Author Topic: Hello everyone! (And also, employment questions)  (Read 3207 times)

Offline DanteRL255

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • Aficionado
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Ford Crown Vic (prospective owner)
Hello everyone! (And also, employment questions)
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:53:54 pm »
Hey, ladies and gents! I'm new to the business of driving (16th birthday was literally this week), but I've been a "gearhead" since the age of 3. I love German and Japanese cars (except for Nissans, which I hate with an undying passion ;D).

I have a quick question for the fine folks on this forum; I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't seem to find a better place, so I guess here will have to do.

I live in Southwestern Ontario, and I'm looking to go into automotive as a career (industrial design in particular), and I'm looking for a job in automotive. I (and many others) consider myself very knowledgeable about cars; the only problem is, I have no experience or qualification. As a high school student, how would I apply for a position in the automotive world without prior experience? How could I exhibit my knowledge without sounding imposing or presumptuous? Help me out here.
Flip a coin. If heads, spend the rest of the day with at least one carrot in your mouth at all times.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Hello everyone! (And also, employment questions)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:02:48 pm »
So when you say knowledgeable, do you mean you can tell the difference between a Taurus and Sable, you can rebuild an engine with a spoon and an adjustable wrench or you can design cars??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline DanteRL255

• Learner's Permit
  • Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:11:54 pm »
In fact, I can tell the difference between a Taurus and a Sable. To be more precise, I can tell you the make and model (and model year, give or take a few) of 99% of cars within my field of view at any given time. Whether I can design cars or not is open to opinion, but personally, I don't consider myself very good at designing cars (though I am learning). I know basic engine mechanics, I can do basic stuff like change wiper fluid and put on winter tires, and I could probably tell you the engine configuration and displacement of your car's engine. (Unless you have a Bricklin SV-1 and a restomod 1959 Studebaker.)

Ideally, I would like a position in a mechanic's shop to aid in spoon-based engine rebuilds.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:05:14 pm by DanteRL255 »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:49:24 pm »
Hi
Does your high school have a shop program ?
If so sign up for that course , shop teach could have some conection 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:53:24 pm »
welcome!

lots of shops take on apprentices, or just hourly guys to clean the shop, help with random jobs, etc. we just hired a kid for saturdays. just put it out there and be willing to do basic stuff and it will grow from there. i washed cars in high school... eventually i was the business manager there after driving the parts truck, working the service desk, selling and other random stuff.

(i had an in there, but it can be done)
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 05:12:05 pm »
Dante can't wait for tha InfernOooh Dude..he is sixthteen ....wot can we offer him :rofl2: :rofl: :popo: ...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DanteRL255

• Learner's Permit
  • Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 05:45:49 pm »
Thanks for the help guys!

Hi

Yes, and I am planning on taking it next year (I took it in grade 9 as well). However, it is about 95% woodworking, so maybe not the right field. Thanks though!
welcome!

lots of shops take on apprentices, or just hourly guys to clean the shop, help with random jobs, etc. we just hired a kid for saturdays.

Thanks for the support. I know a few people I can ask.

Thanks for all the help guys! A warm welcome indeed.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 10:05:24 pm »
Thanks for the help guys!

Hi

Yes, and I am planning on taking it next year (I took it in grade 9 as well). However, it is about 95% woodworking, so maybe not the right field. Thanks though!
welcome!

lots of shops take on apprentices, or just hourly guys to clean the shop, help with random jobs, etc. we just hired a kid for saturdays.

Thanks for the support. I know a few people I can ask.

Thanks for all the help guys! A warm welcome indeed.

You probably don't want to take shop in high-school unless you want to go into construction trades or be a mechanic.  Take more sciences and math.

In school you might want to make sure you take the classes to get into a program such as found at one of these colleges:

http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/SearchResults/TRANSPORTATION-LOGISTICS-AUTOMOTIVE-MANUFACTURING-DESIGN/_/N-lqft
Mr Pickypants

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »
yeah, forgot to mention... up in barrie, georgian has the canadian automotive institute... they have marketing courses for those doing sales, a dealer principal program for some specifics plus a lot of tech classes.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 02:36:52 pm »
i was chrysler product ambassador at that back in 1999! we won for best "staff".... woo whoo! think i got dinner and a pen.