Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Santa Fe vs Snowstorm  (Read 20925 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Northern Exposure: Santa Fe vs Snowstorm
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:30 am »

Justin Pritchard offers a few noteworthy points about the wintertime driving experience of the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited AWD.

Read More...

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Exposure: Santa Fe vs Snowstorm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:29 am »
 Add this to the other attributes of this little beauty....and how do you spell "winner"..Great little car...Jack

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:05 am »
"Tires: Write this down: all-wheel drive, ABS brakes and electronic stability control DO NOT make traction. The only way to increase the physical grip between a vehicle and a slippery road is at the point of contact: the tires. Electronic aids or not, riding all-season tires in conditions like these would result in a level of directional stability similar to a hummingbird on bath salts."

If only the entirety of Canadian drivers knew that...*sigh*  I don't love the idea of punishing the poor by requiring snow tires (cough, Quebec), but cars are huge money sinks...and if you're going to have one, do it right - get proper winter/snow tires.

As for the hummingbird on bath salts line - I don't know where you come up with these things, Justin, but bravo - always good for my morning laugh!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:35 am »
"Write this down: all-wheel drive, ABS brakes and electronic stability control DO NOT make traction. The only way to increase the physical grip between a vehicle and a slippery road is at the point of contact: the tires. Electronic aids or not, riding all-season tires in conditions like these would result in a level of directional stability similar to a hummingbird on bath salts."

:rofl: :rofl:

We should somehow pencil this into our driving laws. Im with Quebec on the snow tire law 100%!! Great article, very entertaining to read and informative.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:11:46 am »
This article just made me want to get the Santa Fe even more.  Unless something better comes along before fall, this is at the top of my list.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:30:43 am »
This and Kia Sportage would be the only, and I hate using this term, CUV...shudder, that I would consider. I like the way the look and that 270+ horsepower mill is really tempting. I wonder what they will be like out of warranty......

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:08 am »
I'd love to trade our disappointing '11 Sonata for one but just gun shy of Hyundai now, head office does not seem to care about anything.
Another thing, them flower rims need to be changed lol  ;D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:17 am »
"Tires: Write this down: all-wheel drive, ABS brakes and electronic stability control DO NOT make traction. The only way to increase the physical grip between a vehicle and a slippery road is at the point of contact: the tires. Electronic aids or not, riding all-season tires in conditions like these would result in a level of directional stability similar to a hummingbird on bath salts."

If only the entirety of Canadian drivers knew that...*sigh*  I don't love the idea of punishing the poor by requiring snow tires (cough, Quebec), but cars are huge money sinks...and if you're going to have one, do it right - get proper winter/snow tires.

As for the hummingbird on bath salts line - I don't know where you come up with these things, Justin, but bravo - always good for my morning laugh!

:iagree:

I'm glad that you mentioned the tires as being the only point of contact between the vehicle and the road. If anything I see AWD/4WD with no season tires as a negative in the snow and this combination only adds to greater weight and longer stopping distances.

I'd like to see a challenge with the same vehicles here comparing AWD on all seasons vs FWD/RWD on snows. That would be entertaining !!
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:59 am »

:iagree:

I'm glad that you mentioned the tires as being the only point of contact between the vehicle and the road. If anything I see AWD/4WD with no season tires as a negative in the snow and this combination only adds to greater weight and longer stopping distances.

I'd like to see a challenge with the same vehicles here comparing AWD on all seasons vs FWD/RWD on snows. That would be entertaining !!

That would be interesting, a comparo of AWD or 4x4 vs FWD/RWD. 3 vehicles, 2 sets of tires a piece taken through the same handling course. Id like to see that and it would be very informative......plus, the guys get to drift in the name of science!!  ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:33 am »
We should somehow pencil this into our driving laws. Im with Quebec on the snow tire law 100%!! Great article, very entertaining to read and informative.

Except I don't think the Quebec law is very well implemented. I think as a result, you probably have people running winter tires all year long because they don't want two sets of tires, running them very bald so they might as well be on racing slicks.

I tried having fun in a parking lot in the snow with winter tires on. I was disappoint. No sideway drifting action.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:19 am »

Except I don't think the Quebec law is very well implemented. I think as a result, you probably have people running winter tires all year long because they don't want two sets of tires, running them very bald so they might as well be on racing slicks.

I tried having fun in a parking lot in the snow with winter tires on. I was disappoint. No sideway drifting action.

Apply more throttle, speed or handbrake....

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »

Apply more throttle, speed or handbrake....

D) All of the above.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »
I checked one out last week when I was with my daughter to pick up her new Accent at our local dealer.  It is a very impressive looking vehicle inside and out.  The interior is very comfortable and a nice place to be with soft touch materials abounding.   The 2013 Santa Fe is, imo, a huge improvement over the so so previuos gen.  Good job, Hyundai!  And yes, snow tires are a big bonus even on awd vehicles in our unpredictable winter season.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »
I like how Justin gets "down and dirty" with his rides.....AND AT NIGHT!!!.....again well done Autos.ca team.
But what's with the crapola headlights again? The carmakers really should  address this issue for safety sake rather than style. Would make a night test drive #1 when buying....no ifs, ands or snowdrifts.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:09:28 pm »
after a skim through this, i'd like to state, for the record, that i am all for drifting in the name of science.

working on a similar story for the Lexus GS RWD right now. roads were a mess last night, so as usual, i went for a cruise :)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:35 pm »
Tonight I drifted the exact vehicle Justin tested... In the name of science, of course. ESC off, AWD lock on, and off you go!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:29:39 pm by Force »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:44 pm »
This and Kia Sportage would be the only, and I hate using this term, CUV...shudder, that I would consider. I like the way the look and that 270+ horsepower mill is really tempting. I wonder what they will be like out of warranty......

Have you sat in one ?
I did , I would not even take one for a test drive  ::)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:15 pm »

Have you sat in one ?

No I havent, but I think the Kia is a great looking car.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 05:44:05 am »

Have you sat in one ?
I have no been in a Sportsge, only the Santa Fe

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 10:53:02 am »

Have you sat in one ?
I have no been in a Sportsge, only the Santa Fe

What didnt you like, dashboard, seats, exterior looks?