Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 MV-1  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 MV-1
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:59 am »

Designed for people with disabilities, the new MV-1 makes it easy for persons in wheelchairs to enter and exit.

Read More...

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
Re: Test Drive: 2012 MV-1
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:54:04 am »
What a great idea! Sounds like this is a product that was well thought out and attention paid to the details. As a former employment counsellor for those with mobility challenges, I know that personal transportation needs are high on the priority list for independence and overall quality of life. $40,000 seems like a very reasonable price when compared to van conversions and other options (as long as "additional features" don't push the price up to $50,000-60,000 and beyond).

We still need, however, to focus upon a public transport system that incorporates the needs of the disabled. Many cities are already doing this.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:49:21 am »
looks like a decent vehicle...my friend is in a wheel chair and currently drives a Caravan conversion, which he purchased new close to 10 years ago (and is getting due to be replaced)...he paid $54k for it, so if this pricing is similar, it should be a pretty decent alternative.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:22:32 pm »
looks like a decent vehicle...my friend is in a wheel chair and currently drives a Caravan conversion, which he purchased new close to 10 years ago (and is getting due to be replaced)...he paid $54k for it, so if this pricing is similar, it should be a pretty decent alternative.

Respect to Ford for building a vehicle like this and at a manageable price point.
Does the government help people in wheel chair purchase such transportation in any shape or form? I hope it does.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:24:17 pm »

Respect to Ford for building a vehicle like this and at a manageable price point.
Does the government help people in wheel chair purchase such transportation in any shape or form? I hope it does.

This particular vehicle isn't made by Ford; it's built by a specialty vehicle manufacturer, using a Ford powertrain.
I used to work here.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:28:58 pm »

Varies by province. Here, there are fund raising groups that will contribute towards the purchase of an adaptive vehicle.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »

This particular vehicle isn't made by Ford; it's built by a specialty vehicle manufacturer, using a Ford powertrain.

Oops. Thanks, Chris. Sorry Ford!  ::)
I guess the author assumed that the readers (or at least me) are intinately familiar with the manufacturer and left out any details about the company itself.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:14:14 pm »
when i was at the Toyota dealership a few weeks ago, i noticed a "accessibility version" of the Sienna there...not sure about the details, but they might be the only one who make one (rather than a separate company)?

i sent my friend the link, and is interested in it, and he plans to go the NAIAS to see if he can get more details of what is available...one thing he wasn't overly impressed with is the 4.6L V8 with 240HP, when Chrysler's Pentastar V6 is 283HP...i admit, he has a point...the 4.6L isn't even used any more (it's last use was the Crown Victoria, i believe), so one would think a more modern power plant might have been a better choice.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:20:58 pm »
when i was at the Toyota dealership a few weeks ago, i noticed a "accessibility version" of the Sienna there...not sure about the details, but they might be the only one who make one (rather than a separate company)?

The Sienna has an accessibility prep package. That van runs about $30k, then the ramp equipment is added to it. Out the door, you're looking at $50k+.

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:07:08 am »
This car is truly alien to what I'm used to seeing on the roads. The only wheelchair accessible vehicles I see are the caravan cabs. This thing is huge, with loads of hp, and weighs five-thousand pounds, it's just weird. Maybe I would feel differently if I took an arrow in the knee.

Fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »
My wife has MD and we waited for the MV-1 to come out before buying an accessible vehicle.  After a long test drive last summer we came away disappointed. We'd
test driven the Honda Element, Toyota, Dodge and Honda mini vans and bottom line, the MV-1also.  Bottom line, it's BIG and has (at least at the time of our test) very
little creature comforts.  The ride was sort of like an unloaded pickup truck, bit of a buckboard, and it was noisy on the inside while driving - road/engine noise.  The price
is right but the wait wasn't worth it.  It is designed as a commercial vehicle and it shows.  In the end we opted for a Braun conversion of a 2011 Dodge Caravan R/T. 
Night and day difference.  The Dodge is still a big vehicle but much more comfortable for driver and chairbound passenger.         

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:57:49 pm »

i sent my friend the link, and is interested in it, and he plans to go the NAIAS to see if he can get more details of what is available...one thing he wasn't overly impressed with is the 4.6L V8 with 240HP, when Chrysler's Pentastar V6 is 283HP...i admit, he has a point...the 4.6L isn't even used any more (it's last use was the Crown Victoria, i believe), so one would think a more modern power plant might have been a better choice.

My assumption is that the manufacturer probably went with an engine that could move the vehicle easily (the 4.6 has decent torque), and that they could get at a reasonable price. I imagine it'd be more expensive to source a motor that's in higher demand than this one.

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:32:22 am »
I took one look at it and said london taxi. This would seem to make a pretty good taxi.
 Unfortunately the review fr. sapphireSeo is probably pretty much what I had expected.
 It's just very difficult for company without the resourcesof a large multi national to
 design and create a viable specialty product and still make money.
Even then one of the very first versions of the  Ford transit connect was the taxi version.
I took one for a test drive, their were positives. But in the end it's literally nothing more than
 a shell with little noise suppression. The last place you would want to spend 12 hours.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 11:40:24 am »
does it really take $30 Grand to convert say a Dodge Caravan to make it driveable for a wheel chair bound person.I'm all for their ability to drive what i am questioning is the UP CHARGE involved.....i'm naive in this area so forgive my questioning if it is unreasonable.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 11:46:48 am »
does it really take $30 Grand to convert say a Dodge Caravan to make it driveable for a wheel chair bound person.I'm all for their ability to drive what i am questioning is the UP CHARGE involved.....i'm naive in this area so forgive my questioning if it is unreasonable.
my friends Caravan was $54k, so that is how much extra it costs (his Caravan isn't a premium trim, so i would guess it was likely a $25k trim model to start with)...the vehicle height is raise (i think the suspension can go up or down), it has a ramp at the side and it is set up for hand controls (as he can't use his feet to drive it)...while imagine the company that outfits them charges a decent amount and makes a profit (obviously), there is still a fair amount of work involved to convert it...i think it would be much better if the "base vehicle" was already capable of the modifications, so all that would be needed is installation of the ramps and hand controls...that would drop the modded vehicle's price substantially.