Author Topic: rotors: when to machine vs. replace  (Read 10191 times)

Offline 55inthe54

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Infiniti
rotors: when to machine vs. replace
« on: May 28, 2016, 06:46:13 pm »
Hey all,

About to bring my car in to get the rear pads replaced, and although I've Googled this to death, wanted some thoughts from the forum on when to machine vs. replace the rotors (or even leave them as is).

Here's what I've found:

1) leave them as is: ok as long as grooving is minimal, more than minimum thickness is still there, and no vibrations, pulsing, or noise from brakes. Then, make sure to properly bed new pads.

2) machine: ok as long as minimum thickness is still there after machining

3) replace: do this to ensure proper mating b/w pads and rotors

The rotors are expensive for my car at $250 for the pair so I want to ensure it's absolutely necessary at this point - see pics below. The rotors have never been replaced but this is the 2nd time the rear pads have been replaced. First time was at 30k km, car is now at 75k km.

Thank you!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: rotors: when to machine vs. replace
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:54:15 pm »
Based on what I'm seeing in your second pic, at full resolution, I'd definitely replace the rotors first. Did you look at rockauto? $250 seems steep.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:04:58 pm »
That doesnt look too bad, and its vented discs so i would think the rotor would last longer than 70k or so.

Looks like pad surface area is small thats why the rear brakes wear so quickly, but if the unworn part of the rotor isnt too deep, it should be fine.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:57:51 pm »
They are cracked, maybe this is why they are wearing your pads so quickly.

What car?

Mr Pickypants

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 10:02:26 pm »
Rotors are so cheap now,  just replace with white  box

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 10:22:27 pm »

What car?

Holy crap, you r right.  That is a crack!.  I though that was pad gunk left on rotor after it sits for a while....

I take back what i said. Replace.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:16:09 pm »
why do they make crap ROTORS.....to save  WAIT a minute???..no to replace them every brake change :P :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :light: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :stfu:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:40:36 pm »
   Does anyone machine these any more...probably cheaper to go new and quicker. The inner rotor surfaces fare the worst in my experience...especially on the rear brakes. Why, I don't know. It means getting down and dirty to check though and there is a plate in the way. Also service the slide pins with grease....very important.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »
Does anyone machine these any more...probably cheaper to go new and quicker

Time to move on from the 20th Century Rupert. ;)    Rotors are machined right on the vehicle these days.

http://www.procutusa.com/

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 07:53:49 am »
   It's not worth the trouble and can't imagine the set-up for that...maybe you could give a photo ref. Also can't imagine the benefit resulting from such an operation. Suppose you do that and find that the rust patches have not been machined out when at min. thickness. Now...machining drums on rear brakes is a different matter and... again in my experience...will carry you to trade-in. Often with the same shoes.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:57 am »
90% of the time I replace. Why mess around? Plus, to get them machined I'd have to drive around, find a shop, wait for them to do it, etc. New rotors, just slap them on and go.
The other 10% of the time I would be reusing the current rotor, and that's normally because I am not happy with the pads and replace them long before they've worn out, or grooved the rotor.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 08:31:12 am »
so u all agree today's Rotors are Rooters...and made of used tableware ??? :stick: :light: ..

I see Ramic ;)  in my carbon future :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:33:03 am by safristi »

Offline 55inthe54

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Infiniti
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 09:48:58 am »
Thanks for the replies, all. It's an Infiniti FX35.

Are you sure they're cracked? I was also thinking it could be pad transfer cause of the blue/grey discoloration immediately beside what looks like the cracks.

Here are some higher res photos:
- http://i.imgur.com/MrANbJV.jpg
- http://i.imgur.com/cmsMwRG.jpg

What car?

Holy crap, you r right.  That is a crack!.  I though that was pad gunk left on rotor after it sits for a while....

I take back what i said. Replace.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 10:38:58 am »
Thats cracked, time to upgrade

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:01 pm »
   It's not worth the trouble and can't imagine the set-up for that...maybe you could give a photo ref. Also can't imagine the benefit resulting from such an operation. Suppose you do that and find that the rust patches have not been machined out when at min. thickness. Now...machining drums on rear brakes is a different matter and... again in my experience...will carry you to trade-in. Often with the same shoes.

ProCut has been one of those grand slams that come along once in a blue moon to new car dealers.  Customer call backs for vibration after brake pad replacement is virtually nil.  Pay back is fantastic. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 06:24:00 am »
How does the equipment work? and why does it work.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 08:53:17 pm »
The lathe is bolted right to hub. Runout in the hub and rotor are then taken into account and the rotor can be cut true as one rotating mass with hub. Works great and is a very quick way to machine the rotors. For some manufactures, an on-car brake lathe is required equipment.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 08:58:48 pm »
The lathe is bolted right to hub. Runout in the hub and rotor are then taken into account and the rotor can be cut true as one rotating mass with hub. Works great and is a very quick way to machine the rotors. For some manufactures, an on-car brake lathe is required equipment.

Dare I even ask how much the charge is to have the rotors machined this way?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 10:59:36 pm »

I can't say for others, but we charge the same as the off car machining.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 11:04:02 pm »

I can't say for others, but we charge the same as the off car machining.

Which is how much?