Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Fit  (Read 12148 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Honda Fit
« on: November 05, 2012, 06:04:19 am »

The little FIt represents the best of Honda engineering creativity, says Jonathan Yarkony.

Read More...

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Fit
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:06:59 am »
Isn't it a bit late to review the 2012 when the 2013 is out? (At least according to the Honda.ca website.)

I don't see the appeal of getting a DX-A with automatic when you can get an LX for only about $1,000 more?  ???

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:37:01 am »
I think the review is spot on, and endorse the central theme that the Fit is the most "Honda" of Hondas.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:19 am »
What's with the crazy freight charges on the Civic and CRV?  Good gouging Honda.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:50:48 am »
  Two cars up for review today. One that is in, or nearly so, a resonable price point for all and inovative and useful and in demand seemingly. But in short supply by one account. The other panders to un-realistic senses at an enormous price. One you can't get and the other...maybe one or two can afford who will then be frustrated by not being able to use its attributes.
  The Fit is the design tour de-force this morning IMO.

Offline Adam D

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:10:53 am »
I just traded in my 2007 LX fit a couple of months. In many ways it was a good car. It could hold a lot of stuff. It handled well. It did what I needed it to. That being said, it was loud--even with the undercoating that I got suckered into buying. The paint was soft and there were signs of bubbling (rust) when I traded it this summer. I had to change the tumblers in the drivers side lock and the spring for the hatch handle. It ate tires like crazy (a coworker also had one and had teh same complaint). For the last year that I had the car it spuddered to the point that I was nervous to take it on a long trip. When I took it to the dealer they could not find the problem. In many ways the Fit was quite a dissappointment. Prior to the fit we had a civic hatch that had close to 300 000km--only ever had to do routine maintenence. Too bad that stanard of reliability does not seem to exist anymore (mind you mine could have been a lemon) Needless to say I did not buy another Honda.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:15 am »
Thanks for the review.

Had the opportunity to test drive a 2013 Sentra at the home show yesterday. The content in vehicles has really gone up. The Fit no longer seems like a great value to me, considering the fuel economy isn't all that by today's standards. The competition has got fierce. For 23K in a topped out Sentra you get leather,Nav, rear camera, sunroof and push start as an example. I think Honda has to sharpen the pencils if they plan to compete in the new market. This car pushes 22K and has half the content, less space and worse rated fuel economy.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:14:03 am »
I've never driven the Fit but I do thinks it's a cool little car. I check them out whenever I've taken one of our Hondas in for service. They strike me as a sharp looking, cleverly designed little car.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:01 am »
Made in China for 2013.  Off my shopping list.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:55:38 am »
JY says: "The Honda Fit is a great car whose only drawback is a steep and inflexible price in a class that sells on price."

I'll admit that's the primary drawback for consumers, but the next sentence uncovers some pretty big ones too:

JY: "While other vehicles in the segment pile on the features (Accent, Rio) or offer multiple body styles and more power (Sonic, Fiesta)"

The lack of options (either "feature" options, body style options, or engine options) is starting to kill the Fit.  3-4 years ago folks would overlook the fact that they couldn't get a sunroof or heated seats or a USB connection in the base model (or a sedan bodystyle or engine upgrade, etc.), because the competition was either terrible - average (Aveo, Yaris, Accent, Rio, Versa) or non-existant (no Mazda2, Fiesta, Sonic).  But now there is great competition in the sub-compact class, and Fit sales are lagging accordingly:
 http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/10/september-2012-canada-car-sales-figures.html#more

While the Fit sales are doing much better than last year, it's still far behind the mainstream subcompacts and is even outsold by the Mini Cooper and Fiat 500.  Building the vehicle in China may turn off some folks, but obviously (most) folks in North America aren't willing to pay the premium required to produce it in Japan, either. 

I hope Honda can give the Fit the update it deserves, because the interior packaging is awesome.  And we have to thank the Fit, in no small part, for the current crop of excellent subcompacts - Honda showed the other MNFRs that small cars sold in North America don't have to suck!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:00:50 am »
Made in China OK. Designed in Japan OK.  I am waiting patiently for the Mk3 Fit and hoping that they don't bugger it up with a CVT or a Hybrid power train.  Just another 15 bhp and a 6 spd manual will do for Mrs tpl.

I would say that for us the utility and the reliability of our Mk1 Fit makes the price immaterial in the range that it is in. She will buy a hatchback with an MT.   But unless the other small cars have the utility of the Fit we would not look at them...maybe move up one in size to a Mazda 5
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 11:04:48 am »
Just another 15 bhp and a 6 spd manual will do for Mrs tpl.

Me too!  Though adding a few more creature comforts wouldn't hurt either...

But unless the other small cars have the utility of the Fit we would not look at them...maybe move up one in size to a Mazda 5

Isn't a Mazda5 up two sizes?  But I guess the Mazda3, although a compact, doesn't have the interior volume of the Fit.  How about a Kia Soul? That has similar room to the Fit.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 11:09:10 am »
I hope Honda can give the Fit the update it deserves, because the interior packaging is awesome.  And we have to thank the Fit, in no small part, for the current crop of excellent subcompacts - Honda showed the other MNFRs that small cars sold in North America don't have to suck!
i agree...i've always liked the Fit myself...it really depends on what you want out of a car...if practicality and resale are tops, you can't beat it...myself, i wanted lots of features to keep me happy for 10 years and still get a decent little car...the Rio5 SX fit that bill perfectly.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 11:11:54 am »
My wife's Fit has been absolutely bulletproof - and a hoot to drive as well.  Other than another forward gear, I don't wish for much.  A few more ponies would make me smile (they always do) but I can't really say the car needs it.

Others go the route of stuffing every imaginable option in their vehicles - and I'm sure that will appeal to many buyers.  In this car, Honda excelled at the basics which many competitors lack - responsive steering, athletic handling and a better manual transmission than you will find anywhere near its price.  Oh, and more practicality in transporting cargo than you would likely believe.  If I had to choose between those virtues and satnav / killer stereo / voice interface and whathaveyou - I'll take those virtues.  Others will choose differently.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 11:19:20 am »
I'm a bit retentive on the safety side, but all those safety features won't counter the laws of physics.  A lightweight compact car is more dangerous in a collision due to the forces on your body from rapid deceleration.  No airbag in the world will keep your brain in place when you go from 50km/hr forward to 15 km/hr backward in less than a second.

I cringe when I see a family of 4 stuffed into one of these things.

Look at the Accord vs Fit crash test done to show the danger of subcompacts - scary.

For $22k you can get a nice used Accord and peace of mind.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 11:23:04 am »
Made in China for 2013.  Off my shopping list.

Aren't 2012s also made in China for the Canadian market?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 11:28:59 am »
Made in China OK. Designed in Japan OK.  I am waiting patiently for the Mk3 Fit and hoping that they don't bugger it up with a CVT or a Hybrid power train.  Just another 15 bhp and a 6 spd manual will do for Mrs tpl.

I would say that for us the utility and the reliability of our Mk1 Fit makes the price immaterial in the range that it is in. She will buy a hatchback with an MT.   But unless the other small cars have the utility of the Fit we would not look at them...maybe move up one in size to a Mazda 5

I have a similar sentiment.
I traded the Fit for my current 328i but I still miss the little Fit. Making the Fit quieter with a few more ponies would rekindle my love for it. Perfect commute car with room for people and cargo when you need it.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 11:43:36 am »
I'm a bit retentive on the safety side, but all those safety features won't counter the laws of physics.  A lightweight compact car is more dangerous in a collision due to the forces on your body from rapid deceleration.  No airbag in the world will keep your brain in place when you go from 50km/hr forward to 15 km/hr backward in less than a second.

I cringe when I see a family of 4 stuffed into one of these things.

Look at the Accord vs Fit crash test done to show the danger of subcompacts - scary.

For $22k you can get a nice used Accord and peace of mind.

How do you even get out of bed in the morning. ::)

I grew up with some genuinely dangerous small cars, like the Austin American. I have no qualms with the safety of anything on the road now.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:54 am »
Honda Fit is a very good car...without a real market here. It's a really very wisely done wagon, but a marginally better fuel economy, the high price new/used and the smallest size (naturally) makes it low volume sold. It's a good car for overseas may be, but the sales here are talking themselves. Matrix is comparable on price/reliability...but size! And they sale them by tons!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 11:57:39 am »
It's really a practical car and a great solution for some.

Many people have a larger vehicle for cargo duties, so I'm not sure if that's as big an advantage in the real world. It also a bit pricey, and behind in features.

The current version reminds me of a mini Renault Espace or similar people carrier.