Author Topic: IIHS's small overlap test - still think it's useless?  (Read 7956 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: IIHS's small overlap test - still think it's useless?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:16:17 pm »
Thats a lot of damage for "50km/h".....also.....why did the driver cross the center line??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:24:04 pm »
I'm guessing it was more than 50kph and the overlap test made zero difference in this example. Hitting a bus with something much smaller you just lose.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:43:59 pm »
That's a shame. Assuming both vehicles were traveling at the time, the combined speed would be more like 100-120 km/h if one is comparing to a crash test. I typically balk at the small overlap test, but this does seem to be a collision where better front corner reinforcement may have made a difference in the chance of survival.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »
That's a shame. Assuming both vehicles were traveling at the time, the combined speed would be more like 100-120 km/h if one is comparing to a crash test. I typically balk at the small overlap test, but this does seem to be a collision where better front corner reinforcement may have made a difference in the chance of survival.

Actually Mythbusters debunked that theory, the speed of a vehicle in a head one do not add together.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:53:29 pm »
driver of the f150 deserved his or her fate, and yeah, i think small overlap test is useless. 

trucks don't adhere to the same crash standard either, anyway.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »
Thats a lot of damage for "50km/h".....also.....why did the driver cross the center line??
I didn't say that either vehicle was travelling at the limit - only that's what the limit is.  The area of impact is pretty near the bottom of a shallow-ish valley, so both would have travelled downhill before the impact.  The Viva buses, however, are frequently known to drive at the speed limit and not a km/h above it.

I suspect the truck was travelling far faster, however.

There is a centre turn lane, which makes it odd that the bus would have been anywhere near it (though could explain what the truck was doing - passing in the centre turn lane).

I typically balk at the small overlap test, but this does seem to be a collision where better front corner reinforcement may have made a difference in the chance of survival.
That's my point - and to aqua's, I'm not even referring to the standard - but small overlaps do happen and with some pretty gruesome outcomes.

I agree that almost anything vs bus will lose to the bus, but this wasn't a Mitsu Mirage we're talking about here, but an F-150.  Not such a small beast.  The structure completely collapsed.

IIHS did not do the small overlap for it, but otherwise found the F-150 Crew Cab to be a safe truck.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:22:35 pm »
  ^^^
^^^^
Isn't a good sign if the structure minus the passenger cab get's destroyed ? Does this not mean that the structure absorbed the force of the crash as opposed to the occupants ?
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 01:38:43 pm »
This may be once instance where the small overlap occurs but when I still think the test is unnecessary. It simply is a relatively small subset of collisions that does not occur that frequently. Plus, I don't think the test involves running into a transit bus....
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:51 pm »
If you want scary....Watch this older video.

2001 F150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-JjIRWOBU

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:54:42 pm »
Was the driver wearing their belt?

What was the speed of the F150? 

Interesting photo, but fairly pointless.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 01:58:14 pm »
Isn't a good sign if the structure minus the passenger cab get's destroyed ? Does this not mean that the structure absorbed the force of the crash as opposed to the occupants ?
You want the front end to crumple and absorb the impact.  If the structure fails, as it did here, then the occupants are not protected due to the space being compromised.

Plus, I don't think the test involves running into a transit bus....
No.  The overlap has the vehicle hitting a pole (unmovable by the force of the impact).  Cannot be worse than the bus's mass.

...and the overlap tests occur at 40mph (65km/h). 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 08:20:04 pm »
I don't think any crash tests are meaningless.  However, I also tend to not base a lot of my buying decision on them.  Otherwise, there'd be no way I'd drive my old Miata or ride motorcycles.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:31 pm »

Actually Mythbusters debunked that theory, the speed of a vehicle in a head one do not add together.

Yep high school physics. Energy mv^2/2. Also on a related point and quite intuitively you're better to crash into a stationary bus going at 120km/h than be stationary and have a bus going 120km/h crash into you as well.

However momentum, which determines who gets knocked out on their ass, is linearly proportional to mass x velocity.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »

Yep high school physics. Energy mv^2/2. Also on a related point and quite intuitively you're better to crash into a stationary bus going at 120km/h than be stationary and have a bus going 120km/h crash into you as well.

However momentum, which determines who gets knocked out on their ass, is linearly proportional to mass x velocity.

Yep. This is why a large car (LS430) with a Top Safety rating will "win" every time vs a small car (Mazda3) with a Top Safety + rating.  Mass wins.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:49 pm »
Also on a related point and quite intuitively you're better to crash into a stationary bus going at 120km/h than be stationary and have a bus going 120km/h crash into you as well.

Good to know  ;D

Ford F-150 regular cab, SuperCab join SuperCrew with 5-star safety ratings

Automotive News
April 22, 2015 - 7:00 pm ET

DETROIT -- The redesigned Ford F-150 pickup has earned the government’s highest possible crash safety rating, answering worries that the truck’s all-new aluminum body would compromise crashworthiness.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave its top overall rating -- five stars -- to the SuperCab configuration, which represents roughly 25 percent of F-150 sales, Ford Motor Co. said late Wednesday. The regular cab version of the F-150, which accounts for five percent of F-150 volume, also was rated at five stars overall, according to NHTSA’s website.

Last week, the 2015 F-150 SuperCrew received an overall five-star rating, in both the two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive configurations. That’s up from the 2014 truck’s ratings of four stars overall.

The SuperCrew, SuperCab and regular cab versions of the 2015 pickup each received five stars for frontal-crash and side-crash safety, and four stars for rollover safety.

The redesigned F-150, which weighs about 700 pounds less than the 2014 version, has 31 safety-related innovations, including an advanced occupant-restraint system and a 12-corner front crush horn, which helps dissipate energy in a frontal-impact crash.

Ford relied heavily on supercomputers early in the development process to balance weight savings, durability, fuel economy and crashworthiness. It developed digital safety models with nearly 1.4 million individual elements to see how parts throughout the truck would hold up in a crash long before conducting any physical tests.

Engineers used about three times as much adhesive as in the 2014 F-150, creating greater structural strength than with traditional welds. In testing, they said the metal pulls apart before the adhesive gives way.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 05:33:13 pm »
no crash test is useless... but like john, I am not buying based on those, especially the more uncommon accidents.

anyway, i'm confused by this one... the mass of the bus means it shouldn't have moved much after the accident... so why is it on such a huge angle toward the center of the road? it is covering all three lanes... are they certain the bus wasn't the vehicle that crossed the line? unless the truck had crossed over so far that the bus was trying to avoid the accident by veering towards the center....

anywho... tragic and all that. accidents happen though, and knee jerk reactions wont help the general population.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 06:33:20 pm »
These modern buses are rear engined so the front is relatively light.  A pickup truck proabaly weighs 2 tonnes and a report I saw suggests that it was speeding so lots of V^2
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.