Author Topic: My son wants a motorcycle  (Read 10352 times)

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
My son wants a motorcycle
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »
Son #2 has now got his learners permit after taking a motorcycle course.  He's got his eyes set on a used Honda 125 to get him through the summer upgrading to a yamaha r3 next spring.   In some ways I like the idea and he is a very responsible kid, if I let him get a bike I'm just a bit worried he might hurt himself.  Anyone out there have advice? 

Thanks

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: My son wants a motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »
If he took a course, he's likely fine. I love my 125.

Make sure he budgets for good gear as well. Helmet -- brand new for sure. Other stuff he can probably find used for a decent price.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:41:23 pm by DKaz »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:33 pm »
If he's responsible, he'll be fine. If he does some courses, he'll be even more fine.
He should also do some instructed track days if he can (not free-for-alls, ones with quality instructors) and he'll be right - those track day courses teach more than just speed, they teach riders how to have a good relationship with vision, body position and the controls.
I'm not "fast" so am useless as a tutor on a track day, but I have taught more than a few people good road sense.
This might be arrogant of me, but I'm really happy to take out new riders on casual rides and teach them some good road sense and some tricks to help be a safer rider.
If he's interested let me know. I like riding.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:53:17 pm »
If he's responsible, he'll be fine. If he does some courses, he'll be even more fine.
He should also do some instructed track days if he can (not free-for-alls, ones with quality instructors) and he'll be right - those track day courses teach more than just speed, they teach riders how to have a good relationship with vision, body position and the controls.
I'm not "fast" so am useless as a tutor on a track day, but I have taught more than a few people good road sense.
This might be arrogant of me, but I'm really happy to take out new riders on casual rides and teach them some good road sense and some tricks to help be a safer rider.
If he's interested let me know. I like riding.

Are you in newfoundland?  If so that would be great!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:00:55 pm »
Son #2 has now got his learners permit after taking a motorcycle course.  He's got his eyes set on a used Honda 125 to get him through the summer upgrading to a yamaha r3 next spring.   In some ways I like the idea and he is a very responsible kid, if I let him get a bike I'm just a bit worried he might hurt himself.  Anyone out there have advice? 

Thanks
Granddaughter started riding motorized dirty bike at 5 , he will be fine , do not worry

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:48 am »
if I let him get a bike I'm just a bit worried he might hurt himself.  Anyone out there have advice? 

***Flame suit on*** As a current motorcyclist all I can say is that training, preparation, maturity/state of mind and the proper gear et cetera will greatly reduce/eliminate the self-induced risks. They won't reduce to 0 the risks introduced by the other road users (distracted drivers, drivers who just "don't care", irresponsible drivers, inattentive drivers) or random acts of nature (weather or wildlife), and that a small mishap in an automobile has the possibility of being amplified greatly when on a motorcycle :-\ As long as the parties involved are aware of this and accept it then ride on.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:40:10 am »
Armour up! Is all I can say. Drive as if no one has seen you. On that note, bright gear (the yellow-green type) helps a lot too, at least a helmet.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:51:07 am »
Are you in newfoundland?  If so that would be great!

Bummer, I'm in TO. But like the other people here said, wear good gear, do courses, find some local guys who like to ride and like having people to ride with, ask lots of questions and remember things like this:
1. Always look way ahead. Look up. Look up. Look up.
2. Never sit in someone's blind spot.
3. Look up.
4. When stopping or stopped, watch your mirrors - bikes get rear-ended more than you think.
5. Look up.
6. Be smooth on the controls, always.
7. Assume the worst and have brake and clutch covered through all intersections - and look up.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:59:37 am »
20% of motorcycle accidents are due to other driver error. 60% is rider error.

Taking a course, being situationally aware, riding in an appropriate manner, etc. can go a long ways. Shoulder check all the time and look where you want to go are the two key pieces of advice.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 01:07:22 pm »
Bummer, I'm in TO. But like the other people here said, wear good gear, do courses, find some local guys who like to ride and like having people to ride with, ask lots of questions and remember things like this:
1. Always look way ahead. Look up. Look up. Look up.
2. Never sit in someone's blind spot.
3. Look up.
4. When stopping or stopped, watch your mirrors - bikes get rear-ended more than you think.
5. Look up.
6. Be smooth on the controls, always.
7. Assume the worst and have brake and clutch covered through all intersections - and look up.

Also good advice. Never look down. Ever. Bikes have a tendency to go where you're looking, and if you look down, you may go down. Target fixation is also a big one especially with younger drivers. It's a mental game with myself to force myself to 1. look where I want to go and 2. not be fixated on an object especially if it's not where I want to go.

On that last point however, my instructors didn't want us covering our brake and clutch levers though.

Also, use that rear brake sparingly. I crashed twice on my scooter and both times were due to a liberal use of rear brakes on wet roads. It is difficult to lock up the front tire on smaller bikes that have smaller single disc brakes, but rear brakes can lock up so fast even with lowly drum brakes as weight transfers forward. I did not have proper gear the first crash and my knees stung like no tomorrow. Second crash with proper gear, I shook it off and got my scooter up like nothing happened.

Hm. Why are we giving riding advice to the father of the child he doesn't want riding? lol.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:55 pm »
Everything posted above is very well said and great advice!!  Only thing I'd suggest is a good naked bike to start on, something with no fairings to damage when it does tip over... because it will tip over at some point most likely.  Ride it for the year, sell it in the spring for pretty much what you paid and then move up.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline .l..

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +23/-654
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 02:05:36 pm »
Well, with lessons or a riding course and at least he's off to a good start.  I bought a bike, no license, no insurance...and promptly drove it home from the dealer an hr+ away.  Sucks to find out you need to turn left to turn right at hwy speed when you get into a curve. Learned that one real quick.  Never crashed though. Luckily.  Little different than driving, sorry..."riding" (you don't "drive" a  motorcycle, you "ride" it - I got told, now you have too!  ;D) in the city.  There was no mandatory training back then...you just buy a bike, take your motorcycle paper test, pass the driving portion, and you're now a licensed motorcycle rider!  My niece passed her test/course a couple of years ago...and promptly stuck it into a 20' deep ditch on loose-ish gravel, or maybe it was rain, she crashed good anyway. Not sure she rides any more. My sister just passed hers (my bil is a motorcycle instructor for the province in which they live) and now wants a GROM for herself. Silly sister...almost 50 and now she wants to ride.

I loved riding as a kid/young adult. Complete hoon. I'd race squirrels if they'd only step up and give it a shot. i.e. I'd race anything, and everyone, anytime...even if you weren't racing, I was. Could never master riding on one wheel though...that would've been fun. Knew a couple of guys who would put it up endlessly, passengers on the bike or not. 5 mile wheelies weren't unheard of from those two. Very impressive to a 17 yr old kids mind.  My dad never owned a bike, so no idea where I got it from, and I know my FIL hates them with a passion - they're death traps (amazing he let me date his daughter and take her out on it when I had one. Must've liked me...everyone makes mistakes). Today...meh...I'll ride my brothers bike for 10 minutes, and then I'm good for another year or two. Wish I still wanted one, but I'm not as good as I once was, and I'd probably crash now, and I'm too old for that. A stay in the hospital isn't my cup o'tea. Maybe when I retire...the urge to live wild will come back.

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 02:07:12 pm »

On that last point however, my instructors didn't want us covering our brake and clutch levers though.

That's a terrible, grievous error IMO. Terrible advice. If it only takes you 1/4 second to react and move fingers from bar to brake lever, you've travelled roughly 7 meters in that time span at highway speed.

7 meters is easily the difference between avoidance and catastrophe.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:45 pm »
If I were to get a small Honda to learn on it wouldn't be this:

It would be this:

IMHO, the geometry and dynamics of a sportbike are not as forgiving as a dirtbike.  Much more fun too.

Are there any rural areas to ride in NFLD?   Maybe some dirt roads or trails?  :rofl2:
Mr Pickypants

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
My son wants a motorcycle
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:38 pm »
Blur..I agree 100 percent. I always recommend a dual sport as a first bike. In addition to the reasons you mention, they are cheap to fix (no bodywork). Plus they are nearly bomb proof...You could throw it off a mountain and it would only be slightly scratched.

FWIW, the geometry of the 125cc sportbikes is pretty docile

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 04:52:55 pm »

FWIW, the geometry of the 125cc sportbikes is pretty docile

I figured it should be pretty friendly to newbs, but I've never tried one.
Most bigger sportbikes only feel good if you're trying to go fast, it's hard to putt around town and feel comfortable IMHO.   

Off-road you can explore the limits easier without becoming a hood ornament.
On that note, I should fire up a bike and go for a ride, I haven't yet this season.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 07:56:27 pm »
Thanks for all the advice so far, I will check kijiji for dual sports. 

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 07:57:33 pm »
Buy him a Grom.
Seriously!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 08:57:05 pm »
My bit of advice would be to always stay on high beam in daytime, helps motorists to notice you.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 10:22:56 pm »

Thanks

Don't see a problem as long as you're not paying for it.