Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX manual  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX manual
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:03:55 am »

Contributing Editor takes a closer look at a rare base model of the Mazda CX-5 crossover.

Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spin: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX manual
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:35:39 am »
I have no data to back this statement up  but I suspect manuals are much more popular in Canada than the US. As is usually the case we Canucks lose out on the manual option due to the homogenized North American market.

This is pretty much the same reality with station wagons which are far more popular here.

I think the comparative popularity of Diesels would fall into the same pattern.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:49:07 am »
I have no data to back this statement up  but I suspect manuals are much more popular in Canada than the US. As is usually the case we Canucks lose out on the manual option due to the homogenized North American market.

I agree that this is true. There's also a good number of car models (from VW, Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda) that offer the manual only in the most basic versions in the U.S., but in Canada can be had in various trim levels.

As much as I like the CX-5 and love manual transmissions, offering the six-speed in only the base FWD model offers to appeal to me. The Mazda of just a few years ago offered manuals in its higher end models, which is why I have a loaded 6 GT wagon five-speed. A CX-5 AWD GT with a stick would be a compelling replacement for that car in 2-3 years.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:24:54 am »
Its great that they offer a manual tranny in a CUV, shows that Mazda is kind of serious about its cars having a sporty inclination. Now, if you could get the AWD with a 6spd manual, that would be great.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 810

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:35:24 am »
I guess, as is the case with Subaru, the AWD with a stick is a completely different system from the AWD with a slushbox. The former has to have a preset distribution (e.g. 55/45 or 50/50), whereas the slushomatic can have the quasi-AWD, with variable distribution. I doubt, given the demand, we will see AWD with a stick on anything new....sadly.

Funny, I am in a similar situation with a "3". The average observed consumption is about 10.5-11, mixed cycle and medium to heavy foot. More space would be nice, but based on all other reviews, neither CX5 nor the 5 are as tossable as the 3....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:10:27 am »
I guess, as is the case with Subaru, the AWD with a stick is a completely different system from the AWD with a slushbox. The former has to have a preset distribution (e.g. 55/45 or 50/50), whereas the slushomatic can have the quasi-AWD, with variable distribution. I doubt, given the demand, we will see AWD with a stick on anything new....sadly.

Funny, I am in a similar situation with a "3". The average observed consumption is about 10.5-11, mixed cycle and medium to heavy foot. More space would be nice, but based on all other reviews, neither CX5 nor the 5 are as tossable as the 3....

There is no CX-5 awd with stick.

As for the Mazda3 being a gas hog, I just completed 2500km in a rental Traverse LT AWD, and got an average of 12.1, including hills, loaded interior with gear for 10 days on the road with a family of five, some urban driving and mostly 120km/h on the highway.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:14:53 am »
EXACTLY the CX-5 I would consider.  Great purchase!

I got a brief drive in a new, fairly loaded 2012 Escape FWD manual (the previous-gen), and the shifter / box / engine combo surprised me.  It was the first of its kind I ever saw, and for a "loss leader", it had a great shifter, with dimples à la GTI, and black leatherette booty.  That Escape, charcoal gray over black leather, with moonroof and other goodies, was incentived down to 22k$.  Too bad I needed a new van and not a Sentra replacement at the time!

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »
Beside Subaru, there is one more SUV with AWD and 6 speed manual  ... ..  . ... The Suzuki SX-4  ;D ;D

Is very sad that they no longer offfers AWD manual combo in North America ..... . 

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »
Thanks for the (non-company-sponsored) review Chris.  I love reading the reviews of "real" (owned) vehicles, as opposed to those from the test fleet.  Especially relevant is WHY the owner decided to buy that particular vehicle - what made it stand out against the competition? In this case, desire for a M/T (jacked-up) wagon!  Awesome!

But it is getting harder and harder to find a CUV/SUV/wagon with M/T - and even tougher to find well-equipped versions (much less with AWD).  With the Escape dropping the M/T, and rumours that the Tuscon/Sportage will drop theirs for 2013 (at least in US?), that leaves only the CX-5, Forester, and Patriot with M/T offerings.  And perhaps the Tiguan still has a base M/T?  I guess you could throw in the Juke and Xterra as well (possibly FJ Cruiser?), though not exactly mainstream CUV offerings.  Wagons - just the Golf, and I guess the Mazda5 and Orlando (kinda like wagons).  Any others out there?  Still lots of hatchbacks with M/T - for now...

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:50 pm »
This is the model we're looking at buying and ONLY because it has the manual. One recent article I read claimed sales of manuals in the USA have doubled since 2007 (from something unbelievably low like 4%), so maybe there's some hope of at least a few manufacturers continuing to offer them. According to BMW Canada (in a Macleans article this year) sales of Minis with manuals are between 25 and 65% in Canada. I don't agree that the manual CX-5 isn't quicker with the manual though. It would be a very rare automatic that is as fast as the manual version (unless it's a dual clutch). CR tested a variety of cars with both and the proof is pretty overwhelming in favour of the manual. On average the manuals were a full second faster to 60mph and got as many as five more MPG's. Add that to the $1200 average savings of a manual and you can almost pay for the insane 'freight' charges of nearly $1900!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/save-gas-and-money-with-a-manual-transmission/index.htm

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:09 pm »
But it is getting harder and harder to find a CUV/SUV/wagon with M/T - and even tougher to find well-equipped versions (much less with AWD).  With the Escape dropping the M/T, and rumours that the Tuscon/Sportage will drop theirs for 2013 (at least in US?), that leaves only the CX-5, Forester, and Patriot with M/T offerings.  And perhaps the Tiguan still has a base M/T?  I guess you could throw in the Juke and Xterra as well (possibly FJ Cruiser?), though not exactly mainstream CUV offerings.  Wagons - just the Golf, and I guess the Mazda5 and Orlando (kinda like wagons).  Any others out there?  Still lots of hatchbacks with M/T - for now...

Outback

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 11:26:51 pm »
Yup, Forester and Outback still available with manuals.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:37:56 am »
I agree that this is true. There's also a good number of car models (from VW, Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda) that offer the manual only in the most basic versions in the U.S., but in Canada can be had in various trim levels.

That's what these car companies are known for, to be sporty, so offering a manual in these CUVs/Wagons makes sense.  You can get a manual in the Golf, Golf Wagon, and the Tiguan.  The Mazda5, Mazda CX-5, and most Subarus (I mean who could survive on CVTs only!) I can't see any manuals coming from the mainstream CUVs, like Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Nissan to name a few.  These lower volume sellers need an edge, for people like us!  I am jealous that you have the manual in the Mazda6, I wanted it, but was given a pretty good deal on a Mazda6 Sport, it's a pretty good auto.  I find the shifting in the Mazda3 better than the Mazda6, I think the manual tranny in the 6 is American, while in the 3 it's Japanese....

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:03:38 pm »
 Lovely little utilitarian vehicle..Good luck to your bro-in-law with it  .  Thanks for a nice article   Jack

Offline TerryB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Porsche Boxster, Hyundai Genesis Sedan, Mazda MX5, Mazda3, Mercury Villager, Nissan Altima, Acura Integra (x4)
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 12:43:26 pm »
Did your bro-in-law try a Mazda5 with manual too?