine Tekniikan Maailma) test:

Studded tires (grade and stars)

1.Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5: (9,0 5/5)
2.Michelin X-Ice North: (8,9 5/5)
3.Continental Contiwinter Viking 2: (8,4 4/5)
4.Gislaved Nord Frost 5: (8,4 4/5)
5.Goodyear UltraGrip Extreme: (8,3 4/5)
6.Vredestein Icetrac: (8,3 4/5)
7.Pirelli Carving Edge: (7,9 3/5)
8.Bridgestone Noranza 2: (7,7 2/5)
9.Hankook I*Pike: (7,7 2/5)
10.Barum Norpolaris: (6,8 1/5)
11.Kingstar W411: (6,3 0/5)

Non-studded tires (grade and stars)

1.Continental ContiViking Contact 3: (7,8 3/5)
2.Gislaved Soft Frost 2: (7,8 3/5)
3.Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi: (7,4 2/5)
4.Bridgestone Blizzak Nordic WN-01: (7,3 2/5)
5.Dunlop Graspic: (7,1 1/5)
6.Michelin X-Ice: (7,0 1/5)
7.Vredestein Nord-Trac: (6,9 1/5)
8.Toyo Garit G4: (6,8 1/5)
9.Kumho Ice Power KW 21: (6,7 0/5)
10.Yokohama Ice Guard ig20: (6,6 0/5)
11.Pirelli Icestorm: (6,2 0/5)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:04:39 pm by davidy »
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

jeffdsmith23

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 09:01:44 am »
I have these on my 99 Jetta this year.  Have had one storm already and some ice.  This is a very good value priced tire.  Are there better tires out there...of course, but these are a tire to look at given their performance and price.  My 195/65/15's came to $428/all in which included roadforce balance.  I like the dry performance overall, a bit soft in the sidewall (more noticeable in cross winds) but hey, its a winter tire...so expect a bit more "squish" and reduced handling.  I find these tires relatively quiet (contrary to another review above).  On ice, these tires perform well, again...not the best, but very good.  Light & deep snow is where they perform best.  The tread looks quite aggressive all the way out to the shoulder which most likely leads to the solid snow performance.  I had a set of KW19's on a 2000 Jetta and these Arctic Claws remind me a lot of those Kumho's, another very good value priced tire.  I cannot comment on wear yet, of course but they are a soft tire so I would expect appropriate winter tire wear from these.  I like em'...would buy again at this price point.

Other tires I have used/am using (Arctic Alpin, X-Ice, Latitude X-Ice, Kumho KW11, Kumho KW19).

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 07:01:47 pm »
I blame the other thread.  :P

But speaking of Arctic CLAWS winter TIRES have you consider this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

SMAX426

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 04:15:38 pm »
Just installed a set of Cooper Arctic Claw P245/75R16 Winter Xsi's on my 2003 Chev TrailBlazer.. No snow here yet, but there should be some soon... On dry pavement, I find them no louder than my all seasons I used throughout the summer... The profile of these tires look very nice and they have a real deep tread so I am optimistic about their handling and performance in the sloppier weather.... In Niagara Falls Canada, a set of four Cooper Arctic Claws priced out at $578 installed after taxes ...A really good deal considering the vehicle and size of the tire.. Are they truly better than Michilen X-ices ?? .. who knows? but the Michilen X-Ices would have run me $950, so the savings by going with the Coopers was just under $400 (almost $100 per tire).. as for performance I have not tried the Michilen's yet.. The snow should be here in a few weeks so I will update this post again after a bit of true winter driving.... Cheers !

geoffe

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 08:31:22 am »
Hi SMAX426,

Can you please tell me where you picked up the Arctic Claw's for $578?

I can't find anyone to put them on for that price where I am.

Thanks....

ian

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 11:17:02 am »
I've just had a set installed on my '09 Jetta Diesel.

No snow yet but they run smoothly handle well in the dry and wet and are very quiet.

So far so good.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:47:59 pm »
I blame the other thread.  :P

But speaking of Arctic CLAWS winter TIRES have you consider this?

Bahahaha!  I remember that from when I was a kid.  ;D

James Wolfe

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:30:42 am »
I fitted Arctic Claw 185/65 x 15 to a Nissan Versa SL in 2007, and used them for 2 winters. They were recommended and supplied by Cal Tyre of Duncan, Vancouver Island. I recall the cost as being approx $80 per tyre, plus fitting.

I don't have much to compare them with - I'm fairly new off the boat and have never had cause to use snow tyres before - but they have done everything I have required from them.

The tyres have given me more than adequate performance in snow, rarely suffering wheelspin and never getting me into a slide. On several occasions, I have passed stuck 4 WD trucks stuck on a local hill. The Trans Canada Highway here suffers from non-existent drainage, but the Arctic Claw has never shown any inclination to aquaplane, even in the heaviest rain - All Season tyres are likely to do this even at modest speeds.

The only problem I have encountered is dealing with rain on top of compacted, frozen snow, but only in my own driveway. I imagine most tyres have a problem with this. The noise level increase was minimal, and really only noticeable for a short time after fitting. There was a very slight increase in fuel consumption. Handling appeared to be unaffected and there was a minimal increase in hardness of ride. Wear has been minimal, too.

I have now fitted the same set to a Nissan Cube SL (supplied with 16" wheels, but Cal Tyre supplied me with 15" steel wheels to fit - base model Cubes come with 15") but there has been insufficient snow yet to be able to report. As the Cube is fitted with traction control, I see no reason to think that it will not match most 4 WD and AWD.

Considering price v performance, I would have no hesitation in using them again and I am happy to recommend them.

Nathan@1010tires

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:00:47 pm »

Bahahaha!  I remember that from when I was a kid.  ;D
[/quote]

Who wants that, when you can have this?

Arctic Claw dude

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 12:10:18 am »
Here is a link to my youtube video of a review on Arctic Claw Winter Tires.
just go onto Youtube and search Arctic Claw Winter Tires on a Honda Accord.

I will post an update video once it begins to snow here in Maryland, USA.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 11:27:44 pm »
I put them on the RAV4. We have had lots of snow so far this year and they are great in the snow. On ice, so so. I find them to be quiet on the road.  They are listed as a Cooper tire in the online, but nowhere on actual tire or label does it say Cooper. It does say though, "Made in China". Honestly don't think I would have bought them had I known that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:23:56 am by jamie1 »
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

shredmaster

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 09:17:55 pm »
I work at Kaltire k70 and in regards to the artic claw debate, its is made by copper tires for tbc (tire and battery company).  I personly highly recommend article claws we run them on our service truck and I will be running a studded set on my car this winter.  I sell them as the best tire dollar for dollar. As was said they are not the best tire but they are one of the most 'cost effective'.  As far as performance goes they are excellent on snow not as good on ice.  By excellent in snow I mean one of the best snow tires we sell the high dollar tires are better for highway driving and ice.  For around town and maybe the a few long trips or for heading up to the ski hill they are one of the best dollar for dollar tires we sell.  I highly recommend having them studded it greatly improves their ice traction.