Author Topic: Feature: Ottawa to Chicago in a 2012 Subaru Impreza sedan  (Read 7440 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Ottawa to Chicago in a 2012 Subaru Impreza sedan
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:10 am »

A 2,600-km drive from Ottawa to the Chicago Auto Show and back in a 2012 Subaru Impreza sedan proved revealing.

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Feature: Ottawa to Chicago in a 2012 Subaru Impreza sedan
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:06 am »
After one five-hour plus run, I emerged from the car feeling stiff – who wouldn’t?It sounds like an endurance test. I make a point of stopping every 2 hours. While living in West germany this was the recommended and tested best time period to drive long distances. I also have it useful in driving from Melbourne to Perth to Darwin http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/1711705237/

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:47 am »
I can tell you from experience that a five hour straight drive is NOT recommended medically. Regardless of your age, blood clots resulting from immobility on long drives, plane trips, etc. is a REAL possibility. Happened to me 2 years ago on a long trip because I found it difficult to stop and take a short break due to road conditions, night, etc. I now take a break to get gas, stretch, get a coffee, or just pull off the road to a side road every 1-1.5 hours. Good planning of a trip helps with this and usually results in minimal extra time.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:33 am »
I cannot see the point of this car except its AWD system. But a good set of winter tires can handle this as well for a FWD. So pass for me
Bombastic

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:43:39 pm »
Nothing says "Dodge" like cupcakes.  Who's the marketing genious?  :rofl:

C&D just tested an Impreza with CVT, and found that it fails to deliver on all of Subaru's promises: it's slower, noisier and less economical to run when compared with the manual version - in the real-world, they achieved 22mpg avg with the CVT car, and much better with the manual version (general industry trend: manuals do worse in ratings but better in real life).  From their review, you'd expect the Impreza to finish dead last in a compact comparo.  Both versions are slower than the previous-gen car.

Having seen the cars in person at the Montreal Auto Show, they're off my radar.  The interior is just too cheap to look at / touch.  AWD is not worth the numerous compromises.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »
Another review of a CVT-equipped Impreza. I'm looking forward to an eventual test drive of a 5 speed manual version.

The CVT version is not on my radar. The 5 speed could be.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:24:24 pm »
After one five-hour plus run, I emerged from the car feeling stiff – who wouldn’t?It sounds like an endurance test. I make a point of stopping every 2 hours. While living in West germany this was the recommended and tested best time period to drive long distances. I also have it useful in driving from Melbourne to Perth to Darwin http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/1711705237/
stiff after 5 hours , :o,  take this car off the list,
ok,  it was never on my list  ;D

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:32:14 pm »
It feels like the only thing really keeping Subaru high on many people's buy list is its awd system.  This car just doesn't win in any category for me against its competition.   It doesn't look good.  Fuel Econ isn't great.  Cvt?  Spare me the pain.  It's almost like Subaru wants to make ugly cars for the Birkenstock crowd who don't want to be flashy.  Hey wait, I own 2 pairs of Birkenstocks, why don't I own a Subaru?

As a side note, why is Bluetooth still an option for cars in Canada?  I still see dozens of idiots in Toronto  driving with their cells at their heads.
I cannot see the point of this car except its AWD system. But a good set of winter tires can handle this as well for a FWD. So pass for me

Ditto with everybody.....seems like all wheel drive is the 0NLY reason to go with Subaru, more so with a  :hurl: cvt hurting it.....and less power/torque to boot.   :(
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:20 pm »
Another review of a CVT-equipped Impreza. I'm looking forward to an eventual test drive of a 5 speed manual version.

Problem is that puts you in the minority among the car-buying public, and the press fleets are geared to the cars they figure will be volume sellers. Also, Subaru is keen to push its new tech in the media, and so most Impreza reviews will be about CVT-equipped models.
I used to work here.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:07 pm »

Problem is that puts you in the minority among the car-buying public, and the press fleets are geared to the cars they figure will be volume sellers. Also, Subaru is keen to push its new tech in the media, and so most Impreza reviews will be about CVT-equipped models.

Didn't you mean to say..."so most Impreza reviews will be about CVT-equipped models and how bad they are" ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »

Problem is that puts you in the minority among the car-buying public, and the press fleets are geared to the cars they figure will be volume sellers.

Not always.  Sometimes the press cars are the ones that need all the press they can get because they are turkeys...or are currently lukewarm sellers.  Other times, the press cars are the loaded to the gunwales type.  Every option...including the kitchen sink!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »
When will we get a review with a manual transmission? Anyone found one?

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:17 am »
 ???How about testing another flavor Subaru, this one doesn't Impreza me no more.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 11:02:18 am »
Seems to me Subaru has on theory image of bullet proof reliability and highest resale value. Considering the car is available without AWD on some overseas markets, I'm asking myself what else left making Subaru desirable?

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 11:12:41 am »

Check this one from Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-subaru-impreza-sedan-road-test-review

They seemed to like it more than the CVT-equipped Impreza (reviewed later on), but they weren't thrilled either.  Downsizing the engine really seemed to impact the performance, and they didn't see vastly improved mileage either (though C&D never does well with FE).

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:27:47 am »

Check this one from Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-subaru-impreza-sedan-road-test-review

They seemed to like it more than the CVT-equipped Impreza (reviewed later on), but they weren't thrilled either.  Downsizing the engine really seemed to impact the performance, and they didn't see vastly improved mileage either (though C&D never does well with FE).

As I subscribe to Car and Driver, I remember seeing that Short Take. The main point is that the less powerful engine is... well... less powerful. There are no useful comments about the manual transmission itself (gearing, ease of shifting, clutch uptake...).

At some point, Autos.ca will probably get a manual version for review.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:35 am »
CVT..... :hurl: Come on, its an impreza, I know its the WRX or the STi....but still, I dont know what Subaru was thinking about when it stuck a less powerful motor into an allready borderline underpowered car. The 2.5 wasnt a leaning tower of power but it was ok.....barely, couldnt imagine going back to an engine that as powerful as the really old 2.2. Im waiting for the only versions of the Impreza that actually matter.....the kind with a snail under the hood, an LSD in the rear diff and a proper manual gearbox between the driver and the passenger.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:27 pm »
... The 2.5 wasnt a leaning tower of power but it was ok.....barely.....

It wasn't a leaning tower of power but I would say it's up a notch or three from barely. Go directly from a smaller engine competitor, such as a NA 2.0L (read: NON-turbo) Golf or a 2.0L Mazda 3 and the extra torque of the 2.5L is immediately apparent and felt.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 12:21:48 pm »
I drove one back in 2005, it was an allright engine but in a heavy car with awd it wasnt exactly amazing. I didnt mind the engine at all, dont get me wrong, its just weird to me that Subaru would have gone backwards in terms of power thats all.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:59 pm »
I gotta think it's all due to CAFE.

As 2016 approaches I have to think we are going to see more and more "depowered" offerings as manufacturers try and hit the FE standards.