Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2252887 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #4340 on: May 31, 2016, 05:36:46 pm »
Finding out, after three agonizing months of waiting and living in fear, that your loved one's tumour is actually benign.

I was at work when I found out, and I actually broke down in tears that wouldn't stop.  I'm now home to deal with the adrenaline dump.  Happy doesn't even begin to describe the feeling.

That is wonderful news, Brigitte.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4341 on: May 31, 2016, 05:37:56 pm »
If I looked like that, do you think I'd be single?  ;D

Well, I would. Poor Jen.  :rofl2:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4342 on: May 31, 2016, 07:34:27 pm »
>Great news Bridge. :heart: :banana: ....give him some chevy chasing and hot loving tonite..get all his cylinders firing and his marshmallows roasted........we all will be over @ midnite to hoser y'all down...and tomorrow is hump day too...... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4343 on: May 31, 2016, 11:20:16 pm »
I will never for this as long as I live:

I was zipping along the Tail of the Dragon yesterday. Parked on a pull-out were a group of young adults, a group I saw blazing by earlier in their modified Civics. Indeed, the watching road is quite the spectator sport. They saw me coming, all stood up, motioned with their arms "GO GO GO !!!" . With 200m until the next hairpin, I smiled, and was happy to oblige with the right wrist...... 8)

I tell myself that I've grown up, have a respectable job, and have outgrown such shenanigans. But if I'm honest, it's little moments "outside the lines" that make me smile, cackle, and laugh, and remember.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: June 01, 2016, 08:41:12 am »
I will never for this as long as I live:

I was zipping along the Tail of the Dragon yesterday. Parked on a pull-out were a group of young adults, a group I saw blazing by earlier in their modified Civics. Indeed, the watching road is quite the spectator sport. They saw me coming, all stood up, motioned with their arms "GO GO GO !!!" . With 200m until the next hairpin, I smiled, and was happy to oblige with the right wrist...... 8)

I tell myself that I've grown up, have a respectable job, and have outgrown such shenanigans. But if I'm honest, it's little moments "outside the lines" that make me smile, cackle, and laugh, and remember.

Yes that road can do that to you. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #4345 on: June 01, 2016, 11:53:00 am »
late to the congrats party, but that is great brig!!!! as others have said, tough to have good news regarding the big C, but it really can make you enjoy the time you have and the people you can spend it with. I'm sure he's just as happy that he gets to spend more time with you.

congrats and best of luck in the future!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4346 on: June 01, 2016, 05:59:39 pm »
Thanks again! 

He's the best thing that's ever happened to me, and he's the type of person who everybody loves.  He has the kindest heart, and yet he's a tower of strength.  I admire him very much, and I'm glad he's going to be around for many more years.

KD, I'll tell him he should get a roadster.  A 'Vette would be his choice, though.   ;D  He's a Chevy guy, through and through.

Oooo... and now it's late enough in the day for a drink.  :D  Cheers!

Live your dreams whilst you still can.  I'm a firm believer in not putting off purchases like that until a rainy day, you might not see it.  F*ck me I told Rob enough times to buy that 911...  :'(

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #4347 on: June 01, 2016, 07:17:02 pm »
Thanks, all.  :flowers:  We had put a hold on any plans for the summer and beyond, in case there were going to be treatment regimens to follow.  We can now go back to enjoying life.  I'm thinking a road trip of some kind.   :drv2:   :)

Very glad to know he is well. Yes, enjoy life to the fullest!  :thumbup:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4348 on: June 01, 2016, 07:19:42 pm »
I'm sure he's just as happy that he gets to spend more time with you.

Hopefully, that's that case.   :rofl2:

I kid.  And thank you.   :)

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: June 01, 2016, 07:20:26 pm »
F*ck me I told Rob enough times to buy that 911...  :'(

The thought had occurred to me.   :(

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4350 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:29 pm »
Very glad to know he is well. Yes, enjoy life to the fullest!  :thumbup:

It's an amazing feeling.  Thank you so much.   :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4351 on: June 01, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »

Live your dreams whilst you still can.  I'm a firm believer in not putting off purchases like that until a rainy day, you might not see it.  F*ck me I told Rob enough times to buy that 911...  :'(

Or "buy" time - while you have it.  People raise their eyebrows when I tell them I'm retired and spend my time with my family or in the mountains or both - financial sacrifice for sure, but the time itself is amazing.

I just don't want to live in the future.  Today is today - there might not be a tomorrow.  Sounds selfish, but so - we only get one go.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4352 on: June 02, 2016, 11:53:41 am »
Also late to the party in hearing about the good news Brigitte.  Made my day, to hear about this.  Enjoy yourselves!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #4353 on: June 02, 2016, 12:18:13 pm »

Or "buy" time - while you have it.  People raise their eyebrows when I tell them I'm retired and spend my time with my family or in the mountains or both - financial sacrifice for sure, but the time itself is amazing.

I just don't want to live in the future.  Today is today - there might not be a tomorrow.  Sounds selfish, but so - we only get one go.

my only issue there is that i live for everyone else... i want to make my kids' life as easy as it can be financially wise in the future. it's a hard balance between giving them the upbringing i would like to (being there all the time), or being able to live in a good area, with cars in the driveway and know they can go to the school they want, have the occasional toy or what-have-you...

you are in a position where you made your "nut" while younger... sure you might not have enough tucked away to do everything you want all the time until you are 100, but you are comfortable. in my position, i can't just turn down work to do something that gives me more freedom/fun, or i will have nothing to do in that free time, because i won't have the funds to do it.

but yeah... i do get the point... i just have some friends who are all 'carpe diem', traveling the world, buying cars, jet skiis, etc. but i know they have a grand in the bank, no retirement savings, and nothing put aside for the bad days or their kids future.

my happiness is knowing others can have a heck of a future, not about my present (though i still do an acceptable amount of fun spending). 

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: June 02, 2016, 06:30:45 pm »
Also late to the party in hearing about the good news Brigitte.  Made my day, to hear about this.  Enjoy yourselves!

Thanks, bud!   :)

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: June 02, 2016, 06:34:52 pm »
There is a huge part of me that would love to just fack off to a small town on Lake Huron, where houses are actually affordable, and where he'd still be close enough to see his kids a few times a year (which is the current frequency).  He could open a car repair biz, I'd do the admin work.  No rat race, no need for jacked-up salaries, and we'd be in an area with loads of things to do in the outdoors.

A girl can dream.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: June 02, 2016, 06:39:27 pm »
There is a huge part of me that would love to just fack off to a small town on Lake Huron, where houses are actually affordable, and where he'd still be close enough to see his kids a few times a year (which is the current frequency).  He could open a car repair biz, I'd do the admin work.  No rat race, no need for jacked-up salaries, and we'd be in an area with loads of things to do in the outdoors.

A girl can dream.

Do it.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4357 on: June 02, 2016, 07:21:21 pm »
my only issue there is that i live for everyone else... i want to make my kids' life as easy as it can be financially wise in the future. it's a hard balance between giving them the upbringing i would like to (being there all the time), or being able to live in a good area, with cars in the driveway and know they can go to the school they want, have the occasional toy or what-have-you...

Totally get it. For at least 90% of folks out there, it's near impossible to step off the treadmill.  I feel super-duper fortunate that I was able to leverage my early success.  Of course, not buying a monster house, etc, helped, but I was also very fortunate.

In some ways I contradict my own statements in that I did make initial sacrifices to enjoy myself later - but I wish I'd done more to minimize lifestyle obligations and take on time sooner than I did.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4358 on: June 02, 2016, 07:33:36 pm »

A girl can dream.
I guess you never lived in a small town
High taxes, less volume , need higher rates
 :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: June 02, 2016, 08:16:48 pm »
I guess you never lived in a small town
High taxes, less volume , need higher rates
 :rofl2:
[/quote]

I think it depends.  We're looking at some small communities near Kamloops, BC, and the cost of living is a fraction of what we pay now.  Property taxes of $1800-2500 vs the $6000 we pay now.  Lower utility rates.  PST?  So what.  The thousands we'll save on the basics of operating our household will easily offset it.