Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:29:30 am »

Chevrolet has delivered not just a high-powered muscle car but a veritable track-ready race car for the street.

Read More...

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spin: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:33:39 am »
I can't believe the live axle Boss appeals to me more than this "high tech" zl1

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:52 am »

What's funny is the Mustang with it's solid live axle out handles the Camaro.  Why?  Because the Camaro is a porker.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:11:49 am »

What's funny is the Mustang with it's solid live axle out handles the Camaro.  Why?  Because the Camaro is a porker.

Completely untrue.  The Camaro is in another league compared to the BOSS 302.  It will do circles around the Mustang; literally.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:14:09 am »

Mike beat me to it!   I'd agree with the GT vs the SS...but as for the other versions, I don't think that's true.

The $48,500 Camaro 1LE is the $52,400 BOSS' natural competitor....and that is a good match up.  My guess is that this ZL1 would destroy the BOSS at $62,000...and it's come out on top of the GT500 in every road-test/video I can recall.

The ZL1 seems like a screaming deal to me...and they are relatively rare, which makes me think you'd actually do OK with this car if you kept it for a while as the new Camaros are likely going to be very, very different.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: Quick Spin: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:42 am »

Completely untrue.  The Camaro is in another league compared to the BOSS 302.  It will do circles around the Mustang; literally.

Mike is very correct. Ive read that in several magazines where the zl1 smoked the Boss302 and even the Shelby is no match, in the corners. Im a huge Mustang fan, Id still get the Mustang without thinking twice.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:36 am »
GM needs to apply the same goodness they did to the C7 for the Camaro before I would buy it. I rented an SS in Florida last year, did not like it one bit. All the Mustangs were long gone.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:41 am »
The Camaro is a performance demon, but the Gen-I retro looks haven't grown on me.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Looking at one in the showroom, there's all kind of cool details, but honestly, I think GM missed a great opportunity to create a modern car that still plays homage to the pony cars of decades ago.  Ford has done a much better job of channeling the spirit of Mustang-past in a contemporary car.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:26:43 am »
getting one of these for our showroom soon. Can't wait. The ZL1 is heavy, yes, but from Randy Pobst etc in the media say about it, it can handle that weight just fine and be much more controllable and refined than the Mustang. Love both, but the ZL1 gets my dollars when I can afford it.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
getting one of these for our showroom soon. Can't wait. The ZL1 is heavy, yes, but from Randy Pobst etc in the media say about it, it can handle that weight just fine and be much more controllable and refined than the Mustang. Love both, but the ZL1 gets my dollars when I can afford it.

Many scoffed at the arrogance of the Chief Engineer when he promised the ZL1 would spank the Shelby...he was right! Gotta love stuff like that.

...I think GM missed a great opportunity to create a modern car that still plays homage to the pony cars of decades ago.  Ford has done a much better job of channeling the spirit of Mustang-past in a contemporary car.

Interesting as many see the Mustang as full retro and the Camaro not being retro enough.  I'm a little scared about the styling direction the 2014 Mustang might be going.  I think they have realized they've pushed this body style as far as they can...and the next one is going to have to break away big-time a-la C7.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54:41 am »

Recent track times from Car and Driver Lightning lap. Camaro might be a porker but it is a well-engineered machine as it destroys some serious hardware around the track.

Ford Shelby GT500 - 3.00.6
Chevy Camaro SS 1LE - 3.01.5
Jaguar XKR-S - 3.02.1
Porsche Boxster S - 3.04.2

Sweet spot may be the 1LE for a cost/dollar perspective.  Another well, well engineered package.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:28 pm »

Mike is very correct. Ive read that in several magazines where the zl1 smoked the Boss302 and even the Shelby is no match, in the corners. Im a huge Mustang fan, Id still get the Mustang without thinking twice.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Agreed. Everything I have read and watched has the ZL in every category (except perhaps sightlines), but my heart is still with the Mustang. To me the Mustang has more character and represents imperfect hooliganism/smiles on your face. Kinda like the Evo vs STi; the Evo is the faster car but to me the STi has more soul. (And it's a turbo, 6-spd, awd hatchback!   ;D)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Agreed. Everything I have read and watched has the ZL in every category (except perhaps sightlines), but my heart is still with the Mustang. To me the Mustang has more character and represents imperfect hooliganism/smiles on your face. Kinda like the Evo vs STi; the Evo is the faster car but to me the STi has more soul. (And it's a turbo, 6-spd, awd hatchback!   ;D)

I think the 2013 Mustang is the best looking mustang since the 68-69 fastback, ala Bullitt, and yeah, it might not handle as well, but a GT in grabber blue makes me tingle in all the right places. As for the STi/Evo battle.....Im a hardline Evo guy  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:51:36 pm »
The Camaro is a performance demon, but the Gen-I retro looks haven't grown on me.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Looking at one in the showroom, there's all kind of cool details, but honestly, I think GM missed a great opportunity to create a modern car that still plays homage to the pony cars of decades ago.  Ford has done a much better job of channeling the spirit of Mustang-past in a contemporary car.

My sentiments as well.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 12:30:17 am »

I should clarify that I was speaking about a Boss vs SS.  I can't remember but it was an article from a a year or two ago that showed this.