Author Topic: Apple Dropping Downloads? Say It Ain't So!  (Read 8020 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: Apple Dropping Downloads? Say It Ain't So!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 07:54:49 am »
I'm getting quads numbers on the site

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 03:04:55 pm »

There's Tidal. It costs about $28 a month. $40 if you want lossless sound quality.

Wrong.

Lossless is $19.99 and 320 kbs is $9.99. All numbers CDN and include taxes.

We're both wrong.

Nope, I'm right. Where are you getting those numbers from? I have been subscribing to TIDAL for over a year and only pay $9.99 for 320 kbs service. I don't feel that the lossless service is worth the extra but it is $19.99.

This is what I see when I go to TIDAL.

That's what I get when I hit subscribe. Maybe you're grandfathered into lower rates?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 04:18:22 pm »

There's Tidal. It costs about $28 a month. $40 if you want lossless sound quality.

Wrong.

Lossless is $19.99 and 320 kbs is $9.99. All numbers CDN and include taxes.

We're both wrong.

Nope, I'm right. Where are you getting those numbers from? I have been subscribing to TIDAL for over a year and only pay $9.99 for 320 kbs service. I don't feel that the lossless service is worth the extra but it is $19.99.

This is what I see when I go to TIDAL.

That's what I get when I hit subscribe. Maybe you're grandfathered into lower rates?

Nope. I'm not logged in when I check the pricing. Also pi314 is getting the same numbers as me. Strange how you get such outrageous numbers.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 10:00:17 pm »
iPhone tax?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 08:22:44 am »
So,  I'm not an iTunes user, and I'm certainly not an Apple user in any way shape or form.  However, I also don't buy individual songs or albums (haven't in years).  Instead, I pay $9.99/month for Spotify Premium accounts for both my spouse and myself.  I'm perfectly happy with this, and it allows me to listen to music in the car that is ad-free, with tons of choice and lots of introduction to new music. 

HOWEVER, for my wife it's a different story.  She teaches Yoga, and one important aspect of yoga is that it is often put to music.  She spends a significant amount of time browsing the iTunes store looking for suitable music to put into her classes.  When she finds one, she'll buy it, and add it to an existing playlist, or one that she's working on.  She probably has about 100 playlists (if not more).  Playlists are important, because the music she plays dictates the tempo of the class, alters your mood, etc. and she has different playlists for different styles of classes, and so things don't get too repetitious. 

I would be worried that if she can no longer buy songs and organize them into a predictable playlist that can be played NOT on shuffle, it will significantly impact the way she plans and teaches her classes.  She is a BIG user of iTunes, spending hundreds of dollars per year, and I don't know that streaming will necessarily work as an option for her. 

What's more, the ONLY reason she's with Apple is because of iTunes.  If it wasn't for her musical needs, I would have moved her to Android a LONG time ago.  If Apple ends up ditching paid music downloads, then there probably won't be any reason for her to keep using Apple products. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 09:44:37 am »
It doesn't sound like streaming would really change anything for her though.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 10:23:06 am »
I have this useful program that extracts the sound from YouTube videos.  As a lot of the  music I listen to is from videos of jazz bands busking in NOLA with all the street noises superimposed and I only listen to music in the car this works for me.   

But I wonder if there are not Yoga videos of various sorts with music.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 02:36:40 pm »

Have to agree.

Why isn't she using the Spotify acct to make playlists and put them on her device?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »

Have to agree.

Why isn't she using the Spotify acct to make playlists and put them on her device?

Only thing that comes to mind is that I don't believe Spotify allows you to specify the order of songs in a playlist.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 02:40:00 pm »

Have to agree.

I guess we could do that.  We haven't explored it yet.  So far, her current method is working.  I guess I just don't like change all that much.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 02:52:50 pm »
Only thing that comes to mind is that I don't believe Spotify allows you to specify the order of songs in a playlist.

True but I'd be shocked if they didn't. They are one of the best streaming services out there.

I guess we could do that.  We haven't explored it yet.  So far, her current method is working.  I guess I just don't like change all that much.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  ;)

Of course, I wouldn't want to be the one that has to create all the new playlists.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 04:26:58 pm »

True but I'd be shocked if they didn't. They are one of the best streaming services out there.

Just took another look and you can order them. It's a bit unintuitive because if you have sorted the playlist by something else (artist, song title, date added, etc) the option to reorder disappears.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:33:39 pm by OliverD »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 07:55:30 pm »
So,  I'm not an iTunes user, and I'm certainly not an Apple user in any way shape or form.  However, I also don't buy individual songs or albums (haven't in years).  Instead, I pay $9.99/month for Spotify Premium accounts for both my spouse and myself.  I'm perfectly happy with this, and it allows me to listen to music in the car that is ad-free, with tons of choice and lots of introduction to new music. 

HOWEVER, for my wife it's a different story.  She teaches Yoga, and one important aspect of yoga is that it is often put to music.  She spends a significant amount of time browsing the iTunes store looking for suitable music to put into her classes.  When she finds one, she'll buy it, and add it to an existing playlist, or one that she's working on.  She probably has about 100 playlists (if not more).  Playlists are important, because the music she plays dictates the tempo of the class, alters your mood, etc. and she has different playlists for different styles of classes, and so things don't get too repetitious. 

I would be worried that if she can no longer buy songs and organize them into a predictable playlist that can be played NOT on shuffle, it will significantly impact the way she plans and teaches her classes.  She is a BIG user of iTunes, spending hundreds of dollars per year, and I don't know that streaming will necessarily work as an option for her. 

What's more, the ONLY reason she's with Apple is because of iTunes.  If it wasn't for her musical needs, I would have moved her to Android a LONG time ago.  If Apple ends up ditching paid music downloads, then there probably won't be any reason for her to keep using Apple products. 

iTunes playlists migrate to Apple Music without any issues.

The main problem I see is if she uses a standalone iPod device. Apple Music will not sync with those.