Author Topic: Feature: Car2Go real-world test  (Read 6442 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Car2Go real-world test
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:02:44 am »

We put Vancouver's new Car2Go car sharing service to the test to find out how well it works.

Read More...

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
Re: Feature: Car2Go real-world test
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:43:58 am »
Car sharing seems to be one (although logistically complex) alternative to help traffic congestion and I understand Cars to GO is a Mercedes program . Using 2 seat smart cars just seems dumb. Need a car? Don't take up a parking space, don't own one drive a 2 seater!. Need to go to get groceries and can't carry them all the way from the store? Great walk over a block and get a CarstoGO car just don't plan plan getting 2 many groceries or any stops at Costco because its a little 2 seat Smartcar! Want to go to Victoria Park for a picnic but its too far to walk? Great just plan on meeting your friends there because you can only take one.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:11:09 am »
They only provide smarts?  That seems silly, as one would think people without cars would use these for trips to the big box stores in the burbs.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:32 am »
I think they are using it as an alternative to taking cabs and buses to congested area for people living downtown without cars (or for people thinking of getting rid of their cars)

Most of the time it will be one or two passengers and the smart makes perfect sense.

if you want to pick up furnitures or go to costco, just go rent a truck or simply get things delivered to your doorstep

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:28 pm »
I think they are using it as an alternative to taking cabs and buses to congested area for people living downtown without cars (or for people thinking of getting rid of their cars)

Most of the time it will be one or two passengers and the smart makes perfect sense.

if you want to pick up furnitures or go to costco, just go rent a truck or simply get things delivered to your doorstep

I think there a lot of times that more than 2 people want to travel. A cab will take 3 people or more. A bus allows 2 parents to take their kids.

The Smart Fortwo has a very small cargo hold for the class -- only 7.9 cubic feet up to the beltline and 12.0 cubic feet if it’s packed to the roof. Even though these numbers are small in comparison to the Honda Fit’s 57.3 cubic feet,
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Sport-Ford-Fusion-W0QQAdIdZ297714141

We aren't talking about picking up a bed we are talking about a weeks worth of groceries. The Smart is impractical to start with..using it for this type of venture makes it even more so.  Using a Fit or Years Versa would make the program considerably better and likely less expensive to boot.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:06 pm »
Hell, the Yaris is a cheaper car to buy and just as economical as the new Gas-engined Smart.  You also get 4 seats and a boot that is large enough to put a few weeks worth of groceries in.

BUT, Toyota isn't running this program, Mercedes is, so I guess Vancouver is out of luck. 

It's still a neat concept, they just have the wrong car.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:07 pm »
This is a brilliant concept and Mercedes has to be given a gold star for having the guts to try it and the brains for making it work.

Smart cars are the logical choice to kick off this kind of program but there could be other classes of cars as well. 

Personally, I'd like to see this done with vans and pickups so for the two times a year when you really might actually need this capacity, you can rent it cheap and easy.  That would eliminate the ridiculous glut of large, rarely utilized vehicles on our roads.

Another concept a guy around here was floating was the Truck Taxi.  A guy with a light truck to help you shift your stuff.  Probably before its time but the time is coming.

Anyway, great first step.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 01:41:26 am »
The reason why bicycles, motorbikes, scooters etc. don't exist is because people never have transportation needs that require cars with less than 4 seats and a big trunk.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:41:42 am »
It's still a neat concept, they just have the wrong car.

It is the wrong car indeed.  Of all mass produced cars it offers the least advantages over simply taking public transportation or a cab.

Plus the fact that it has a cranky semiauto transmission that is ill suited to the type of congested city driving the program is designed for.

Probably the ideal car would be something like the Volt. Given that the average "use" of these things is 22 minutes and assuming they could make sure they ended back at a charging station from time to time you might be able to run the program entirely on electric. A Volt would be large enough that it could be used for both city commutes or the outing to the grocery store or costco as well as transporting 4 people (so they could car pool to share costs) It would likely be cost prohibitive.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:32:49 pm »
They only provide smarts?  That seems silly, as one would think people without cars would use these for trips to the big box stores in the burbs.

I live smack in the middle of the Car2Go test area so I can offer some observations.

Said "big box stores" are not very far from the target area of the Westside of Vancouver, perhaps 10 km. The big Costco is like 3 km from the main Car2Go area. The main reason for using the Smart is the parking situation in said area, probably the most congested in Canada. A larger car is not necessary for this. Most of the users are people who rarely need a car and this neighbourhood is particularly well served by excellent public transit. The majority of the people in this area are childless and do not need a larger car. If they do, there are other car coops available for them such as Modo.

The service is popular and appears widely used. I would assume that these Smarts, being the lowest line models, cost MB very little, hence the reason for them being employed for this service.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:57:59 pm by Vanstar »
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »

Said "big box stores" are not very far from the target area of the Westside of Vancouver. The main reason for using the Smart is the parking situation in said area, probably the most congested in Canada. A larger car is not necessary for this. Most of the users are people who rarely need a car and this neighbourhood is particularly well served by excellent public transit.
Sorry but its not like a Fit or Yaris is huge and can't be parked almost anywhere a Smart could be.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 01:59:36 pm »

Said "big box stores" are not very far from the target area of the Westside of Vancouver. The main reason for using the Smart is the parking situation in said area, probably the most congested in Canada. A larger car is not necessary for this. Most of the users are people who rarely need a car and this neighbourhood is particularly well served by excellent public transit.
Sorry but its not like a Fit or Yaris is huge and can't be parked almost anywhere a Smart could be.

There are several other car coops in this area that can provide larger cars. Car2Go seems to be working in convenience and this seems to be working as there are cars all over the place. There are two stations within a 300m radius of my home.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »

There are several other car coops in this area that can provide larger cars. Car2Go seems to be working in convenience and this seems to be working as there are cars all over the place. There are two stations within a 300m radius of my home.

What these people are saying is that they don't "get" the Car2Go system.  I agree with them that it's clear they don't "get" it.  Whether it makes sense is an entirely different matter, and time will tell who is correct.  I would venture to say many of the transportation options used in the world's cities don't make sense to these people, yet the system they prefer (everyone travel only in bulky private motor vehicles) doesn't work very well at all. Do you suppose they'd approve of tuktuks, for instance?

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
What these people are saying is that they don't "get" the Car2Go system.  I agree with them that it's clear they don't "get" it.  Whether it makes sense is an entirely different matter, and time will tell who is correct.  I would venture to say many of the transportation options used in the world's cities don't make sense to these people, yet the system they prefer (everyone travel only in bulky private motor vehicles) doesn't work very well at all. Do you suppose they'd approve of tuktuks, for instance?

You're wasting your time with this crowd. This is forum where a good number of people now believe that a car should be selected and optioned properly for sitting in a traffic jam.
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,75254.0.html
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 05:10:25 pm »
Quote from: ken link=topic=75238.msg 736631#msg 736631 date=1313787717
Quote from: X-Traction link=topic=75238.msg 736592#msg 736592 date=1313780583
What these people are saying is that they don't "get" the Car2Go system.  I agree with them that it's clear they don't "get" it.  Whether it makes sense is an entirely different matter, and time will tell who is correct.  I would venture to say many of the transportation options used in the world's cities don't make sense to these people, yet the system they prefer (everyone travel only in bulky private motor vehicles) doesn't work very well at all. Do you suppose they'd approve of tuk tuk, for instance?

You're wasting your time with this crowd. This is forum where a good number of people now believe that a car should be selected and optioned properly for sitting in a traffic jam.
Does PEI have more than 10 cars, why is PEI a provinces again?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »
Quote from: ken link=topic=75238.msg 736631#msg 736631 date=1313787717
Quote from: X-Traction link=topic=75238.msg 736592#msg 736592 date=1313780583
What these people are saying is that they don't "get" the Car2Go system.  I agree with them that it's clear they don't "get" it.  Whether it makes sense is an entirely different matter, and time will tell who is correct.  I would venture to say many of the transportation options used in the world's cities don't make sense to these people, yet the system they prefer (everyone travel only in bulky private motor vehicles) doesn't work very well at all. Do you suppose they'd approve of tuk tuk, for instance?

LOL.  Hitting below the belt?

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »

LOL.  Hitting below the belt?

That's as high as he's able to reach.  :)

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 09:37:06 pm »

I do believe we have a troll among us.  :notroll:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:39:10 pm by Vanstar »