Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068073 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #4280 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:46 am »
Curious when everyone else rides on working days? I never got into riding to work. Normally ride in the even after work but that pushes dinner back to 7PM sometimes.  The whole evening turns into such a rush. Thinking of getting up at 5am and riding for an hour. I see several small advantages to doing this.

Many advantages.  Only downside is the alarm clock pain.  Once you're past that it's all good.  Cool temps, little traffic, little wind, no bugs - and you still have the whole day available to you when you're done.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4281 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:31 am »
Crashed during the race on Tuesday.  Off sick at the moment, still very sore.  Nothing broken though, and no brain issues. (Update, hospital just called, two small rib fractures.  No wonder I'm finding it so hard to get out of bed!)

I think I came off on a corner on the second lap, can't really remember, although GPS data shows where I was.  Took around 8 mins to steady myself and stop being winded, got back on and finished the race!

Went to the hospital yesterday, CT scan and x-ray showed nothing out of the ordinary, just a mild concussion.  My ribs certainly took a battering, so sore.

:bang: :winner: :fall: :foil:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:25:11 am by Triple Bob »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4282 on: June 23, 2016, 12:02:51 pm »
Chicks dig scars.  :rofl2:  Seriously, hope you get better soon my friend.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:18:03 pm by Jaeger »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4283 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:35 pm »
Curious when everyone else rides on working days? I never got into riding to work. Normally ride in the even after work but that pushes dinner back to 7PM sometimes.  The whole evening turns into such a rush. Thinking of getting up at 5am and riding for an hour. I see several small advantages to doing this.

Many advantages.  Only downside is the alarm clock pain.  Once you're past that it's all good.  Cool temps, little traffic, little wind, no bugs - and you still have the whole day available to you when you're done.
When I had my hardtail, I rode after work. I don't see dinner at 19 or 20:00 as late, rather a standard dinner time.

I'm just not a morning person; I even struggle with my 7:00 wake up time for work and couldn't see myself waking up much earlier. Perhaps that will change in the next 2 decades.....
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: June 23, 2016, 01:14:42 pm »

When I had my hardtail, I rode after work. I don't see dinner at 19 or 20:00 as late, rather a standard dinner time.

I'm just not a morning person; I even struggle with my 7:00 wake up time for work and couldn't see myself waking up much earlier. Perhaps that will change in the next 2 decades.....

Well if you're riding trails, getting up early to avoid road traffic is a non-issue and riding in dim light might be a bad idea.  Different considerations if you are riding roads.  I don't mind riding in the evenings but vastly prefer the mornings - mostly because that time is entirely mine - nobody else is competing for my attention at 5:30 in the morning, and I can ride for 2 hours (though more usually 1 to 1 1/2) and still make it into work on time.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: June 23, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »
I often ride to work which means some exercise plus free commuting. I am lucky to have a very nice bike commute on some paths and trails with very few road bits though.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4286 on: June 23, 2016, 02:14:16 pm »
Crashed during the race on Tuesday.

Went to the hospital yesterday, CT scan and x-ray showed nothing out of the ordinary, just a mild concussion.  My ribs certainly took a battering, so sore.

But how is the bike?  ;D

Glad you are ok and bonus points for finishing the race, you are bad ass. Smart to get checked out at the hospital, so many people don't bother.  Heal quickly and take your time getting back on the bike.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: June 23, 2016, 02:19:29 pm »

Think most people will answer this by how their schedules are and if they are morning or evening people.

My Mon/Wed club rides start at 6pm so I need to leave between 5-5:30 depending on where the start is. Don't get home until 8-8:30. So I tend to try and eat something at 4pm and then again once I get home. I always carry snacks and gels with me on the ride in case I still need more energy.

I loved it when I was commuting to work. A nice 15k ride into work and some days I would leave early to do extra. Then same thing coming home. Some days I was able to log 80-100k just from doing extra on my commute.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: June 23, 2016, 02:20:33 pm »
Rode out to the Flying Monkey for coffee today and while sitting there 3 women from the Cdn Olympic team road in.  :D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4289 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »
Crashed during the race on Tuesday.

But how is the bike?  ;D

Glad you are ok and bonus points for finishing the race, you are bad ass. Smart to get checked out at the hospital, so many people don't bother.  Heal quickly and take your time getting back on the bike.

I think the bike was fine, haven't really looked in detail, it is still in the back of my girlfriend's car as I couldn't drive home.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: June 23, 2016, 04:05:19 pm »
Rode out to the Flying Monkey for coffee today and while sitting there 3 women from the Cdn Olympic team road in.  :D

:ttiwwp:

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: June 23, 2016, 04:54:09 pm »
Crashed during the race on Tuesday.  Off sick at the moment, still very sore.  Nothing broken though, and no brain issues. (Update, hospital just called, two small rib fractures.  No wonder I'm finding it so hard to get out of bed!)

I think I came off on a corner on the second lap, can't really remember, although GPS data shows where I was.  Took around 8 mins to steady myself and stop being winded, got back on and finished the race!

Uggg...maybe time to start wearing a lightweight pressure vest (Forcefield) or something.

Get well soon.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:08:00 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4292 on: June 23, 2016, 04:59:50 pm »

Good lord, man!  Look after yourself.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #4293 on: June 23, 2016, 05:08:16 pm »
You need a new helmet. Bring that one back to the dealer, you may get a break on the price of the new one. And get well soon!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4294 on: June 23, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »
I told you that you can't day dream with that sport! ;D
If you're not falling off, you're not learning anything. Well done! :winner: O0
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »

:ttiwwp:

I only got two of their names. Just google Laura Brown and Georgia Simmerling.....for some reason I would feel creepy posting pictures of them.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: June 24, 2016, 08:41:58 am »
My friend sent me a picture of her bike computer from the 300k ride. Sub 12 hours (riding time) is incredible.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: June 24, 2016, 08:54:34 am »

That doesn't look too bad.  ;) Get well soon!
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #4298 on: June 24, 2016, 11:35:44 am »

I thought riding motorcycles on the street was dangerous. Get well !

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: June 28, 2016, 05:03:51 pm »
Got my BOB YAK trailer out to haul stuff down to Paris for a picnic ride today. Had 13 people show up. Fun times.