Author Topic: Feature: The Joy of Driving' Fast' On a Track (or Off-roading)  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Mike Schlee offers some advice for novice drivers who want to experience high-performance driving.

Read More...

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
Re: Feature: The Joy of Driving' Fast' On a Track (or Off-roading)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:44:28 am »
Good article, but except for one or two mentions, there are no specific websites and contact info of driving tracks.  At least that's what I was hoping to find here.  If I was writing this I would do a little more research and actually make a clear listing of all these tracks in Canada...there can't be that many...at least the ones in Ontario - so the readers are aware of what and where they are.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:54:07 am »
Good article, but except for one or two mentions, there are no specific websites and contact info of driving tracks.  At least that's what I was hoping to find here.  If I was writing this I would do a little more research and actually make a clear listing of all these tracks in Canada...there can't be that many...at least the ones in Ontario - so the readers are aware of what and where they are.  Just my 2 cents.

You would actually be surprised at how many tracks and driving schools there are in Canada.  I was going to include a list, but I was worried more about excluding tracks in regions I wasn't familiar with.

In the Southern Ontario region alone there are:

St Thomas Dragway
Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) - Drag,
Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) -Drift, Street
Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) - Oval
Shannonville Speedway
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - Track,
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - schools
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - DDT
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - oval
Delaware Speedway
Kawartha Speedway
Sunset International Speedway
Various schools, lapping days and events at Downsview Park
Barrie Speedway
Flamboro Speedway
Merritville Speedway
Grand Bend Motoplex
Grand Bend Speedway

...and I have already probably forgotten a lot and didn't make it North of Barrie or East of Kingston ;)

Offline Stundy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS Hatch, 2005 Tata Indica
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »
Hi Mike,
Great article and I could totally relate to it. I am a 22 year old car enthusiast (or at least that's what I like to think) and this got me thinking how juvenile I was just a couple of years ago in terms of driving on the road.
I did some research into costs of taking my car on the track etc. and found it to be a bit pricey especially considering I just graduated out of school and got a job. Would you (and anyone else reading this) be kind enough to give me some advise/suggestions as to how I can be able to do this on a tight budget? To start out, I've requested to be able to volunteer as a Marshall at Mosport. I guess it goes without saying that I love everything to do with cars.
Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Pranav

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:23:19 pm »
Hi Mike,
Great article and I could totally relate to it. I am a 22 year old car enthusiast (or at least that's what I like to think) and this got me thinking how juvenile I was just a couple of years ago in terms of driving on the road.
I did some research into costs of taking my car on the track etc. and found it to be a bit pricey especially considering I just graduated out of school and got a job. Would you (and anyone else reading this) be kind enough to give me some advise/suggestions as to how I can be able to do this on a tight budget? To start out, I've requested to be able to volunteer as a Marshall at Mosport. I guess it goes without saying that I love everything to do with cars.
Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Pranav

HI Pranav,
What you want to do is join a CASC-OR club.  The clubs organize lapping days, autocrosses, rallying, driving schools, track officiating, etc.   There are regional clubs and clubs that specialize in one aspect or another.  Figure out what you want to do, check them out and join.
http://www.casc.on.ca/
Mr Pickypants

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:00 pm »
Great article! It's been a while since I've happened to read something about motorsports on this website, and this just reminded me of some of the aspirations I've had over the last few months. For one, I've wanted to drive a Japanese mini 4x4 off road. Sounds like fun to me, but I wonder just what it would be able to tackle. Oh, but what a difficult wish to fill in Canada. Maybe some day.

Offline Stundy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:52 pm »

HI Pranav,
What you want to do is join a CASC-OR club.  The clubs organize lapping days, autocrosses, rallying, driving schools, track officiating, etc.   There are regional clubs and clubs that specialize in one aspect or another.  Figure out what you want to do, check them out and join.

Great! Yes, I was looking for something on those lines. I am checking out their website right now and it seems like they have a lot of stuff that I am sure to enjoy. Thank you!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »

HI Pranav,

Great! Yes, I was looking for something on those lines. I am checking out their website right now and it seems like they have a lot of stuff that I am sure to enjoy. Thank you!

Yeah, the link Blur added is great and volunteering at Mosport as a marshal is another great idea.  The cheapest way to get on a track is with drag racing.  It is around $30 for a nights worth of passes.  Not everyones cup of tea, but fun.

What do you drive?  Have looked into local car clubs for the vehicle you drive?  They sometimes set up lapping days too.  When I had my RX-8 I went to a few lapping days at Shannonville for 4 hours.  We would split the track rental time and it would only cost roughly $75 a person for the night.

Offline Stundy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:41 am »

HI Pranav,

Yeah, the link Blur added is great and volunteering at Mosport as a marshal is another great idea.  The cheapest way to get on a track is with drag racing.  It is around $30 for a nights worth of passes.  Not everyones cup of tea, but fun.

What do you drive?  Have looked into local car clubs for the vehicle you drive?  They sometimes set up lapping days too.  When I had my RX-8 I went to a few lapping days at Shannonville for 4 hours.  We would split the track rental time and it would only cost roughly $75 a person for the night.

Sounds good, thank you! I'll look into those. I drive a 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS hatch. Not really the kind known for their manual transmission. I did upgrade to a short shifter though. I would really like to try Drags one day.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 03:44:22 pm »

You would actually be surprised at how many tracks and driving schools there are in Canada.  I was going to include a list, but I was worried more about excluding tracks in regions I wasn't familiar with.

In the Southern Ontario region alone there are:

St Thomas Dragway
Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) - Drag,
Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) -Drift, Street
Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) - Oval
Shannonville Speedway
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - Track,
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - schools
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - DDT
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - oval
Delaware Speedway
Kawartha Speedway
Sunset International Speedway
Various schools, lapping days and events at Downsview Park
Barrie Speedway
Flamboro Speedway
Merritville Speedway
Grand Bend Motoplex
Grand Bend Speedway

...and I have already probably forgotten a lot and didn't make it North of Barrie or East of Kingston ;)

Thank you very much.