Author Topic: so many broken brake lights.  (Read 21063 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: so many broken brake lights.
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:24 pm »
I meant for the FRONT lights!         :banghead:
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:41 pm »
I meant for the FRONT lights!         :banghead:
Ah, yes.  Fog lights can count as DRLs, which is why I suggested that the 'maximum of 4 headlamps' would preclude the Cherokee's separate DRL, low beam, and fog light lamps.

The law is full of contradictions, however.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »
 I've noticed that the vast majority of broken brake/tail lights seem to be on older vehicles, but broken headlights are on newer, more expensive models, mostly FGCs. Yesterday alone I noticed 3 of them, 1 BMW and 2 MBs. I dunno which bugs me more. ???
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:04 pm »
I've noticed that the vast majority of broken brake/tail lights seem to be on older vehicles, but broken headlights are on newer, more expensive models, mostly FGCs. Yesterday alone I noticed 3 of them, 1 BMW and 2 MBs. I dunno which bugs me more. ???
I see a lot of tail lights burned out on newer vehicles as well.

So here's another interesting one for ya:

On many newer cars, when you activate the turn signal, the headlight on that side will shut off to make the turn signal more visible to oncoming traffic.  While out, are you liable to get a ticket?  ;)

Note: The law has held that the excuse of "the car was designed that way!!" has not held up as a valid defence.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 03:10:06 pm »
I see a lot of tail lights burned out on newer vehicles as well.

So here's another interesting one for ya:

On many newer cars, when you activate the turn signal, the headlight on that side will shut off to make the turn signal more visible to oncoming traffic.  While out, are you liable to get a ticket?  ;)

Note: The law has held that the excuse of "the car was designed that way!!" has not held up as a valid defence.

Wasn't that a Chrysler 'innovation'? The first few times I saw that I wondered WTF was wrong with all those brand-new Chryslers. Not that it matters since most of the drivers around here haven't figured out what that little stick on the left of the steering wheel is for anyway.

I guess I should stop trying to make sense of things. Lately it just gives me a pounding headache. :-\

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »
Wasn't that a Chrysler 'innovation'?
Yes.  While Buick and BMW had an extra light that illuminated when the turn signal was activated, Chrysler turned off the headlight.  I thought, "what kind of moronic moron would do something so moronic... >:("

...and then Audi followed suit.  Then I saw it on a Subaru and cried a little.  I give up. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 04:47:54 pm »
Has anyone ever noticed that on every Chrysler vehicle whenever the turn signal is activated, the respective headlight goes out?  Anyone know why they do this?  I've only noticed this on Chryslers.  I wonder why this is...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:30 pm »
Has anyone ever noticed that on every Chrysler vehicle whenever the turn signal is activated, the respective headlight goes out?  Anyone know why they do this?  I've only noticed this on Chryslers.  I wonder why this is...
That's what we're referring to above.

They do this so that the turn signal becomes more apparent.  I dislike it because then the direction in which you are turning is not illuminated.  I think it's a huge mistake.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 05:15:41 pm »
That's what we're referring to above.

They do this so that the turn signal becomes more apparent.  I dislike it because then the direction in which you are turning is not illuminated.  I think it's a huge mistake.

AFAIK, the headlight goes off only when the DRLs are on. 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
so many broken brake lights.
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 05:28:05 pm »

I'm positive that I saw a new Pathfinder do this, but I might have been driving drunk again.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:48 pm »

I believe they made the headlight too close to the turn signal and govt regulations said that's a no-no.... so they shut off the headlight now when the turn signal is on as a "fix".
Mr Pickypants

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 06:20:31 pm »
Yes.  While Buick and BMW had an extra light that illuminated when the turn signal was activated, Chrysler turned off the headlight.  I thought, "what kind of moronic moron would do something so moronic... >:("

...and then Audi followed suit.  Then I saw it on a Subaru and cried a little.  I give up. 

On my Audi if the DRLs are on the appropriate one will turn off while the indicator is on. The headlights do NOT turn off.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:28:09 pm by tpl »

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »

On my Audi if the DRLs are on the appropriate one will turn off while the indicator is on. The headlights do NOT turn off.
Strictly speaking that's true with the Chrysler products, too.  Only when the headlights are illuminated as DRLs do they turn off on the same side as the turn signal.  It does illuminate (pardon the jeu de mot) another issue as blur911 indicated a couple of posts back, which is that many manufacturers have designed their all-in-one headlight/running light/turn signal cluster in such a way that the headlight glare makes it very hard to see the turn signals. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 06:49:25 am »

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Hey!...that's my line  ;D

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:55 am »
Strictly speaking that's true with the Chrysler products, too.  Only when the headlights are illuminated as DRLs do they turn off on the same side as the turn signal.  It does illuminate (pardon the jeu de mot) another issue as blur911 indicated a couple of posts back, which is that many manufacturers have designed their all-in-one headlight/running light/turn signal cluster in such a way that the headlight glare makes it very hard to see the turn signals.

I can't speak for FIAT products, but on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler (specifically) the DRL does not turn off when I signal.  Not sure if the GC, Cherokee or others are the same as the Wrangler, though.

I also have a friend with an A4 that has the software where you can change your lighting patterns in the headlights.  I don't think that is common though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:29:41 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59:08 am »
These are the switchback LED turn signals I've been running on the front of my Mazda 3 for the past few years. They normally run white, but turn amber for turn signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-6imShZoLI

In regards to the Chrysler "innovation", I believe it has something to do with the turn signal and lights being in the same optical housing. By being in the same optical housing, I believe it's something about there being no physical separation. If within the same aerodynamic headlight assembly you have a clear separation from one light compartment or another, it's consider multiple optical housings under one lens/cover.

But then the light only turns off when it's in DRL mode. This may also have to do with the fact that Chryslers' DRLs in some of their 2000s models are full on high beams, when you compare it to other manufacturers who use a reduced mode high beam for their DRLs. But then the 07+ Kia Sedona is also a culprit.

I feel like I'm just babbling at this point.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 09:50:17 am »
That has not been my experience.  At night as well, the headlights turn off on all VWs and Chryslers that I've seen.  My recollection is imperfect, however, but I notice this daily.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 07:37:29 pm »
That has not been my experience.  At night as well, the headlights turn off on all VWs and Chryslers that I've seen.  My recollection is imperfect, however, but I notice this daily.

During the day, but not at night when the headlights are needed.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 09:12:02 pm »
On my way home from work today:
Honda Civic (circa 2002?) right tail light out.

2009ish Acura RDX, left tail light out.