Author Topic: TESLA Model S  (Read 310944 times)

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Re: TESLA Model S
« Reply #380 on: August 28, 2016, 09:59:19 am »
Sorry, but this picture shows the growth issues out in California. I saw the same thing at the Toronto/Lawrence station last week. Tesla does plan to continue to build up the network of Superchargers, however, right now people wait in line where sales have been greatest. It's not everywhere, but where there's a greater number of Teslas vehicles, there are stations where waiting is an issue. The Model 3 launches in a year, but it's unclear the growth of SCs in more populated areas prior to the launch of the 3.

I can't say I've had to wait along routes on long distance travels (at most I've seen 3 other vehicles at some stops) but let's see what happens over the course of a couple of years.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #381 on: August 28, 2016, 10:10:26 am »
Hey, this line up my buddy spoke of is a fact & an issue for Tesla in California! When he was in Ottawa, he mentioned how he didn't see 1 Tesla & I laughed and let him know there were quite a few, but he still commented how there was no Tesla Store for Ottawa, or supercharging station. Tho he does believe they will be adding both soon.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 28, 2016, 10:45:15 am »
Supercharger line ups are becoming a common thing around big centres!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #383 on: August 28, 2016, 03:25:30 pm »
Hey, this line up my buddy spoke of is a fact & an issue for Tesla in California! When he was in Ottawa, he mentioned how he didn't see 1 Tesla & I laughed and let him know there were quite a few, but he still commented how there was no Tesla Store for Ottawa, or supercharging station. Tho he does believe they will be adding both soon.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Yeah, that picture was taken in California. I've read some crazy stuff goes on out there at times. God forbid if you walk away while your car is charging and it finishes before you return! However, I also see they are planning for more Supercharger development this year. I'll be curious to see Tesla's rollout plans for 2017.

I was surprised that Ottawa didn't have a store or a Supercharger when I looked a couple of months ago - I would have thought Tesla would put something in place in order to get political buy-in. I do, however, see a Supercharger is planned for '16 somewhere in the region. I'm sure a store will follow. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #384 on: August 28, 2016, 07:23:55 pm »
Shouldn't you be able to leave the car in line, and then it would drive itself onto the Supercharger, then leave when it was done and find you?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2016, 09:03:53 am »
 ::) ???  wot is that Musky ODOUR I smell...................Pate de Vache..... :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2016, 09:06:57 am »
Shouldn't you be able to leave the car in line, and then it would drive itself onto the Supercharger, then leave when it was done and find you?

I'm laughing, but you know, at the rate they're going, it might not be a bad idea. Allow for a cueing system that knows which Superchargers are open and available, self-park at a specific Supercharger, move out of the way if no action is taken in a given time or if the charging completes. I know they're working on automated chargers, so it wouldn't be a stretch to do it at some point in the future. Right now, it's a matter of courtesy - which seems to be losing ground with so many people.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2016, 03:41:33 pm »
If some gas stations offered free fuel I bet we would see similar line ups. Those guys have the option to go to another charging station and pay for the charge, no?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2016, 04:02:59 pm »
PAY is not in their vocabulary   moochers all.......from Tax rebates for $120,000 cars to free stuff Progressives ALL....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2016, 04:43:56 pm »
Supercharger line ups are becoming a common thing around big centres!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 30, 2016, 10:28:59 am »
If some gas stations offered free fuel I bet we would see similar line ups. Those guys have the option to go to another charging station and pay for the charge, no?

Yes, Tesla's can use other charging stations by using adapters, however, the speed of charge varies greatly (1 hour vs 8 or more). Part of the problem is that independent charge stations are few and far between. Remember, although EVs have been around for a while, there are varying standards, and until more vehicles come out there's little reason for independents to grow as the current likelihood of profitability is low. There are some in the US, which offer pay-and-go, but that's because there are a greater number of EVs there to begin with.

Tesla Superchargers are the only one that charge at a very high rate (volts and amps) such that it takes about an hour to get fully charged. The other independent charging stations are significantly slower, which is why there is a greater interest in Teslas to begin with. Most people who are using Superchargers are traveling long distances - home charging works the rest of the time.

What is untrue is that Tesla's charging is free. Yes, free as in it's incorporated into the price of the newer models (the first one's had to pay to use the chargers, some lower powered ones pay by fees and when the 3 comes out owners will have to pay. Are there free chargers? Yes, they are the one's setup and mostly used by other EVs. Other than on long distance trips, mine is charged at home at my cost.

Personally, I'm not concerned about "incentives" in terms of rebates. If there wasn't one, I'd still have bought it as it was insignificant to cost of the vehicle to begin with. I agree that if government is going to be involved, it should be for more mainstream EVs to encourage the changeover. I don't see it as a long term solution as eventually those incentives will become too much of a burden as more drivers convert. As I've said, the same applied to HOV lanes.  The incentives will eventually have to run out, but probably not for a decade if carbon emissions are not being met.   

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #391 on: August 30, 2016, 01:35:16 pm »
TheSmokingTire reviews the P90DL

https://youtu.be/slvgVpVCm1U?t=512

Matt does his usual best to give the car he is reviewing a ride up the snake.
He gushes over the Tesla's performance, handling and ride quality.

He also talked about the lack of quality interior, demonstrated how the auto-drive (or what ever they call it) doesn't work very well. If these cars weren't so fast, people wouldn't be talking about them.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 30, 2016, 09:09:39 pm »
TheSmokingTire reviews the P90DL

https://youtu.be/slvgVpVCm1U?t=512

Matt does his usual best to give the car he is reviewing a ride up the snake.
He gushes over the Tesla's performance, handling and ride quality.

He also talked about the lack of quality interior, demonstrated how the auto-drive (or what ever they call it) doesn't work very well. If these cars weren't so fast, people wouldn't be talking about them.

I have a feeling that many of today's mega Tesla boosters were yesterday describing 0-60 and drag racing in general as the domain of the great unwashed. Not any longer! A fast 0-60 time is positively progressive!
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 31, 2016, 07:59:22 pm »
 ::)  Swiftly noted.....from LudiCRASS  to LudiquKOOL........depends on whoms Ox is being Charged to the public purse..... :'(

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 04, 2016, 02:34:23 am »
I've done the homework on Teslas, perused the forums, etc and no way would I spend that kind of money for such a shoddy product

Interesting take.   As a Tesla owner, and former owner of Mercedes vehicles, I cannot agree at all.  Our Tesla is far more premium in feeling due to the way it drives, and the technology included is first class.  As for shoddy, that description makes no sense.   Not a single car reviewer has ever claimed Tesla builds a shoddy product.

If you like a button for every single function in your car, a Tesla is not for you.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #395 on: September 04, 2016, 07:58:09 am »
^^^^ Then again, in the comfortable cocoon that you call reality, it "makes no sense" that anyone could fail to see Tesla as just the bestest car everrrr.  ;D

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 16, 2016, 01:23:01 pm »
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-long-term-test-update-review

I'll put this out there. I think there's merit to some of the problems encountered, perhaps enough to make people ponder a decision, but I don't think it's a bad decision for those who comprehend all the pros and cons of EVs.

I'm sure there will be a few who will respond with blinders on. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #397 on: September 16, 2016, 01:50:38 pm »
I am sorry, I do not have 1%er's money to spend on a car
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:47:33 pm by Airbalancer »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #398 on: September 16, 2016, 02:21:46 pm »
I am sorry I do not 1%ers money to spend on a car

But just think of all the money you will save on gas.  ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #399 on: September 16, 2016, 02:49:53 pm »
I am sorry I do not 1%ers money to spend on a car

But just think of all the money you will save on gas.  ;)
Just think Hydro One will probably raise their off peak time by 10% now to make up for pst savings  :rofl2: