Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport  (Read 10178 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:05:08 am »

Fans of Ford's original Explorer Sport probably wouldn't recognize this new one. Paul Williams suggests that's a good thing.

Read More...

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Re: First Drive: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:07:19 am »
$50k huh?

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:29 am »
This thing looks stunning in that deep red colour.  Very impressive.  I think it's worth $50K.  It looks to be the size of an X5 or bigger and while I realize it doesn't have the cache, even a little (by comparison) X3 with similar option goes for about $50K.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:43:07 am »
That looks great!  But omg that's a lot of $$$ for an Explorer...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:58:51 am »
I like the black grill, but I wonder how it'll stand against rock chips over time...

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:23:00 am »

Fans of Ford's original Explorer Sport probably wouldn't recognize this new one. Paul Williams suggests that's a good thing.

Read More...

I ended up buying one and thus far I am impressed. In terms of size, it's a bit larger than an X5 (sitting in the back row of the optional 3rd row of a BMW is unpleasant and not for any adult) and in the Explorer it's not bad. By the time you add in all the features it's roughly half the price of an X5 similarly equipped. It feels solid (more so than the regular Explorer), and handles competently. Does it handle like a BMW? No, but it's not a barge either and soaks up bumps such as railroad crossings better than a BMW, drives straight and cleanly on the highway. I had a BMW 5 series wagon and hopefully this Ford is more reliable. Cons: dead pedal is a bit awkward, and the adaptive cruise control cuts out below 25(ish) kph.  Pros: size (the cabin is spacious), features (people can complain about the My Ford Touch, but remember, a lot of complaints were lobbed at BMW's iDrive as well), and fit and finish are just a half-notch down from a BMW (although I'd say the paint job is better on the Ford - no orange peel). I compared it to JX35 and Toyota Highlander, but felt this was a better deal in the end. That said, it was a close call with the JX35.

Offline dewey9315

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:05:01 pm »

If you're looking to spend $50,000 on a crossover/SUV, I bet your money goes alot further on this than buying the badge of a BMW, Merc, or Audi.....

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:35:47 am »

If you're looking to spend $50,000 on a crossover/SUV, I bet your money goes alot further on this than buying the badge of a BMW, Merc, or Audi.....

That's definitely true.  Your money does go a lot further here.

What do people expect this thing to cost, $40K? Maybe less?  That's ridiculous.  I would like the new 3 series to be fully loaded for $30K, but I'd be dreaming also.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:42:55 am »

What do people expect this thing to cost, $40K? Maybe less?  That's ridiculous.  I would like the new 3 series to be fully loaded for $30K, but I'd be dreaming also.

Price out similarly equipped vehicles of the same size (Dodge Durango, GM Acadia/Enclave, Infiniti JX35) and you'll end up virtually at the same price point...the only exception is the Toyota Highlander and it's not as nicely equipped. Acura MDX and others are a few $K higher.  I guess if you're comparing these to minivans, then perhaps they have a point...sort of...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2108
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:46:51 am »
For less, you can have a Pilot, which, well its a Honda, youll be bored before it will crap out on you. I dont know, paying $50K for a Explorer is not happening. The old version with the V8 in an Eddie Bauer version was almost worth it, but this...no thanks.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:41 pm »

Price out similarly equipped vehicles of the same size (Dodge Durango, GM Acadia/Enclave, Infiniti JX35) and you'll end up virtually at the same price point...the only exception is the Toyota Highlander and it's not as nicely equipped. Acura MDX and others are a few $K higher.  I guess if you're comparing these to minivans, then perhaps they have a point...sort of...

Agreed.  Any fully equipped SUV in this segment is gonna cost you around the same as this.  IMO, it's right on par with others in it's class.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:37:32 pm »
For less, you can have a Pilot, which, well its a Honda, youll be bored before it will crap out on you. I dont know, paying $50K for a Explorer is not happening. The old version with the V8 in an Eddie Bauer version was almost worth it, but this...no thanks.

As someone who spent a year driving a 2010 Limited V8, this new one makes the old one seem like something from John Deere.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:45:33 pm by Cord »
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »

As someone who spent a year driving a 2011 Limited V8, this new one makes the old one seem like something from John Deere.

As an Albertan, a comparison to John Deere isnt that bad of a thing.....perhaps a Harley Davidson????  ;D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »
Ok....so one guy buys this new Explorer and the other buys a Bimmer or similar. Both may be similarly equipped and up to the task. The question stands. How do the residual values compare a year or two later. Unless your planning on keeping this Ford for the long haul, my money is on the BMW or similar simply based on residual market value. You can argue it's not fare by the market has no feelings is shallow and simply becoming more pretentious.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »
Ok....so one guy buys this new Explorer and the other buys a Bimmer or similar. Both may be similarly equipped and up to the task. The question stands. How do the residual values compare a year or two later. Unless your planning on keeping this Ford for the long haul, my money is on the BMW or similar simply based on residual market value. You can argue it's not fare by the market has no feelings is shallow and simply becoming more pretentious.

I dont know, the thing is the X5's residual values are pretty bad as far as I know....might be a case of 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Like most premium brands, if people are going to buy a BMW, they want the shiny, brand new model. With a Ford, there is no second thoughts with picking up a used one.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 01:37:22 pm »

A BMW X5 starts at $61800 before freight or any options for the 300hp version.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 01:49:26 pm »
Base model anything will depreciate less.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 02:34:25 pm »

I dont know, the thing is the X5's residual values are pretty bad as far as I know....might be a case of 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Like most premium brands, if people are going to buy a BMW, they want the shiny, brand new model. With a Ford, there is no second thoughts with picking up a used one.

Proof is in the pudding according to Kelley Blue Book (U.S. figures). There is a large market for used premium nameplate vehicles. No Fords not even the venerable F-150.

2011 Best Resale Value: Top 10 Models in Alphabetical order.

Audi A5
    BMW X5
    BMW X6
    Honda CR-V
    Jeep Wrangler
    Lexus GX
    Lexus RX
    Subaru Outback
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Toyota Tacoma

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2011-best-resale-value-awards/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:48:06 pm by redman »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »
To compare pricing, the Traverse LTZ starts at $48k. 

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:43 pm »

Proof is in the pudding according to Kelley Blue Book (U.S. figures). There is a large market for used premium nameplate vehicles. No Fords not even the venerable F-150.

2011 Best Resale Value: Top 10 Models in Alphabetical order.

Audi A5
    BMW X5
    BMW X6
    Honda CR-V
    Jeep Wrangler
    Lexus GX
    Lexus RX
    Subaru Outback
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Toyota Tacoma

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2011-best-resale-value-awards/

First question: how long would you keep a car? If you're continuously switching, then leasing makes more sense. Second question: After the warranty runs out on a BMW what happens to the residual value?  (I'll answer that - it plummets because NOBODY in their right mind would want to pay for the maintenance and repairs). I'll bet you the one you quote looks at value after 3 years. Personally, I buy to keep for the long term (8 years or more if possible), not to trade.