Author Topic: SPIED: Facelifted Honda CR-V Caught Testing New Sheetmetal  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
SPIED: Facelifted Honda CR-V Caught Testing New Sheetmetal
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:07:10 am »

Honda looks to be refining their compact utility in latest round of spy shots

Read More...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:20:28 am by MarkStevenson »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: SPIED: Facelifted Honda CR-V Caught Testing New Sheetmetal
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:52 pm »
Let's hope the beauty here is more than skin(metal)- deep.  It'd be nice if they could tweak the powertrain, though a CVT is undoubtedly in the mix.  Maybe a slight bump in horsepower, too, but I feel that a bump in torque, even at the expense of a few top-end hp would be useful (especially if there's a move to the CVT).

And yes, the interior needs the remake more than anything.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »
 Hey..it's a Honda(AKA no-torque)  Fer crissakes. my eyes!!! The only part of this blah design  that  could be considered horrid is that fat ass...Do something about it!!   hehe  No guts, no looks..Poifeck..a Honda

Offline blork

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: TL
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:42:05 pm »
From the article "Expect the next CR-V to make land in Canada sometime in 2015 as a 2016 model."

This is incorrect. There is only mild taping on the vehicle, indicating a finished product, and the mid model change is scheduled for the 2015 model year.
Expect this revised CR-V at dealers this fall. If you're looking at a current 2014, might be worth waiting for a few months.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:42 pm »
Hey..it's a Honda(AKA no-torque)
At 185hp/163lb-ft, it's barely lower than its competition (like the Forester 2.5i at 174lb-ft), but comes with a healthier 15hp more.  In this class, all the engines are pretty much the same (in terms of driver's notice, not specifications).

Honda's engines have proven to be fairly fuel efficient in the real world and not much slower than the competition.

Only Mazda's 2.5i is better, all-in-all, with its healthy square numbers, but its transmission sucks more d!ck than both Bert and Ernie combined.

Offline blork

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: TL
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »
Hey..it's a Honda(AKA no-torque)
At 185hp/163lb-ft, it's barely lower than its competition (like the Forester 2.5i at 174lb-ft), but comes with a healthier 15hp more.  In this class, all the engines are pretty much the same (in terms of driver's notice, not specifications).

The problem with comparing peak HP, is that you'll find some are in an RPM band that is virtually inaccessible. The CR-V's current 185hp is virtually at the RPM limiter. And guess what? The automatic shifts well before that limiter arrives. So I'd say a good 10-15 hp listed is inaccessible. And likely a good 20-30 more HP is at an RPM range that is rarely accessed in normal driving. The forester has a much broader HP and torque spread, which is better for everyday driving.

If the new CR-V has the accord direct injected earth dreams engine, you'll likely see a substantial torque increase, and a shift of the power down from redline in the RPM band. That will make it drive substantially better.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »
The problem with comparing peak HP...
That was my argument.  I was saying that the engines in this class are all competitive and hp or torque #s are not particularly important.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 01:06:56 am »
Never a big fan of this style of the CR-V as I like to have big windows for visibility, especially at the back, and this does not look like it will change that.  MIL was very happy with hers though.

The problem with comparing peak HP...
That was my argument.  I was saying that the engines in this class are all competitive and hp or torque #s are not particularly important.

What is important is gearing and how accessible the power is.  For example, my Forester and the wife's RAV have very similar specs (both 2.5 l 4 cylinder engines, weight, power, torque, 4 speed AT's) but what a difference in how that translates to performance.  Even my wife complains about the poor power distribution of the RAV, totally gutless from 30 kph to 80 while the Forester just flies in comparison.  We have "The Hump" (officially the Alberni Summit) to go over to get out of town (8% grade, plus sharp 90 degree corners on each side) and there is a huge difference in how these two vehicle can manage this.  The issue seems to be a very long second gear in the RAV that you get into at very low speeds and can't get out of till that 80 kph mark.  This is manually shifting the beast, much worse when left in D.  Makes for challenging passing as well.

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:31:10 am »
What is important is gearing and how accessible the power is.
Of course, but for most that don't live in the mountains (or by them), it'll be a non-issue.  Even for you, it amounts to a preference rather than a necessity.

The better window visibility is far more important ;D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:28 am »
is it just me, it doesn't really look changed much.
?

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 05:54:10 pm »
?

It's not you. Those pictures show a mild facelift, not an all-new model
2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 06:04:20 pm »
?

Agreed, nothing to see here.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 06:12:28 pm »
Fack, I own one and can't tell its changed  :rofl2:.  Fogs lights?  Round to oval shaped?  Bulbous headlights?  Seems to be about it, although it is listed as a facelift.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 06:14:26 pm »
That D-pillar continues to look like crap. 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 12:17:58 am »
That D-pillar continues to look like crap.

I find the overall design inoffensive save for the very awkward d-pillar.  Honda has a few instances of odd shapes right now with the bit on the side of the van and this pillar.

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 07:21:07 am »
Indeed not much differences on the exterior but hopefully, honda would bring a better choice of colors for the CRV!

Offline Prius

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:29 am »
Well it gains projector headlights for the midlife update as well as Honda's proximity entry/smart start system (Does Honda have a name for that? you know, KEYLESS GO, Smart Key System SmartAccess, FAST etc etc).

This spy shot looks a bit suspicious. While I've heard no rumours of it, do anyone of you think it might be a CR-V hybrid? I'm basing this on two items - the extra badge below the "AWD" one on the bottom right of the tailgate and the aerodynamic-looking wheels similar to the current Accord Hybrid.
2010 Prius Technology Package
LED ext./int. lights, 5000K HID low beams, OEM foglights, mudguards, USDM cargo mat

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 05:33:47 am »
I find nothing wrong with the CRV, one of the of the better looking ones IMO.