Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring  (Read 15925 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:31:49 am »

With its powerful and smooth V6 and a new six-speed automatic, the 2013 Accord sedan feels more like an entry-level luxury sedan.

Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:48:29 am »
Seems like Honda has stepped up their game with the new Accord - I like pretty much everything I've read about it - and this test vehicle seems like very solid value at $36k.

I do wish the styling weren't quite so Ward Cleaver.  And while I appreciate that it's no sports sedan, I'd like to have paddle shifters even though they would  only see occasional use.  Since they are standard on the V6 Coupe, it would probably be cheaper to just build all V6 Accords this way.

Not a huge deal to me, but split folding rear seats seems like an odd omission of an expected feature in a family sedan.  And I continue to dislike their center stack with the main screen stuck waaaay back in a dark cave.  Seems obvious, but I find these screens easier to read if they are closer to me.  When I read a book, I don't try to stretch my arms as far from my body as they will reach.

The previous Accord was a complete non-contender when I was last shopping - as was the previous Camry.  I'd give both a close look were I shopping now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:56:54 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:08 am »
Top notch.........a few quibbles...........I'd have the speedo showing zero to 120 from 6pm to noon.....then the above speeds squished fron noon to 4pm............why have half the dials showing 140-260KPH!!! silly....OH and for Ontario a BIG KLAXON when ya hit 149KPH :rofl:

yeah the small pass thru deal could be a problemo...same in my old Mazda Millennia  probably a stiffness factor ;) ....once you cut out half the backbone of the upper car.........managed to live with it before..but prolly only missed that feature a few times......now with a granddaughter
 may be more of an issue  (in reality tho' who is gonna wrestle with a kids car seat for a Sunday ride.....borrow Papa's car....)
   I'm leaning towards the 6CYLINDER (is it honestly $3.7K more than the equivalent 4 cyl CVT?..or are there "perks" missed??)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:43 am »
I agree with Saf that the higher speeds could well be compressed on the dial in Canada.

My question is:   Are the LED projector lights as bright as HIDs are and do these particular ones have a good euro pattern with the sharp cutoff.  I see no signs of headlight washers in the photos and as these lights will be cold as the LEDs do not generate much heat they will get covered in ice and snow very quickly...which is a very bad thing in our climate.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:06:21 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:27:05 am »
Before all, I like the article and no less I'm a fan of the subject - the '13 V6 Accord. I even like the cave for the screen, it's better than poping-up Euro style displays. And something more - this deep installed display is much better visible in bright light. Plus I did find the buttons in the middle acceptably organized and handy. Being a solid overall car makes me forgiving about the rear folding seats. If the new six speed auto is a reliable one (Honda has a history of first year tranies' problems) I make this car my number one pretender to buy it!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:18 am »
AT the price (for the Touring V6)  if they only sold a wagon or a hatchback or with a DSG rather than a slushbox it would be, to me, a good competitor for the not-yet-arrived  2014 GTI.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:03 am »
I even like the cave for the screen, it's better than poping-up Euro style displays. And something more - this deep installed display is much better visible in bright light.

Pop-ups are hardly the only alternative.  My current and previous (Altima) cars are / were equipped with screens flush with the center stack.  I find glare to be a complete non-issue.  The Altima had a tiltable screen to adjust for glare - I pretty much never used it in 4 years.  More significantly, I find the information displayed on these screens easier to read at a glance because said information is closer to my eyes.  The advantage of a larger screen is progressively diminished the further it is moved away from the driver.

AT the price (for the Touring V6)  if they only sold a wagon or a hatchback or with a DSG rather than a slushbox it would be, to me, a good competitor for the not-yet-arrived  2014 GTI.

At least they don't force you to take a CVT here.  Even with DSG and a hatch, I have a hard time seeing this as a GTI competitor.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:00 am »
Jaeger... I said  "to me"   :)   Although at some (aka lots of )  expense in tire life I would not be surprised if it could not get round a race course and not be left too far behind the GTI.  Horsepower has a quality all of its own.  Anyway, being an old fart I don't drive like the maniac I once was any more. :'(

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:07 am »
It looks like Honda has got their mojo back. I would choose the manual/4-cylinder sedan personally, but regardless I think there is a lot of value in this car.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:50:34 am »
Glad to see the Accord is getting back on track. Too bad about the folding rear seats and pass-through. Was the '12 V6 offered with a stick? - I recall an Accord V6 could be had with a stick in one of the more recent years?

I always liked the interior and console of the Accord.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:49 am »
That makes us wonder why the $35,290 Accord V6 Touring commands a hefty $3,700 premium over the Accord I4 CVT Touring model when the only difference is the powertrain.

Me too.  The I-4 Touring is a MUCH better buy, and Honda is asking too much for the V-6.  Yeah, the final price is not bad, but compared to the I-4 pricing, it's too high.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:19:20 am »

With its powerful and smooth V6 and a new six-speed automatic, the 2013 Accord sedan feels more like an entry-level luxury sedan.

Read More...

Seems to be a solid car and value.  Good standard features.  I wonder if the LaneWatch Blind Spot monitor is defeatable.  Like if the passenger is doing something that uses the screen where image would go, and I signal, does the image override whatever she was doing.  That could be a pain.  Don't get me wrong it's cool, but I would hate to have that replaced, that would be an expensive part. 

The centre stack and layout, to me, makes the car look trendy.  As with the features that read out text messages.  The Buick Regal was mentioned as a competitor, I would rather have the Lacrosse, the Buick Regal Turbo goes for $36k, you can get a midlevel Lacrosse with the 3.6L (305HP) for the same price.  And it looks more stylish and premium to me.  Draw back is the smaller trunk, but at least it has split seats. 

Good Article, whats next 5 pages next month on the Coupe?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:16 am »

Read More...

Seems to be a solid car and value.  Good standard features.  I wonder if the LaneWatch Blind Spot monitor is defeatable.  Like if the passenger is doing something that uses the screen where image would go, and I signal, does the image override whatever she was doing.  That could be a pain.  Don't get me wrong it's cool, but I would hate to have that replaced, that would be an expensive part. 

The centre stack and layout, to me, makes the car look trendy.  As with the features that read out text messages.  The Buick Regal was mentioned as a competitor, I would rather have the Lacrosse, the Buick Regal Turbo goes for $36k, you can get a midlevel Lacrosse with the 3.6L (305HP) for the same price.  And it looks more stylish and premium to me.  Draw back is the smaller trunk, but at least it has split seats. 

Good Article, whats next 5 pages next month on the Coupe?

Two, maybe three pages on the V6 Manual Coupe ;D

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:09:57 am »
I like the bigger speedo with satalite other gauges and think agree with the comments on numbering orientation. Very nice vehicle and I like it. Even the lowly Accent had a 60/40 split back seat...what were they thinking.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10:59 am »
Liking this new Accord in 4 cyl auto lx form.
I wish we could dump our p-i-t-a '11 Sonata for one.

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:08 am »
Very good car and at $36k, great value. The Accord is rocking the family sedan segment (if that's possible).

I would happily own one as a daily driver.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:21 am »

My question is:   Are the LED projector lights as bright as HIDs are and do these particular ones have a good euro pattern with the sharp cutoff.  I see no signs of headlight washers in the photos and as these lights will be cold as the LEDs do not generate much heat they will get covered in ice and snow very quickly...which is a very bad thing in our climate.

I can tell you that these LED lights are definitely NOT as bright as HIDs are. They are about as bright as really good regular halogens. I'm sorry I can't tell you more about the dispersion and cutoff.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:29:14 am »
From the review:
"and that’s without a stop/start engine idle feature that many automakers are now using as a convenient tool to lower fuel consumption figures."

I was under the impression the the stop/start feature does NOT appreciably lower fuel consumption figures (i.e. the EPA/NRC testing procedure is not designed to account for prolonged idling at stop lights) - but does lower real-world fuel consumption.  And therefore NA MNFRs have been reluctant to include this technology, as it shows little to no MPG benefit on the Monroney.  Has this changed somehow?

As for the Accord, looks like a big step in the right direction for Honda.  Definitely would be on my test drive list, if in the market for a family sedan.  The lack of split-folding seats does seem like a poor choice though - structural integrity is already compromised (by the "all in one" folding seat), so why not make it reasonably functional and let it split in half?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 10:37:26 am »
Liking this new Accord in 4 cyl auto lx form.
I wish we could dump our p-i-t-a '11 Sonata for one.

Really? I hear so much praise for the new Sonata...and equally good car, no?

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 10:49:18 am »
That's impressive fuel economy out of a big V6.