Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta 1.0-litre EcoBoost  (Read 9130 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta 1.0-litre EcoBoost
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:32:07 am »

At the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, Ford introduced the next generation of its popular Fiesta.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: First Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta 1.0-litre EcoBoost
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:14 am »
So....this is one of the Ecoboosts that doesn't catch on fire?  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:36:12 am »
"popular Fiesta?" I honestly don't remember the last time I've seen one on the road. Either I'm just noticing them, or there's not many around here in Ottawa.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:08:33 am »
"popular Fiesta?" I honestly don't remember the last time I've seen one on the road. Either I'm just noticing them, or there's not many around here in Ottawa.

They were not popular here but in places like the U.K., they were all the rage. Go figure  :think:
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:03 am »

It is 3rd in sub-compact sales in Canada behind the Accent and Rio.  The Fiesta outsells the Yaris, Mazda2 and Sonic and basically ties the Versa.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:16 am »

It is 3rd in sub-compact sales in Canada behind the Accent and Rio.  The Fiesta outsells the Yaris, Mazda2 and Sonic and basically ties the Versa.

Interesting. I guess I just don't notice them.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:15:33 am »
I see them all the time.

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:16:53 am »
seems that the honda civic si finally has a contender
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:09 am »
It will be interesting to hear how much the flat torque curve (torque line maybe) improves drivability. I don't understand what the offset crank does (it's not a first I think) but suppose it might reduce side loading on the cylinder walls on the firing stroke. Which would presumably add more force to the thrust vector and reduce cylinder wear from what it might be. Anyway it seems to work but wonder what the free reving note means. I suppose that turbos are the big deal these days. Look forward to a full test report of this latter day Morris Minor capacity (hmmm..18sec zero to 60 mph. for the Minor.) Ah well..gave you time to eat your bacon and tomato sandwich on the way to work.
Much improved accel with this vehicle no doubt.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:47 am »
There are two typical European directions designing and building a car: small (car) and very well equiped and small (engine) and very efficient. But if the highway efficiency is just 5.9 l/100 kms, which on paper sounds to me similar as bigger Elantra for example, the overall efficiency/size of the car is questionable...Especially if the three banger is 1000$ more plus premium fuel I'm guessing  this Eurospec cars use.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:20 am »
seems that the honda civic si finally has a contender

Is that sarcasm?  Because the Fiesta is a sub-compact, like the Honda Fit.  The Civic Si would compete with the Focus ST, the GTI, and the Mazdaspeed3

I can't think of a competitor for the Fiesta ST, but its not the Civic.  I guess it will be the first one with that kind of HP for a sub compact (well in North America anyway)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:21:36 am »

As I get older and fatter
  I need a 3 Hairy POT'er
  to be comfy,it oughta
  and LOTUS in thought'a
  Then i'd ignore the ignorant chatter............. :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:05 am »
I'm not really seeing the point of the 1.0 litre ecoboost in this car.  You'd have to drive it like a little old lady to keep it out of the boost enough to beat the mileage of the 1.6 L engine.

Extra complexity for no real advantage. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 05:21:04 am »
The advantage is that you'd have the quickest Fiesta around and I'm sure it could be made quicker if someone offers a "chip" for it...whereas adding power to a normally aspirated engine can get expensive very quickly.  Hot hatches are major fun.

Fuel economy is not everything for many people.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:56 am »
Yeah, we drive a Caravan and I think that we will have to buy gas in the new year for sure. Low speed torque might load the mechanical engine components more though. I thought that I read somewhere about an electrical supercharger addition to all of this that increases HP and torque.
I suppose you can go the simpler route with the 1.6 L. There is merrit in keeping it simple.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:53:46 am by Rupert »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-764
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:51 am »
The advantage is that you'd have the quickest Fiesta around and I'm sure it could be made quicker if someone offers a "chip" for it...whereas adding power to a normally aspirated engine can get expensive very quickly.  Hot hatches are major fun.

The quickest Fiesta will be the ST.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:33:06 am »
While I'm unlikely to be ever interested in a car this small (I prefer compact over sub-compact) this is definitely an interesting addition to the Canadian market.  I was particularly surprised at the torque rating having expected to see a number much lower than what was reported.  That will go a long way to meeting North American driving preferences of low revs with decent power.  I do wonder, however, if there will be a big uptake since a lot of people will be value conscious regarding price and may not be as concerned with the savings over the long term.

I can't also help but wonder if the car market is becoming as polarized as our politics with people in camps where there is little overlap.  On one side there are the people who look for a decent sized car with the utility they need and good fuel economy.  On the other side are the people who are concerned about the volume of air they can haul in the vestigial box of their full-size truck.  Yes, I know there is a healthy middle ground still, but both ends of the spectrum seem to be growing in size and growing further apart.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 10:37:27 am »
the volume per dollar "AIR CARRIERS" will always be with us like the POOR.....choice makers 8) ;)

I'm thinking of Tesla S performance and economy in a soccer mom mobile  with the looks of Viper V12..............not much to ask CORD on my next (the 23rd) visit........ ;D :think: :stick: >:D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:05:01 pm »
I think this is an interesting option, but i'm with the doubters... the 1L might negate its true value in day to day driving when the turbo is spooling up constantly.

cool little car. i'll be interested to see what the 1L gets rated at with the canadian testing to keep comparing apples to apples...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »
I had a Fiesta rental for a week and it really liked it, mostly anyway. The car had a nice interior and drove very well. The ride and handling compromise was spot on for a small car. Fit and finish were great and the car had good visibility.

The 1.6 litre four banger is rough and loud and the twin clutch transmission often had a mind all of its own. Were I to buy a Fiesta, it would certainly be a manual. The money saved by not getting the twin clutch auto could go towards the Ecoboost.

Thus, both problems I experienced in the Fiesta would be gone in one swoop. Great that we get to have more than one engine choice.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.