Author Topic: Made in Canada: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and 2010 Toyota RAV4, Part two  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

In Part 2 of our ‘Made in Canada’ series featuring long-term reviews of the new Chevy Equinox and the popular Toyota RAV4, we discover that despite some design faults, both of these compact SUVs offer impressive build quality.

Read More...

Kyle

2WD IS the only RAV 4 you'll ever need.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:38:13 pm »
I wonder if you are familiar with the purpose of the Automatic Limited Slip Differential on the 2WD RAV4. 

"But that peppy engine, driving the front wheels through a limited slip differential (LSD), has a few drawbacks, most notably a tendency to be skittish under hard acceleration in less than ideal conditions. The LSD transfers power automatically between the left and right wheels, delivering power to the wheel with the most traction, but when both wheels experience poor tractability, for example when the road is wet or snow covered, you can feel the car pull left and right as power moves between the wheels."

The engine does not, as you suggest, drive the front wheels through a Limited slip differential.  It drives the front wheels through an open differential, as is the case with the Camry, Corolla, etc.  The "Auto LSD" feature is not an actual Limited Slip Differential, rather it merely mimics the function of a LSD, using electronics.  It does this using the brakes, similar to the TRAC system of Toyota vehicles, except without the engine rev limiting.  If one wheel starts to slip, it applies the brakes to the slipping wheel, so that the torque can be transferred to the other side, possibly that side will have more traction, helping the vehicle get going again.

However, in order to use the A-LSD, it has to be ACTIVATED!  It will not turn itself on, and is not normally activated during daily driving, as your review would suggest.  This is where the TRAC system comes into play, being always on, automatically, allowing smooth, gradual acceleration with no slipping/pulling to one side.  As per the RAV4 manual, the A-LSD function is there for situations where one is stuck in deep snow or slush, and needs full engine power, in other words, when TRAC will retard too much engine power to allow one to get un-stuck.  When the A-LSD is activated, the TRAC is de-activated.  They operate independently of each other.

To summarize, the A-LSD is not for slippery, snowy conditions where one is, say, trying to accelerate from a stop light.  It is for situations where the vehicle does not have enough traction/power to move.  A-LSD can be activated, and TRAC is automatically disabled, allowing full engine power to the wheels, going one step further than the average FWD car, allowing torque transfer from one side to the other.  To be fair, a few other FWD cars do have this feature, such as some VWs, however not enough IMHO.

When used in appropriate conditions, it is actually QUITE effective. 

This review also gives inconsistent messages with regard to safety. 

" It’s a bit disconcerting at first and you will learn, as I did, to slow down when conditions deteriorate. The RAV4 is fun to drive, and handles snow and ice just fine with an even foot on the accelerator – albeit with quite a bit of chatter from the traction control and antilock brakes."

It should be obvious to ALL Canadian drivers to slow down when conditions deteriorate.  This should not simply be a function of the type of vehicle one drives.

"In my opinion, four-wheel-drive would add an additional measure of security without a huge penalty in fuel consumption"

This 'I have four wheel drive' mentality is why so many trucks and SUVs can be passed in the ditch on a snowy day in Canada as Geo Metros drive on slowly by.  Four wheel drive NEVER adds a measure of security.  By it's very nature, it cannot.  It is a tool used to INCREASE ACCELERATION POWER.  When does anyone feel not safe while accelerating?  Four wheel drive offers no improvement during braking or cornering.  If anything, stopping distances will be longer due to the added weight of the 4WD system, making the vehicle less safe.  Truly the only instance where 4WD excels over a 2WD vehicle equipped with an A-LSD or true LSD is when climbing steep, slippery, snow covered or mud covered hills.  If someone has a steep driveway, lives in the country, etc, 4WD MAY benefit them. 

As a group of professional Auto reviewers, you should be diligent in attempting to not perpetuate myths about auto safety/usability.

I live in Northwestern Ontario have used the A-LSD feature a few times, it is excellent.

cbchoices

Re: Made in Canada: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and 2010 Toyota RAV4, Part two
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:50:01 am »
We bought a New 2008 RAV4 in fall 2007; always gone to dealer for maintenance; and each time complained /questioned the electric motor steering. Car continues to wander. Former front wheel drive cars were a dream to drive. This is a ROYAL PAIN-always having to watch and correct the steering as it wanders left /right/right ALL the TIME. Dangerous . all they ever did was check my tire pressures.

my previous front wheel drive cars were easy on the arms to drive. They basically steered themselves compared to 40+ years of rear wheel drive rigs i owned and maintained myself!!.

And the Dealer knows nothing about how the RAV4 traction control system works-confusion over written papers and what the dealer told me. What do I do in a dangerous condition, what should i expect to happen???  The 4WD under 40kms is great for heavy snows on the back roads.
Not a happy owner-won't ever buy another Toyota if I survive long enough. >:(

aknutson

Re: 2WD IS the only RAV 4 you'll ever need.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »
This 'I have four wheel drive' mentality is why so many trucks and SUVs can be passed in the ditch on a snowy day in Canada as Geo Metros drive on slowly by.  Four wheel drive NEVER adds a measure of security.  By it's very nature, it cannot.  It is a tool used to INCREASE ACCELERATION POWER.  When does anyone feel not safe while accelerating?  Four wheel drive offers no improvement during braking or cornering.  If anything, stopping distances will be longer due to the added weight of the 4WD system, making the vehicle less safe.  Truly the only instance where 4WD excels over a 2WD vehicle equipped with an A-LSD or true LSD is when climbing steep, slippery, snow covered or mud covered hills.  If someone has a steep driveway, lives in the country, etc, 4WD MAY benefit them....

Well stated. I also grew up in a rural community in Northern Ontario (Haileybury) and have never needed anything more than FWD cars, even in the dead of winter. In cold weather, a good pair of snow tires is what increases safety, not all-wheel or four-wheel drive - most SUV and Pickup drivers don't use winter tires, because of 'superior traction' of a four-wheel drive system. Acceleration yes, stopping/turning...no.