Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe  (Read 29744 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2012, 10:54:45 am »
The old 2.0L and the new 2.0L engine are almost exactly the same except the upgraded turbo and intercooler.  It was built in partnership with Chrysler and Mitsubishi and I'm sure this engine will be heavily used over the next 10 years, probably with GDI added.
again, almost exactly the same in terms of displacement...while the engine is the same size, i am pretty sure it shares very little with its GEMA roots...Hyundai doesn't use any GEMA engines any longer as Chrysler took control of that plant and uses it themselves now...Hyundai has chosen to invest into R&D and is doing more of their own production now...the new transmissions and engines are part of that investment.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:28 am »
The old 2.0L and the new 2.0L engine are almost exactly the same except the upgraded turbo and intercooler.  It was built in partnership with Chrysler and Mitsubishi and I'm sure this engine will be heavily used over the next 10 years, probably with GDI added.
again, almost exactly the same in terms of displacement...while the engine is the same size, i am pretty sure it shares very little with its GEMA roots...Hyundai doesn't use any GEMA engines any longer as Chrysler took control of that plant and uses it themselves now...Hyundai has chosen to invest into R&D and is doing more of their own production now...the new transmissions and engines are part of that investment.

The Theta engine was conceived from GEMA and the Theta II used in the Sonata/Genesis Coupe is an evolution of that engine.  So you are both technically right.  Hyundai I believe always sourced their Theta engines from their own plants (currently in Alabama I believe)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:04:07 am by Mike »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2012, 03:52:21 pm »
IMO, two different markets.  By a 2 to 1 margin Genesis coupes go out the door in automatic (engine choice is a matter of "economy").  That's an indicator about the buyer. 

Consequently, it's closer to the Mustang V6.

Miata is in a class all it's own.   ;D   
ONLY 2 to 1 for automatics?   That seems low when the normal takeup for autos in NA is near to 9 to 1.
I would have thought that the Genesis coupe would have at least  5 or 6 to 1 for auto.

I rounded it down.  It's approx. 2.5:1    Personally I thought it would be closer to the 370Z which is essentially 1:1 with a slight trend towards the autos.

Similar to the last version of the Tiburon, it turned out that women were more attracted to this car than men so the automatic reigns supreme.  My wife likes this car.  Every time she see's one she asks me "what's that".  Very irritating.  ;D   She likes the light green.   :o

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2012, 04:24:53 pm »
Interesting thoughts.

You can build a 2013 Gen Coupe on Hyundai Canada's site now.

http://hyundaicanada.com/Pages/BuildPrice/step2_trims.aspx?Model=Genesis%20Coupe

Make sure you select the model year on the right.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »
What's with the colour choice  ???    Definitely a vehicle that you would want to pull out of the States in a year used despite the 6% tariff.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »
Interesting thoughts.

You can build a 2013 Gen Coupe on Hyundai Canada's site now.

http://hyundaicanada.com/Pages/BuildPrice/step2_trims.aspx?Model=Genesis%20Coupe

Make sure you select the model year on the right.

Wow, they launch their 2013's with 2.9% financing /60 mo.? That's surprising - I know Toyota is about 5%, so is VW. This is kinda off-topic but are VW/Toyota actually making money on that interest rate, or is Hyundai discounting their finance rates on introductory models? I know you can get 2012 Kias for like 0%/72 now, but I'm surprised at that rate for the 2013 GC.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2012, 08:48:12 pm »
Hyundai/Kia have employed the "%" financing strategy from the beginning.  It's effective in moving the metal.  How they integrate/manage that strategy into their profit structure would be interesting to read about.  Does Korean production subsidize US production?

Toyota Canada is a distributor.  They operate different than the US company and call their own shots so you see a completely different financing strategy from that of the US.  Captive financing is part of their profit structure.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2012, 09:50:53 am »
Hyundai/Kia have employed the "%" financing strategy from the beginning.  It's effective in moving the metal.  How they integrate/manage that strategy into their profit structure would be interesting to read about.  Does Korean production subsidize US production?

Toyota Canada is a distributor.  They operate different than the US company and call their own shots so you see a completely different financing strategy from that of the US.  Captive financing is part of their profit structure.
yea, i have found that Hyundai/Kia focus more on pricing their cars properly from the get go, and offering decent finance rates...other brands seem to use things like "Family Pricing" and other marketing gimmicks where they lower the prices of their vehicles to where they really should have been priced in the first place in order to move them...of course, they often ding you with a high interest rate when there is cash on the hood too.

Kia/Hyundai seem to better understand "value", not only in terms of equipment offered, but in terms of pricing and finance rates.

Offline MTD

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16:14 am »
Bumping this thread to anyone interested. I recently took delivery of my 13 3.8 V6 6mt GT. Car is awesome so far. Zero complaints.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2012, 07:03:10 am »
^ holy siiit. That's awesome.

Make sure you post in show and shine thread!!

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D