Author Topic: Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup  (Read 5000 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 08:33:43 pm »
Yeah the old Infiniti scheme was much better. The G37 was a thing. So was the FX. The others can fall into line.

Now? Who knows.

Agreed.  The G has been Infiniti's staple car for more than a decade now, why change the freakin' name?  It's like Bimmer changing the 3 series name to something else.  Just doesn't make sense.  As we've seen, Lincoln and Acura have also swayed to this asinine naming convention......I just don't get it.......especially when you've built up a solid name with your product over the years.  It's baffling to me.

Acura at least had the TL and MDX as solid solid names though.

At least unti they :censor: the bed with the 4th gen TL and then have to hail mary to TLX.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:34 pm »
BMW and Mercedes have both shown signs lately of following Infiniti into the same naming abyss.

Great idea for Lincoln to resurrect the old names.

I'll admit that I don't follow MB and BMW too closely as they've really never had any cars I've aspired to own.......but I have noticed with Bimmer that even their 3 series cars seem to have sh!t ton of letters and numbers for each model.   :-\
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 09:52:43 pm »
Audi is the king of nomenclature  :)

Northernridge

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:28 pm »
BMW and Mercedes have both shown signs lately of following Infiniti into the same naming abyss.

Great idea for Lincoln to resurrect the old names.

I'll admit that I don't follow MB and BMW too closely as they've really never had any cars I've aspired to own.......but I have noticed with Bimmer that even their 3 series cars seem to have sh!t ton of letters and numbers for each model.   :-\

...and some of those 3s are 4s now. And Ms are not always Ms and AMG doesn't necessarily mean AMG either, while all CUVs are Gs and Coupes are anybody's guess.   :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:22 pm »
Volvo still has sensible conventions! Sort of.

S - sedan
V - wagon
XC - SUV or lifted wagon thing
C - something with two doors

T# - turbocharged / twincharged
D# - diesel

and in the future the # will just refer to the power level I think since they are going all 3/4cyl + hybrid. So there are T3/4/5/6/8 and whatnot. I saw a chart somewhere but can't find it again.

Admittedly Volvos lineup is so small that its rather easier to keep things in line!

edit: here, in Dutch and slightly vague. http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2010/04/13/volvos-nieuwe-motortypevermogensaanduidingstrategie
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:12:21 pm by mmret »

Offline mmmbacon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1999 SAAB 9-5
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 06:14:38 am »
they are finally doing what we knew all along. 

it was STUPID to do MKT MKS blah blah... nobody knew what they were unless they were lincoln fan!  making ugly cars probably didn't help.
They switched to the MK-whatever years ago because it was trendy and they wanted people to associate cars with the Lincoln brand and not with their own nameplate. Obviously it was a bad idea. Funny how marketing works... ::)

Either way, they could rebrand the upcoming Continental as a Ford and nobody would even notice. Quite frankly, without their rural dealerships, they would be gone by now.