Author Topic: Test drove a Volkswagen 4motion Sportwagen  (Read 22574 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Test drove a Volkswagen 4motion Sportwagen
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:20:37 pm »
This morning I had the chance to test drive a Golf Sportwagen TSI 4motion DSG, base model (Trendline, i think?) . Spent about 40 mins driving around residential North Van, and also a bit of highway. For reference…I have very little of it :P. The only other recent VW I’ve driven was a 2015 Golf 1.8Tsi manual. The only DSG’s I’ve tried were a then-new 2007 GTI and a 2013 Audi S4 S-tronic; both transmissions felt sporty and snappy, and well-matched to their powertrains.

Road conditions: beautiful fall day - dry, sunny, 15 degrees.

Ultimately, the question I had going into the drive was: is the Sportwagen 4motion TSI a worthwhile upgrade from my Subaru Sportwagen?

The short answer: Almost…it just needs more power. It needs the GTI motor. Better yet the Golf R motor. Dead Horse = beaten ;).

The long answer: impressions below.

- Boy, I am a truly sh*t driver when i’m in a new car with a salesman riding shotgun.

- The DSG is quick…but the shifts don’t feel quite as immediate as a manual. I don’t know how to reconcile this with the fact that every journalist seems to insist DSG shifts faster than a human can. I should probably chalk at least some of this feeling up to my lack of familiarity with the gearshift layout; how and when to switch from ‘D’ to ’S’, and over to tiptronic mode.

- The handling was pretty impressive - it felt very planted,  even with the smallish 16’s. I took one highway on-ramp at twice the "appropriate" speed (at the salesman’s insistence, i should add ;)) and I could definnitely feel the AWD kicking in; the rear wheels working, keeping me from plowing or understeering. It was great - definitely had the impression that 4motion was not just a foul-weather safety net, but it had some performance chops, too. AWD in the Sportwagen costs $1600 and, if you like to drive, i’d say is an absolute no-brainer.

- the car felt peppy but not fast. It felt pretty torquey getting going, but seemed to run out of breath sooner that I would have liked or expected. I was surprised how much revving was required to extract the most power, considering the torque profile of the TSI. But I guess 185hp/199 torque will never feel “fast” per se. The GTI’s 2.0 could probably easily fix this. The R’s 2.0T even more so. Or maybe the smoother-than-smooth 3.6 VR6? Hmmmm. But bottom line: this AWD wagon variant is of course heavier than a FWD Golf, and if effortless speed is your thing, the 1.8T comes up a bit short.

- the base trim comes very well-equipped - it has absolutely everything I could want, save for the panoramic roof.

- i love that this car comes with a spare tire

- I love that this car comes with a manual handbrake

- It would be great to have the option of sports seats with a bit more bolstering and support.

- I didn’t even switch on the infotainment system; I knew it would be easily lightyears ahead of my 2006 Subaru.

The car lived up to my expectations: it felt very solid, well built, surefooted, well-equipped, and ever-so-slightly underpowered. I know an APR flash would possibly solve this, but a) if i were leasing, that would be a no-no, and b) I like the idea of having a car that is fast right out of the box.

If you have access to another car or motorcycle for your thrills, then I don’t think there’s a better all-rounder, dollar-for-dollar, than the 4motion Sportwagen. But if this is your do-it-all enthusiast car, you may want something with a bit more shove.

Great car, but for me, i will probably keep looking.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Test drove a Volkswagen 4motion Sportwagen
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 06:43:09 pm »
Great write up. :thumbup:

Did you notice any flappy paddles on the steering wheel? Read that the CDN Alltrack doesn't get them but USA does. Same was with our Golfs.

If you have access to another car or motorcycle for your thrills, then I don’t think there’s a better all-rounder, dollar-for-dollar, than the 4motion Sportwagen. But if this is your do-it-all enthusiast car, you may want something with a bit more shove.

So are you saying that after driving my '09 GTI with a +1 tune I will find this slow.   ;D

The question is, what other wagons are out there? Volvo is another $10-15K and is the T5 Drive-E really much faster?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 07:04:28 pm »
Time to test drive a Subaru Outback 3.6R ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:17:45 pm »
Great write up. :thumbup:

Did you notice any flappy paddles on the steering wheel? Read that the CDN Alltrack doesn't get them but USA does. Same was with our Golfs.

Thanks! No flappy paddles on my tester. I had actually asked salesman about them on my previous visit and...i completely forgot what he said. I'll email him and find out.

So are you saying that after driving my '09 GTI with a +1 tune I will find this slow.   ;D

haha - more than likely, i'm afraid

The question is, what other wagons are out there? Volvo is another $10-15K and is the T5 Drive-E really much faster?

Ah yes, therein lies the problem. Slim pickings.

Used 328iT perhaps (lots more money)?

XC70 T6?

The V60 T5 Drive-E did feel plenty peppy when I drove it a while ago - but I think I'd want an AWD version, which isn't even out yet with the T5 Drive-e. And as much as I love the looks of the V60 (and the power of the T6 r-design), it seems like it's a bit of a strange mutt in the volvo lineup - based on old Ford tech, cramped cabin, old infotainment, and about 2 years away from its SPA-platform redesign. Would feel kinda foolish dropping big money on something like that. Then again, if I could find a good deal on a T6 or T5 awd, i could easily be tempted.

The other option is to give up on the wagon thing and just get a sedan for the same - or less - money, and just use roof and hitch racks for everything I need.

THe other, other option is to look at a sporty used CUV, like a CPO X3 -  Also a possibility.

TL;DR - I have no idea what I'll do and need to test drive a bunch!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:37:25 pm by lebowski »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:19:32 pm »

Definitely - though I'm skeptical about the acceleration and handling - even with the 3.6.

ltruong

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:59:40 pm »
What was the price?

Have you ever driven a 2.0TDI?  i wonder how the power is compared to mine.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 08:11:07 pm »
MSRP was $26,045 (not including the Connectivity Pack with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, which would be another $500)

Never driven a TDI, sadly.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:05:30 pm »

Definitely - though I'm skeptical about the acceleration and handling - even with the 3.6.

The Subaru should feel much more powerful...it will eat that 1.8T for breakfast for sure! The 2.5 will be as sluggish as the 1.8T though....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:38:27 pm »
I really don't think a 0-60 of 7 seconds for the 3.6 is eating it for breakfast.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 09:47:38 pm »
Adding the Outback 2.5 does 60 in 9 seconds. So I'd guess the GSW 4M should be right in the middle.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:22:56 pm »
I find it strange people compare the gsw with outback. I parked our Santa Fe sport beside an outback and it appeared exactly the same size. Not sure what the spec's say. I think this gsw with the manual will be a nice setup. It's a shame the TDI seems to gone for good.

ltruong

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:47:32 pm »
I find it strange people compare the gsw with outback. I parked our Santa Fe sport beside an outback and it appeared exactly the same size. Not sure what the spec's say. I think this gsw with the manual will be a nice setup. It's a shame the TDI seems to gone for good.
if you want a wagon.  it's the closest in terms of pricing.... pretty much the only 2 "affordable"

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 12:07:18 am »
I was surprised how much revving was required to extract the most power, considering the torque profile of the TSI. But I guess 185hp/199 torque will never feel “fast” per se.

Shouldn't that be 170hp/199 torque?

Great review.  I like this wagon but I have some reservation about buying a Volkswagen product.  As mentioned in a previous post, there aren't many alternatives out there in that price range. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:13:40 am by 84im »
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 07:39:23 am »
As mentioned in a previous post, there aren't many alternatives out there in that price range.

I think the GSW is the only non lifted wagon out there for $30K with or without AWD. Next would be the V60 FWD at $41K or AWD at $43K.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:26 am »
For sure the GTI/R motor would be a real hoot in this vehicle but for most people the 1.8T will be sufficient.  I know a lot of people like to compare this to the Outback but the comparison I would be making is to the Imprezza.  The prices are a bit closer and the size is closer.  I would think this would feel like a hot rod compared to the slow poke that the Imprezza is nowadays.

For sure you could get it tuned by APR and it would probably be the perfect vehicle for you, but as you say you'll be leasing so it's frowned upon.  That being said as long as it's back to stock tune when you return it I don't think they can really say much.  They could void the powertrain warranty of course but if you have a tuner friendly dealer that's less of a concern.

Sadly there really isn't many options for someone who wants an AWD wagon but doesn't want to go with a premium/luxury brand.  Maybe if you drove it in a manual you might feel like it was a bit more sporty, I know others have said this about the GTI and R in the past.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 10:02:03 am »
- The DSG is quick…but the shifts don’t feel quite as immediate as a manual. I don’t know how to reconcile this with the fact that every journalist seems to insist DSG shifts faster than a human can. I should probably chalk at least some of this feeling up to my lack of familiarity with the gearshift layout; how and when to switch from ‘D’ to ’S’, and over to tiptronic mode.

It probably didn't feel DSG quick because it's not a DSG  ;D Only the Alltrack gets the DSG. The regular Sportwagens with all-wheel drive get the regular six-speed automatic.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 10:19:40 am »

It probably didn't feel DSG quick because it's not a DSG  ;D Only the Alltrack gets the DSG. The regular Sportwagens with all-wheel drive get the regular six-speed automatic.

Mike, you are always right unless you are wrong which is now, sorry buddy. DSG in the 4-motion GSW.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 10:26:16 am »

Mike, you are always right unless you are wrong which is now, sorry buddy. DSG in the 4-motion GSW.

Ohhhhh, I have it backwards. Alltrack has the auto and sportwagen as the DSG then?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 10:27:46 am »

Ohhhhh, I have it backwards. Alltrack has the auto and sportwagen as the DSG then?

Keep trying  :rofl2:

Both the 4-Motion wagon and Allroad get DSG. The regular FWD wagon and hatch get the slushbox.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 12:23:26 pm »

Keep trying  :rofl2:

Both the 4-Motion wagon and Allroad get DSG. The regular FWD wagon and hatch get the slushbox.

Yup. Mike, in fairness I thought I'd read something similar a while back; that the Sportwagen would get a 6-speed automatic while the DSG would be reserved for the Alltrack, but I can confirm that that is not the case; my Sportwagen tester had the DSG, and the Alltrack will be getting it as well (according to the order sheet I was given).

For sure the GTI/R motor would be a real hoot in this vehicle but for most people the 1.8T will be sufficient.  I know a lot of people like to compare this to the Outback but the comparison I would be making is to the Imprezza.  The prices are a bit closer and the size is closer.  I would think this would feel like a hot rod compared to the slow poke that the Imprezza is nowadays.

For sure you could get it tuned by APR and it would probably be the perfect vehicle for you, but as you say you'll be leasing so it's frowned upon.  That being said as long as it's back to stock tune when you return it I don't think they can really say much.  They could void the powertrain warranty of course but if you have a tuner friendly dealer that's less of a concern.

Sadly there really isn't many options for someone who wants an AWD wagon but doesn't want to go with a premium/luxury brand. Maybe if you drove it in a manual you might feel like it was a bit more sporty, I know others have said this about the GTI and R in the past.

For sure, I could see a manual helping the driving experience a little - and I like that the upcoming manual will be an actual 6-speed. We shall see.

Re: tuner-friendly dealer, that would be ideal, certainly. The salesman i spoke with, who couldn't have been nicer and was clearly a car guy and seemed to know a lot about APR, assured me their dealership was definitely not tuner-friendly.

I've driven a 2014 Outback 2.5 and a 2013 Impreza and I agree with you; space and handling-wise, the VW feels far more like an Impreza - but yeah, with noticeably more power. The Outback just felt like a much larger car - like a mid-sized SUV. But I would be curious about that 6-cyl. The main issue with Outbacks is that their resale value is so high, especially with the H6, that I'd be awfully tempted to look at other options in the same snack bracket.

I was surprised how much revving was required to extract the most power, considering the torque profile of the TSI. But I guess 185hp/199 torque will never feel “fast” per se.

Shouldn't that be 170hp/199 torque?

Great review.  I like this wagon but I have some reservation about buying a Volkswagen product.  As mentioned in a previous post, there aren't many alternatives out there in that price range. 

Thanks - and yeah i think you're  right about 170 - too many numbers floating around  :)

Just some additional navel-gazing about the enthusiast wagon niche: I agree this Sportwagen is excellent for what it offers, and I/we here are outliers of course; 95% of people would be happy with the 1.8t, or with an SUV with more power. All this really means is I am led to reassess how badly I need a wagon, vs. a sedan or SUV. Are wagons cool as F? Heck yeah, but at what cost? When does it become silly to covet a $40,000 CPO BMW or Volvo sportswagen, when the laws of supply and demand offer the equivalent sedan for $10k less? $10k can sure cover a lot of weekend SUV and van rentals. Of course, looked another way, for the same $ as the CPO wagon, i could be in a much higher-performing sedan or sporty SUV. Or maybe I'll just be done with it all and get a Smart Electric  :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:37:18 pm by lebowski »