Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL sedan  (Read 14388 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL sedan
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:04:28 am »

The all-new Focus sedan is a satisfying driver with good fuel economy but the dual-clutch automatic transmission disappoints.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL sedan
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:09:19 am »
This is no doubt a very nice compact car that holds its own in a pretty polished field. 

I have to wonder just what percentage of Focus sales are in the over $22k region.  Are people really dropping over $30K?  When you hit that level, the competition is no longer Civics and Elantras and Corollas but a wide range of upper middle class finery.

Is Ford actually getting the big bucks in any quantity?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:23:34 am »
This is no doubt a very nice compact car that holds its own in a pretty polished field. 

I have to wonder just what percentage of Focus sales are in the over $22k region.  Are people really dropping over $30K?  When you hit that level, the competition is no longer Civics and Elantras and Corollas but a wide range of upper middle class finery.

Cheers,
John M.

Here in Fredericton I actually quite a few of the Titanium model.  I'm not sure why someone would pay that much for a Ford Focus.  I know there are a lot of features that you can't get on some high end cars but all those features are attached to a economy compact and for me I'd rather have a nicer car and less features.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:20 am »
I have driven both the new Ford Focus and the Fiesta over the past few months as a rental.  I have to say I actually much prefer the Fiesta.  I just find that the dual clutch auto is a bit better in the Fiesta and the Sync system is much easier to use and understand in the Fiesta.  Plus I wasn't really impressed with the fuel economy from the Focus.  It seemed to use roughly 1L/100 km more than the typical Toyota Corolla I get as a rental.  The Fiesta on the other had gets marginally better fuel economy than the Corolla, but much more fun to drive.

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:29:22 am »
  Are people really dropping over $30K?  When you hit that level, the competition is no longer Civics and Elantras and Corollas but a wide range of upper middle class finery.

Agreed. When you layer in the low or zero percent financing offered by Kia and Hyundai, you must really want or need a compact car to ignore the Sonata and Optima.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:33:46 am »
Most of the Focus I've seen downtown are Titaniums.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:51:06 am »

Cheers,
John M.

Here in Fredericton I actually quite a few of the Titanium model.  I'm not sure why someone would pay that much for a Ford Focus.  I know there are a lot of features that you can't get on some high end cars but all those features are attached to a economy compact and for me I'd rather have a nicer car and less features.

As well as in the "frozen" 'Peg (-26 as of this blog) there are quite a few Focus with the titanium trim....and thank God for those heated seats.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 08:54:03 am »

Me too - and by far.  I'm kind of surprised.  Good for Ford, though.

If you forego the MFT and DCT this is a seriously compelling compact, IMO.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:36 am »
  Are people really dropping over $30K?  When you hit that level, the competition is no longer Civics and Elantras and Corollas but a wide range of upper middle class finery.

Agreed. When you layer in the low or zero percent financing offered by Kia and Hyundai, you must really want or need a compact car to ignore the Sonata and Optima.
I think there are still a lot of people, possibly a more prevalent attitude in the USA than in Canada, who just don't want an Asian car even if they are a great deal and a superior product. Even if a Ford ( or Gm or Chrysler) is most made outside NA with parts from almost anywhere it is still an American car to them.  
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 09:08:46 am »
I have driven both the new Ford Focus and the Fiesta over the past few months as a rental.  I have to say I actually much prefer the Fiesta.  I just find that the dual clutch auto is a bit better in the Fiesta and the Sync system is much easier to use and understand in the Fiesta.  Plus I wasn't really impressed with the fuel economy from the Focus.  It seemed to use roughly 1L/100 km more than the typical Toyota Corolla I get as a rental.  The Fiesta on the other had gets marginally better fuel economy than the Corolla, but much more fun to drive.

How did you measure the fuel consumption? In Consumer Report tests the Focus sedan did better than the Corolla.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:20:12 am »

Cheers,
John M.

Another Frederictonian here.  :) I too have seen lots of Titaniums and SELs. Funny, because when I think "nicer car" I think of more features. Nine times out of ten, I will take a smaller car with more features over a more basic larger car. The smaller car will also tend to handle better and get better fuel economy. So it's a win-win-win in my books. The only real downside is that the smaller car may not feel quite as refined, but that's a non-issue for me. Today's compact cars are incredibly quiet and smooth compared to how my '02 Protege5 drove.

A $30k Focus may not compete with Elantras and Corollas, but you can option Mazda 3s and Chevy Cruzes up to that price level. I agree that the thought of a $30k compact car is a bit much to wrap my head around. Just like back in '04 or so when I thought $25k was a lot for a compact.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:28 am »

How did you measure the fuel consumption? In Consumer Report tests the Focus sedan did better than the Corolla.
Using the on board computer and also by taking the amount of fuel I put in the rental before returning it divided by the distance I traveled (gives you a Kpl but easy to get L/100km).  Now I know it's never going to be exact as on board computers are all different with the majority of them over estimating fuel efficiency, and also filling up a rental will never get the car back to the exact level of fuel I had in it when I picked it up.  Consumer Report might have the Focus getting better than the Corolla but I'm also pretty sure that other websites have the opposite viewing (car & driver, motortrend, road & track, etc).

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:35:30 am »
If I were to buy a Focus it would be with out all that technological crap....
Saw a tv show review saying the auto park scraped the side of the front bumper while parking.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:49:34 am »
If I were to buy a Focus it would be with out all that technological crap....
Saw a tv show review saying the auto park scraped the side of the front bumper while parking.

Yep - in one of the earlier reviews here, the author reported a near miss.  But apart from that, I neither want nor need to surrender control of my car to a computer in order to park it.  I love how the author of this review says how great the auto-parking works "once you get the hang of it".  ::)  Same could be said of learning that basic driving skill yourself.

The good news about the $6.5k in options  :o on this test car, is that they are options.  You can arguably buy a better car by opting out of many of them, and spend less as a not insignificant added bonus.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:57:51 am by Jaeger »

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:05 am »
Dodgy autobox or outdated 5 speed. Questionable looks. I'll take a Mazda 3 Sky-activ please, it only shares the questionable looks! It looks like despite having a power advantage and a "direct shift" gearbox the Focus is actually slower in all acceleration tests than the torque converter in the 3 and the 3 also has better fuel economy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Focus is a bad car, it's just playing with some very popular cars (Civic, Corolla, 3, Cruze).

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:14 am »
I just can't understand the psychology behind buying a new Focus (or any new compact for that matter).  Sure, it's a great car with all the latest doodads.  But the writer forgot taxes, which would put the real cost of this car over $33,000 in BC.  And new car insurance will be higher as well, so add that in.

In 5 years this car is worth around $10k give or take.  So you just spent $23k to drive a compact for 5 years.

Even $20k buys a spectacular used car (near new Camry or Accord or Jetta whatever you like) that will still be worth $10k in 5 years.  So you've spent $10k to drive a much better car for 5 years, and saved at least $13k in the process.

Put in your own numbers, but are compact car drivers so wealthy they don't care about this stuff?  I don't get it at all.  I guess having new is really important to a lot of people.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:35:48 am by canuckystan »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 11:43:53 am »
I just can't understand the psychology behind buying a new Focus (or any new compact for that matter).  Sure, it's a great car with all the latest doodads.  But the writer forgot taxes, which would put the real cost of this car over $33,000 in BC.  And new car insurance will be higher as well, so add that in.

In 5 years this car is worth around $10k give or take.  So you just spent $23k to drive a compact for 5 years.

Even $20k buys a spectacular used car (near new Camry or Accord or Jetta whatever you like) that will still be worth $10k in 5 years.  So you've spent $10k to drive a much better car for 5 years, and saved at least $13k in the process.

Put in your own numbers, but are compact car drivers so wealthy they don't care about this stuff?  I don't get it at all.  I guess having new is really important to a lot of people.

I'm at the point where I want new cars. Doesn't make financial sense, but I don't care.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 12:27:26 pm »
Spending $30K on a compact car is ridiculous, I bought my V6 Altima in 05 for $30K and the only thing it didnt have was navigation. Also, again, I dont get it, why buy a small car with a slushbox, most are already underpowered, why do you really want to put the final nail in the coffin with an automatic??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:46 pm »
There seems to lots of confusion out there regarding software updates for the transmission. Perhaps the test unit hadn't had it yet?

MotorTrend has been pretty negative on Ford lately so it was encouraging they found such a big improvement after the software update.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2011/1112_ford_focus_powershift_transmission_is_much_improved/
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

nsmyhte

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »
There seems to lots of confusion out there regarding software updates for the transmission. Perhaps the test unit hadn't had it yet?

MotorTrend has been pretty negative on Ford lately so it was encouraging they found such a big improvement after the software update.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2011/1112_ford_focus_powershift_transmission_is_much_improved/
Yes, Ford is offering this software update but they're not putting out a service bulletin for it so you unless you find out for youself, you may never know about it.  However, I don't think its a complete fix as in that Motortrend article, they found the tranny is improved but still not perfect.  Hopefully Ford actually makes some more significant changes to iron out this tranny's problems.