Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Honda CR-V Touring  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Honda CR-V Touring
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:05:33 am »

It's not hard to see why the Honda CR-V is so popular, in spite of its shortcomings.

Read More...

Offline Chet

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Honda CR-V Touring
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:57:25 am »
It might be a good vehicle, but to my eyes it's one of the ugliest things ever to be put on the road. I'd rather look at a Pontiac Aztec.

Chet

freestyler

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:16:12 am »
Test drove one right after a mazda cx5 last month.  I really really wanted to like the cx5, and I did, to a certain degree.  It was somewhat fun to drive, and looks pretty sharp from the outside.  Then I tried the crv, and it's just at a different level than the cx5.  Everything is more intuitive, more spacious, and looks & feels more upscale (I drove the mid-trim levels of both cars).  From the get go, it makes you feel right at home, and you drive it without thinking about driving it.  Know what I mean?  I guess for people who want a sporty feel, this is probably not for them.  But for family transportation, it hits the bulleye.

What did I not like?  Well, I really hate the looks of the bulbous rear liftgate.  It's hideous, and ruins the look from the back.  The current generation is just fine, why did they have to change it just for sake of getting a new body?

By the way, I'm no Honda fanboy.  Never owned a Honda in my life.  But I would get the new crv in a heartbeat if the price is competitive.  I just have to close my eyes every time I approach it from the back.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:55 am »
I still find the price high; it's in 6-cyl territory when only offering a 4-cyl. A plus though are the numerous reports of how well it relatively drives. The cargo is nicely squared.

It appears that they replaced the old 'slip and grip' AWD with another slip and grip.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:31 am »
What did I not like?  Well, I really hate the looks of the bulbous rear liftgate.  It's hideous, and ruins the look from the back.  The current generation is just fine, why did they have to change it just for sake of getting a new body?

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I much prefer the look of the new CR-V, plus it gives a much more usable cargo area. I have a problem with CUV/SUV's where their exterior styling compromises interior/cargo utility. Not sure if the new CR-V will be a big enough step up in terms of cargo capacity from our current Sportage, but we'll definintely take a look when it's time.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:31 am »
CR-V is the only Honda product that still keeps on up to the level of it's very first gen. I thinks the evolutionary aproach to 2012 is right and is winning in terms of sales and image of the benchmark in the class. From here comes the price of 6 cyl territory...But it's funny for me the polatizing look - I personally like the back and hardly accept this undefined and questionable front with the grill, although no interior issues for me.

markierant

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:38 am »
Everything is more intuitive, more spacious, and looks & feels more upscale (I drove the mid-trim levels of both cars). 

Upscale?  I have to disagree, spacious and intuitive sure, but IMO the materials looked and felt cheap, having sat in one, the interior design overall looks like a step back in time, specially the IP - the plastic speedo suround just loks like a kids toy to me (I guess it's better than the 2 tier civic  ::)).  As for the outside, as any other Honda offering of late, it hasn't changed that much, and I agree the older gen back end looked better.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:55:23 am »
I do not like the looks of the previous gen. and this one looks worse to my eyes.   Honda needs to take some styling lessons to keep up with some of the competition.  The interior, however, is a huge improvement.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:25 am »
I still find the price high; it's in 6-cyl territory when only offering a 4-cyl. A plus though are the numerous reports of how well it relatively drives. The cargo is nicely squared.

This segment is moving away from using V6s anyways. CX-5, CX-7, new Escape, and new SWB Santa Fe are all four cylinder only.

I rented the previous generation model last summer and I was disappointed. Inside felt pretty cheap and it was definitely underpowered. The transmission downshifted a lot, and not smoothly either. Even the slight inclines on the highway between Edmonton and Calgary caused it to go down a gear.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:01:40 am »

This segment is moving away from using V6s anyways. CX-5, CX-7, new Escape, and new SWB Santa Fe are all four cylinder only.

I rented the previous generation model last summer and I was disappointed. Inside felt pretty cheap and it was definitely underpowered. The transmission downshifted a lot, and not smoothly either. Even the slight inclines on the highway between Edmonton and Calgary caused it to go down a gear.

While I agree that the segment is moving away from V6s, they have turbos added (2013 Santa Fe Sport) to provide similar amount of power for the similar price.

As for the interior, it all depends on what the buyer is used to.  If he/she is coming from a compact car with under par interior materials, then the new CR-V's interior might look 'luxurious' to them.

Exterior-wise, the fat rear end does provide more cargo space, but it just looks bad to me.  Front end looks okay.  It's all personal I suppose.

For $33K+, I'm going with the new Santa Fe Sport w/o Nav.

Never Satisfied

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 11:49:15 am »
I'm in the market for one of these things myself. Only because they can all haul a small trailer. I like Mazdas ( sat in a CX5 ) and also the style of the Tuscon ( sat in that one too ) I looked at this Honda, opened up the back door, etc, but did not sit inside. I don't like the back styling either. And, actually, the CX5 is not perfect in the styling department either. I am not sure if I trust Hyundai and Kia yet ( Sportage ) even though they are vastly improved products. I go to Edmunds and read the personal stories about engine failure and the like of various models that I am interested in. Makes you stop and think. Same thing for Chevy products. Are they safe yet? To buy, I mean.  I am finding this to be a tough assignment picking the right one for me. At 27,500 roughly, I can get something that I can live with. They are all about the same price for the things that I want. I want styling, fuel efficiency, the goodies and up to date gimmicks, reliability, ( I want them to be perfect mechanically - no disappointments whatsoever ), practicality and price. I know that I will wake up one day and it will all fall into place. But, I am not there yet. And, then of course, Ford is coming out with the new turbo Escape just to throw a loop into everybody. ::)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:56 pm »

Fair enough, but the price of admission for the above 4-cyl are lower than the CR-V.

Offline Pleem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Equinox
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:34 pm »
I'm in the market for one of these things myself. Only because they can all haul a small trailer. I like Mazdas ( sat in a CX5 ) and also the style of the Tuscon ( sat in that one too ) I looked at this Honda, opened up the back door, etc, but did not sit inside. I don't like the back styling either. And, actually, the CX5 is not perfect in the styling department either. I am not sure if I trust Hyundai and Kia yet ( Sportage ) even though they are vastly improved products. I go to Edmunds and read the personal stories about engine failure and the like of various models that I am interested in. Makes you stop and think. Same thing for Chevy products. Are they safe yet? To buy, I mean.  I am finding this to be a tough assignment picking the right one for me. At 27,500 roughly, I can get something that I can live with. They are all about the same price for the things that I want. I want styling, fuel efficiency, the goodies and up to date gimmicks, reliability, ( I want them to be perfect mechanically - no disappointments whatsoever ), practicality and price. I know that I will wake up one day and it will all fall into place. But, I am not there yet. And, then of course, Ford is coming out with the new turbo Escape just to throw a loop into everybody. ::)

Like you we are shopping for new wheels and would prefer CUV-type vehicle.  The CR-V has earned a place on our short list of candidates, however it's a bit pricey factoring in taxes and delivery charges and for that reason might well be dropped.

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »
Very good paper! Any comment, good or bad, about the new electric power steering?

Many thanks

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »
"plus $1,640 freight" - and how that if the car is build in Canada, Ontario? I hate these clowns that are gouging Canadians....
Bombastic

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:13:26 pm »
Beside the picnic table at the back, Honda also missed the 6 speed manual transmission ..... without the manual transmission they lost my business. ..... .....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »
"plus $1,640 freight" - and how that if the car is build in Canada, Ontario? I hate these clowns that are gouging Canadians....

I can drive two hours south to Grand Forks, North Dakota and pay $830 for "Destination and handling".  I know we're beating a dead horse here.

Not only that, stateside, the base CRV has 8 colour choices instead of Canada's 4.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:33 pm »

has anyone compared the CRV to the new Escape yet? They look so similar...
I was just going to ask the same thing. I've seen a couple of the new Escape's kicking around and I'm curious about real world experiences.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 09:18:50 pm »
$37k?!? Wow. You can get a Venza AWD Touring Package for that.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 09:42:18 am »
Or somewhere between an Outback 3.6R and 3.6R Limited.  :rofl2:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken