Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS  (Read 32374 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:31:25 am »

This review may shatter your preconceived notions of German sport sedan supremacy.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:28:11 am »
I like to think I have an open mind on most things but I'd still have a hard time buying a Cadillac if I were in this market.

Some memories die hard and I remember the massive parade floats that used to carry the Cadillac badge and the mentality of the people who drove them.

My most striking memory of all the car shows I've been to is of sitting in a Cimmaron  which at $50K plus was more expensive than the BMW 5 series directly across the aisle.  This gold plated piece of crap was more than a rip-off, it was bordering on fraud and illustrated the willingness of GM management to rape its loyal and hapless customers.

You don't see many full sized Cadillacs around any more - maybe the jokes about their owner demographics being between 60 and dead were right.   But yesterday in the parking lot of a supermarket, I saw a full sized Cadillac being driven into and out of the same parking space.  The driver was pulling out and then going back in.  He did this 5 or 6 times while I was watching, perhaps to line the car up better but it looked as though he was a malfunctioning robot.  This was still going on when I left.  The driver was in his eighties and in retrospect I should have asked if he was having some kind of medical emergency.

I could buy a Ford or most types of GM but Cadillac still has a stigma of unacceptable corporate behavior which would take several great cars sold at great prices to wash away.  Maybe the ATS is a fresh rain in this regard but, for now, it would not be enough.

Cheers,
John M.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:31:47 am by JohnM »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:59:08 am »
Most of the regulars here know my history with Cadillac. I certainly wanted to believe that they were building different cars when I bought one in 2007 and other than the horrific reliability issues I liked my SRX very much. Given my experience I'd want to wait and see if these cars are standing up at 2/3/4 years old or if they are beginning to fall apart as all the short life,lowest bidder supplied parts begin to fail.

As to the car itself it certainly sounds like they nailed it in terms of driving dynamics but I find the interior a little too flashy or blingy for my tastes. I haven't seen one in the flesh but it sounds like you might still be able to see the Chevy peeking out from under the luxo interior appointments.  :-\
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:00:17 am »
Awesome work from GM. It's too bad the close minded people with preconceived notions of old GM cars, and the german car slappies won't give it a chance.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:05:32 am »
Awesome work from GM. It's too bad the close minded people with preconceived notions of old GM cars, and the german car slappies won't give it a chance.

Once burned twice shy as the old saying goes and 2007 wasn't that long ago. I'm like the man from Missouri now when it comes to Cadillac (show me)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:08:20 am »

Once burned twice shy as the old saying goes and 2007 wasn't that long ago. I'm like the man from Missouri now when it comes to Cadillac (show me)

..and Mercedes ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:39:10 am »
Good looking and great handling Caddy...well well...and it aint a CTS_V model. where did they lose the space in the back seat? (by too closely copying the B 3 models.. ;) :stick: >:D )......big mistake there IMHO..add a coupla inches rear seat and headroom and it's ACES.................gotta try on...don't think i'll buy one  (new cars and all that issue.depreciation,delivery fees and fees out the wazoo too)......

Maybe a two year old model when i wanna step down :D from my Ranger :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:22 am »

In rereading your posts I think I should make two points

1. My notions of GM cars ( Cadillac at least) are not "preconceived"...they come from recent ownership experience.

2. Read some of my posts. I may own 2 of them but I hardly think I qualify as a "German car slappy"

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:11 am »

In rereading your posts I think I should make two points

1. My notions of GM cars ( Cadillac at least) are not "preconceived"...they come from recent ownership experience.

2. Read some of my posts. I may own 2 of them but I hardly think I qualify as a "German car slappy"

I have read your posts and find you to be quite fair and impartial and would by no means refer to you as any kind of slappy. I on the other hand might be possibly refered to as a GM slappy and people might be partially correct.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:00:04 am »
I like to think I have an open mind on most things but I'd still have a hard time buying a Cadillac if I were in this market.

Some memories die hard and I remember the massive parade floats that used to carry the Cadillac badge and the mentality of the people who drove them.

My most striking memory of all the car shows I've been to is of sitting in a Cimmaron  which at $50K plus was more expensive than the BMW 5 series directly across the aisle.  This gold plated piece of crap was more than a rip-off, it was bordering on fraud and illustrated the willingness of GM management to rape its loyal and hapless customers.

You don't see many full sized Cadillacs around any more - maybe the jokes about their owner demographics being between 60 and dead were right.   But yesterday in the parking lot of a supermarket, I saw a full sized Cadillac being driven into and out of the same parking space.  The driver was pulling out and then going back in.  He did this 5 or 6 times while I was watching, perhaps to line the car up better but it looked as though he was a malfunctioning robot.  This was still going on when I left.  The driver was in his eighties and in retrospect I should have asked if he was having some kind of medical emergency.

I could buy a Ford or most types of GM but Cadillac still has a stigma of unacceptable corporate behavior which would take several great cars sold at great prices to wash away.  Maybe the ATS is a fresh rain in this regard but, for now, it would not be enough.

Cheers,
John M.

The Cimmaron cost no where close to $50K. It cost a fraction of what a BMW 5 series did. So much for that story.

Nice to see you had an opportunity to share stories from the early 80's, when the average ATS buyer didn't even have their drivers license.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:06:09 am »
Great article, Mike.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 09:08:18 am »

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:10:44 am »

Cheers,
John M.

Cimmaron  which at $50K

When was that?  I doubt very much a Cimmaron was that kind of money in the day!! Somewhere around 25k +++ maybe.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:12:19 am »
US list for the Cimarron was ~$12k in 1982, about $30k in today's dollars.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:23:29 am »
US list for the Cimarron was ~$12k in 1982, about $30k in today's dollars.

Yep!  Would be better to proof a post before posting;)

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:16 am »
Cadillac in last few decades became real competitor to Euro big three in terms customer dissatisfaction and high operational & maintenance costs. But it went behind in overall driving fun. The sales were suffering and this is the ultimate consumer reward for the manufacturer.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 10:02:56 am »
Most of the regulars here know my history with Cadillac. I certainly wanted to believe that they were building different cars when I bought one in 2007 and other than the horrific reliability issues I liked my SRX very much. Given my experience I'd want to wait and see if these cars are standing up at 2/3/4 years old or if they are beginning to fall apart as all the short life,lowest bidder supplied parts begin to fail.

As to the car itself it certainly sounds like they nailed it in terms of driving dynamics but I find the interior a little too flashy or blingy for my tastes. I haven't seen one in the flesh but it sounds like you might still be able to see the Chevy peeking out from under the luxo interior appointments.  :-\
Well said Sailor, I too owned a disappointing 07' SRX.
GM has been doing a good job recently building "hot rod" Caddys, but IMO they are not in the same league as the German brands.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 10:27:52 am »
Kev..sorry to hear yer being charged the "huge package" extra big option........... ;D

I "feel" yer pain............. :pimp: :run:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 10:31:53 am »
"The only argument I can see is that it's going to be hard for me to put my 50K on the Caddy when there's also a Benz and BMW in the running....but that's a brand issue not a car issue. "

I think the dealership sales/service dept experience will also come into play for some buyers. Unlike the US, I believe most Canadian Caddy dealers are "Chev/Cadillac". I don't know about the rest of the country but here in NB the experience dealing with  the local Caddy dealer's sales or service dept is a significant step below BMW/MB/Lexus etc etc

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 10:32:01 am »
This review may shatter your preconceived notions of German sport sedan supremacy.
Read More...

I hardly qualify as a German slappie since my current 3-series is my first FGC and I have mixed feelings about it. My next car may as well be an Avalon hybrid or an ES so I have no affinity to any specific brand.
What I do care about though is the overall package looking at it from an owner's perspective.

So the Caddy came up with a great (maybe even best) handling machine for the driver and a single passenger. Kewl!!!
Will many peolpe short of lottery winners spend $60k on a track car that would double as a daily driver? Doubt it.

And what about looking beyond its handling capabilities?
The interior quality is subpar, the passenger comfort is subpar, reliability is unknown and is likely to translate to BIG $$$$ and major headache shortly after purchasing. And on and on and on.

Looks like a niche car, like you Mike said, for a couple of professionals with no kids who are willing to take the risk and be the case study material for GM.

Again, not a German slappie, and at $54k there is a ton of options out there that will provide better overall ownership experience with 90%+ handling capability (that stretch far beyond any sane driving on public roads) from a number of established brands.

GM engineers came up with the most capable chassis out there but the then the corporate bean counters cut it short everywhere else. No thanks. It already screams for major cash on the hood to move it in any significant quantities.

The lower trim levels will sell much better but are no better than the competition in handling without magnetic ride and such.