Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Prius PHV Plug-in Hybrid  (Read 15617 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Prius PHV Plug-in Hybrid
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:04:14 am »

Plug-in hybrids like the Prius PHV are the next step in hybrid technology, says Paul Williams.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Prius PHV Plug-in Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:27:26 am »
Prius PHV Plug-in Hybrid version that can only do 20Km on the battery vrs the Prius reg Hybrid. The price difference is hardly justifiable. Is this the best Toyota could do or agreed to do ?
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:07:59 am »
Prius PHV Plug-in Hybrid version that can only do 20Km on the battery vrs the Prius reg Hybrid. The price difference is hardly justifiable. Is this the best Toyota could do or agreed to do ?

The price difference is perfectly justifiable given it's only $850 (after rebate).
I have a feeling that within 5 years from now, I will have some variation of a Toyota PHV in my garage.
At $30k, it's close to a perfect commuter car.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:56:34 am »

The price difference is perfectly justifiable given it's only $850 (after rebate).
I have a feeling that within 5 years from now, I will have some variation of a Toyota PHV in my garage.

Ummm....for $30K you can do a hell of a lot better than a Prius, for a hell of a lot less money you can get a commuter car that gets fantastic mileage. I drive about 65k round trip to work everyday, Id take a Rio/Forte5/Focus.........these are all cheaper, get very good mileage and for me, I dont like the looks of the Prius.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:42:40 pm »
The idea of the larger battery isn't just to allow all electric operation but to allow electric operation more often, under a wider range of circumstances.

This will be a hypermiler's dream - longer glides, higher speed ev and longer city traffic ranges.  Add "much" to each of the above.

A great package and given the rebate, a killer deal.

in terms of enjoyment, luxury is low noise and the Prius will feel pretty luxurious most of the time.

I'm looking forward to some long term mileage reports.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »
I hate these "rebates" for green cars that comes from the taxpayers pocket. Without the rebate this car is no deal for sure. Ugly and uninspiring to drive.
Bombastic

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Prius PHV Plug-in Hybrid
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:15 pm »
No rebates in Alberta. I am surprised low consumption vehicles don't have extra tax here...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:34:20 pm »
Without the rebate, this car is a bad buy.  Period.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 02:48:47 pm »
No rebates in Alberta. I am surprised low consumption vehicles don't have extra tax here...

Yeah, if you cant put stacks, a lift kit and 40" mud tires on it its not a real car!!! Fackin hippies  ;) :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 03:17:39 pm »
I hate these "rebates" for green cars that comes from the taxpayers pocket. Without the rebate this car is no deal for sure. Ugly and uninspiring to drive.
agreed...i think it is failed policy, to force everyone to pay for discounts on a car whose buyers can afford already...taxpayer dollars should fund education, health care and services, not rich yuppies buying hybrids.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »
agreed...i think it is failed policy, to force everyone to pay for discounts on a car whose buyers can afford already...taxpayer dollars should fund education, health care and services, not rich yuppies buying hybrids.

You get screwed on some things and not others.  I don't have kids...so a bunch of my tax dollars/rebates get pissed away for something I get no return on or get to cash in on...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:34 pm »

The only Prius that makes any dollar sense to me is the Prius-C. Otherwise there are to many decent mileage vehicles out there that look and drive a hell of a lot better than a Prius in any format. My version of a perfect commuter car definitely varies from yours. I doubt that I would happy with such a mundane driving and looking car, even considering commuting from point A to B. As I can not afford to have a seasonal car, the commuter car is where I would be placing all my car money in and would like to appeal a little to my fun side. Mon-Fri can get a bit boring a little fun commute would be welcomed.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:33 pm »
"I don't have kids...so a bunch of my tax dollars/rebates get pissed away for something I get no return on or get to cash in on..."

Those kids will be paying for your retirement and who paid for your schooling anyway?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:44:00 pm »
"I don't have kids...so a bunch of my tax dollars/rebates get pissed away for something I get no return on or get to cash in on..."

Those kids will be paying for your retirement
and who paid for your schooling anyway?

Cheers,
John M.
Sure they will..... ::)  Unless I plan on getting some of them to contribute to my RRSPs..... ::)

Not holding out much hope for CPP even being viable when I'm old enough to retire...

Offline Alex MacLean

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:01:23 pm »
Even with the rebate (which shouldn't exist in the first place) this is far from a good buy.

If the real numbers are in the 4.8 area, there are several cars getting that on the highway with maybe an extra l/100 in the city.

Many of those cars can be had for $25000. And also consider the fact that many basic features were coupled with the $5000 package. Sure that gets you auto cruise, fake leather, led lights and navigation, all things we can do without, but they went and had to sneak things like a power seat, fog lights and other basics in too, making it almost needed for most people these days. So now you hit $40,000. Oh look, you could have bought a Volt now, and get 4 times the electric range. Volt has rebates as well, so it's pretty damn even.

So say you buy a loaded up Mazda 3 Skyactive for around $23,000. Sure it might take 15-20% more fuel, but how long is it going to take to come anywhere near recouping the $12,000 price gap?
If this car were sold at about $28,000 it would be an attractive option, but at $35,000 not a chance. They will still sell a bunch, but nobody said you had to be smart to buy a car....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »
Even with the rebate (which shouldn't exist in the first place) this is far from a good buy.

If the real numbers are in the 4.8 area, there are several cars getting that on the highway with maybe an extra l/100 in the city.

Many of those cars can be had for $25000. And also consider the fact that many basic features were coupled with the $5000 package. Sure that gets you auto cruise, fake leather, led lights and navigation, all things we can do without, but they went and had to sneak things like a power seat, fog lights and other basics in too, making it almost needed for most people these days. So now you hit $40,000. Oh look, you could have bought a Volt now, and get 4 times the electric range. Volt has rebates as well, so it's pretty damn even.

So say you buy a loaded up Mazda 3 Skyactive for around $23,000. Sure it might take 15-20% more fuel, but how long is it going to take to come anywhere near recouping the $12,000 price gap?
If this car were sold at about $28,000 it would be an attractive option, but at $35,000 not a chance. They will still sell a bunch, but nobody said you had to be smart to buy a car....

In Ontario, it's only $850 more than a "normal" Prius.  So in that regard it's a decent buy and only $7,000 more than a Mazda3...which gets nowhere near the mileage of a Prius...EVER.  FWIW in combined economy, the SkyActiv is ~40% worse and in the city almost 50% worse!!  :o

Don't like the plug in?  Get a Prius C for $4,000 CHEAPER than a Mazda 3 and gets way, way way better gas mileage....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 07:21:02 pm »

It is a much large car then a Mazda 3
Ask all the cabbies what car then want to work with

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 12:37:40 am »
As usual when any car like this is discussed, people jawbone about how a few thousand dollars one way or the other determines whether purchasing this car makes sense.

Silly option packages commonly cost that much or more, and pass without similar criticism.  As do performance, luxury or image cars costing many tens of thousands more.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 09:42:48 am »
Though this idiotic rant has been addressed already, I'll still respond for lack of better things to do at the moment.

Strictly your personal opinion. I believe it's a great buy, and when I am buying MY car, guess whose opinion will matter?
Many people have voted for the Prious with their hard earned money.

Examples please? None? I thought so.

Good for you you can live without a cruise control, I can't, so it's an essential option for me. I happen to LOVE fake leather for its durability and ease of maintenance. I certainly couldn't care less about the fog lights or power seats - where I drive fog is not an issue, and I only adjust my seats once, so don't speak for MOST people. Your opinion is very important to you, but MOST people wouldn't give a rat's ass.

Wouldn't even consider a loaded Skyactive. New unproven technology sitting in a rust bucket with much poorer fuel economy - no thanks.

You can argue ad nauseum but ultimately market decides... Cabbies cast their vote and that, to me, is a strong indicator for a good quality car.

I paid $27,500 for an LE Camry V6 in 2002. $30,000 (about the same Present Worth as 2002 Camry) for the PHV Prius is a bargain in comparison.

NHV is an important measure for a luxury car. Can't get much better when the gas engine is not running at 100km/h with good quiet tires. That's what's important to me.
You seriously want a good handling car lugging in traffic at 38km/h average speed? No need to answer. I know what 17 year-olds think :)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 10:58:06 am »

I disagree.  We don't get a (taxpayer funded) rebate and a Prius starts at $25K, not $30K.  The PHV is a $10,000 option.